1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 May '18 17:062 edits
    Are all US war time Presidents glorified?

Looking at the major memorials in Washington DC, it would appear to be the case. You have the Washington memorial, the Lincoln memorial and the FDR memorial. Then off to the side you have Jefferson, the only major memorial who was not a war time President.

And anytime you ask who were the greatest Presidents, the same war time Presidents, aside from Jefferson, keep popping up at the top of the list.

So what are we to make of this?

One question mark was President Wilson. Where is his grand memorial? Granted, he was a terrible President, so perhaps that is why. He was just that bad. Likewise, Jefferson had a memorial, despite not being a war monger, but he was just that good to over look as one of the best. However, there are areas in Washington DC that pay tribute to Wilson, which is more than the average President obtains.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 May '18 17:09
    Originally posted by @whodey

Looking at the major memorials in Washington DC, it would appear to be the case. You have the Washington memorial, the Lincoln memorial and the FDR memorial. Then off to the side you have Jefferson, the only major memorial who was not a war time President.

And anytime you ask who were the greatest Presidents, ...[text shortened]... s in Washington DC that pay tribute to Wilson, which is more than the average President obtains.
    Wrong forum Whodey?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 May '18 17:10
    Yes, I know, I posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks for that.....or did I?

We can spin this towards hero worship. What makes us worship certain men/women more than others? Does leading a major army to victory guarantee such worship?
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 May '18 17:19
    Yes, I know, I posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks for that.....or did I?

We can spin this towards hero worship. What makes us worship certain men/women more than others? Does leading a major army to victory guarantee such worship?
    I don't believe in hero worship.

Bobby Fischer
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 May '18 21:19
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I don't believe in hero worship.

Bobby Fischer
    Really? Is there no one you would ask for an autograph?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    27 May '18 21:29

And anytime you ask who were the greatest Presidents, ...[text shortened]... s in Washington DC that pay tribute to Wilson, which is more than the average President obtains.
    What is more memorial than a President that goes to war in defense of liberty, not just for Americans but also in defense against tyranny abroad?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 May '18 21:31
    Really? Is there no one you would ask for an autograph?
    Thats an American thing.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    27 May '18 22:15
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Thats an American thing.
    If it's American, it's a good thing.

You can have your own opinion.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 May '18 23:20

That is a good question though this is objectively more of a 'debate' forum question. Sorry to point that out. It is just my OCD kicking in, I guess.

The answer would be rather simple... War time is something that is far more memorable and at such a time it is very vital to have solid leadership.

I imagine, just the same, had Lincoln or FDR lost the war due to their own incapabilities and mismanagement, they would be vilified.

It could even be said that LBJ & Nixon both have a blemish on their Presidential record and were both in charge during the most controversial periods of the Vietnam war. We always think of them as having performed poorly.

Watergate oddly enough stands out more about Nixon. So, in a sense, that diminishes the Vietnam effects.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree