Why are the skeptics here?

Why are the skeptics here?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
You're right - it's his letter to Castelli (1613) that is used to raise the charges - but the letter to the Grand Duchess (1615) (an expansion of the letter to Castelli) is brought into evidence at the trial, the sentence of which is not given till December. So, I stand corrected.

Now, what evidence is there of a PR campaign by Galileo? The first o ...[text shortened]... fic circles, but he hardly needs to be circulating letters and pamphlets for that, does he?
What DO you think a scientific paper is, if not a jumped up, formalised, open letter? Should one be punished for stating ones viewpoint? Anyhoo, this is all irrespective, Galileo was correct in his assertion, and the church wrong in theirs. The church persecuted a man wrongly.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
14 Feb 06

Here's your timeline chart again:
http://galileo.rice.edu/chron/galileo.html

The only mention of Lorini is in the entry for February 1615:
[quote]A Dominican friar Niccolo Lorini, who had earlier criticized Galileo's view [b]in private conversations
, files a written complaint with the Inquisition against Galileo's Copernican views. He enclose ...[text shortened]... h means he did not come up with those arguments in response to his Inquisition charges.[/b]
Sorry, but the grammar on this first quote is horrible. I'm unsure whether Lorini was having the provate conversations with Galileo or with someone else. Setting the Inquisition on Galileo can hardly be considered a good thing to do though...

l

London

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Are you aware what a contradiction is? We can say the Galileo timeline has an omission, whereas the other site the Trial Of Galileo is more detailed. This is unsurprising because it is a law school website regarding a TRIAL, albeit a farcical one.
Contradiction: A & ~A

Your entire case for Letter to Castelli being a response to public criticism is based on the UMKC Law site that claims that Lorini attacked Galileo in public - something your timeline claims was private. That it was, indeed, a private attack is verified by Paula Newell's essay as well (and she is no Church-apologist either).

l

London

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Presumably, Castelli, the Grand Duchess or one of their servants, leaked the letter. Happens all the time nowadays, so why not then. You are suggesting that Galileo made several copies of his letters; so where it your proof?
As one of the sources I cited earlier mentions, the Letter to the Grand Duchess was written as a pamphlet; ergo, it was intended to be distributed.

The question of who published the Letter to Castelli (Galileo or Castelli) is disputed though. In neither case have I seen anything suggesting a leak or espionage.

l

London

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
What DO you think a scientific paper is, if not a jumped up, formalised, open letter? Should one be punished for stating ones viewpoint? Anyhoo, this is all irrespective, Galileo was correct in his assertion, and the church wrong in theirs. The church persecuted a man wrongly.
Read the letters to Castelli and the Grand Duchess (they are easy enough to find on the Web) for yourself. They are most definitively not scientific papers. Theological papers, maybe, but not scientific.

And, btw, from the perspective of a modern physicist, heliocentrism is no more "correct" than geocentrism (Google "modern geocentrism"😉 - which makes perfect sense in Relativism.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
14 Feb 06
2 edits

Originally posted by DragonFriend
I understand why the Christians are here discussing God, but why are the skeptics here? If I can speak generally, the thing skeptics dislike about Christians most is that we're unwilling to change the basis of our faith. So what do the skeptics hope to accomplish with these discussions?

DF
Actually, I think skeptics try everything they can do to disprove God, but they have no where to go with their assumptions. I've heard people on here saying "nothing" came out of "something" until plain sick and disgruntled when off the internet! It saddens me how some people do open their hearts to the love of Jesus Christ. 🙁 Just imagine nothing! No time. No space. No material. All of the sudden, BOOM! Time, space, stars, planets... SOMETHING! Now, the skeptic will say that God didn't do it. They'll say they just don't know what did. And, I say God did it all! Now, doesn't it seem much more solid to know in your heart God did it all rather than say, "Uhhh Duhhh... I don't know. But, I know it wasn't God!" HAHA!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Feb 06
1 edit

Contradiction: A & ~A

Your entire case for Letter to Castelli being a response to public criticism is based on the UMKC Law site that claims that Lorini attacked Galileo in public - something your timeline claims was private. That it was, indeed, a private attack is verified by Paula Newell's essay as well (and she is no Church-apologist either).
My "entire case" hardly rests on whether the Lorini attack was public OR private. Your really grasping at straws to state such nonsense. Galileo need only have known that there were some in the Church stating that Copernician theory was heresy and lobbying for it to be declared such. He was certainly intelligent enough (although you seem intent on claiming he was an idiot) to realize what effect that would have on his writing and teaching. The sites state Lorini was the first and that his attack preceded Galileo's letter to Castelli by a month. It doesn't take much extrapolation to conclude they were related; as you concede, Galileo had pretty good sources of info in the Church.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
14 Feb 06
2 edits

It is most amusing to read that so many skeptics, who claim nót to believe in myths and always accuse their opponents of doing so, actually dó believe in myths, their own myths ..... The Galileo myth, as it grew over the centuries in the bosom of their ideology, is one of them. No trace whatsoever of their "skeptical" mind in these cases. No trace of wanting to actually see what is historically relevant. They all think alike. They all think like sheep ...... skeptical sheep .... Heap scorn and derision on them !
I've seen and experienced more skeptical minds in the realm of religion than in the minds of these followers of secular fashion .......

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
It is most amusing to read that so many skeptics, who claim nót to believe in myths and always accuse their opponents of doing so, actually dó believe in myths, their own myths ..... The Galileo myth, as it grew over the centuries in the bosom of their ideology, is one of them. No trace whatsoever of their "skeptical" mind in these cases. No trace of want ...[text shortened]... inds in the realm of religion than in the minds of these followers of secular fashion .......
Only the most utterly brainwashed person could write that post and actually, sincerely believe it. I've been waiting to see some historical evidence that supports the idea that Galileo was persecuted because he believed in and wrote about the heliocentric theory is a "myth"; I'm still waiting.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
14 Feb 06

Only the most utterly brainwashed person could write that post and actually, sincerely believe it. I've been waiting to see some historical evidence that supports the idea that Galileo was persecuted because he believed in and wrote about the heliocentric theory is a "myth"; I'm still waiting.
You haven't even grasped the essence of your own myth ..... but keep on trying.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
14 Feb 06

It is most amusing to read that so many skeptics, who claim nót to believe in myths and always accuse their opponents of doing so, actually dó believe in myths, their own myths ..... The Galileo myth, as it grew over the centuries in the bosom of their ideology, is one of them. No trace whatsoever of their "skeptical" mind in these cases. No trace of want ...[text shortened]... inds in the realm of religion than in the minds of these followers of secular fashion .......
skeptical sheep???

LOL

Ba-a-a-a-a-d metaphor

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Feb 06
1 edit

You haven't even grasped the essence of your own myth ..... but keep on trying.
I cannot grasp the essence of something that does not exist. There is no "myth" of Galileo's persecution; just the cold, historical facts.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
14 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by telerion
skeptical sheep???

LOL

Ba-a-a-a-a-d metaphor
No, exactly to the point .... there is something dead wrong with the self image of these would be skeptics ..... sorry.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
14 Feb 06

I cannot grasp the essence of something that does not exist. There is no "myth" of Galileo's persecution; just the cold, historical facts.
I just love people with a great sense of humour ......

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Feb 06

no1-

Actually it does, in one of the narrative pages.

So, is your Galileo timeline chart (the one you cited from) wrong then?

EDIT: Just pointing out that two of your sources apparently contradict each other on a factual matter. Or are both correct - did Lorini attack Galileo in private in 1612, give him an apology; then attack him in public in 1613 and give him another apology before going to the Inquisition in 1615?
Your EDIT seems the correct version since it harmonizes the various sources; the private attack might not have seemed important enough for the timeline; I'm sure numerous clerics attacked the idea of heliocentricism in PRIVATE.