1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 14:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "refute them, no", or "refute them to my logical and evidence-based ideal of the way things should be, otherwise I'll reject it, no"?

Refutations have been given here, but the best some atheists can do is claim how stupid they sound because they have no basis in logic or proof.

I can defend my faith until the cows come home, but it is all just illogic ...[text shortened]... sts in the absence of proof. And that's illogical to you. And so we reach the impasse.
    If it isn't based in logic, reason, and evidence then it is not proof.
    It is not that they sound stupid, its that they are stupid.

Faith proves nothing, as demonstrated by the multitude of contradictory
    faiths of people around the world.

Blind faith (what you call true faith) is by definition illogical and idiotic.
    If that is your basis for belief then you have no basis for belief.

That you assert with pride that your beliefs have absolutely no foundation
    and pour scorn on those who refuse to believe based on absolutely no proof
    is religions most dangerous aspect.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 15:28
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]Was Abraham Lincoln a Christian ?

I think he probably ended as a believer in Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fMpEjEUxK4[/b]
    My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them. Abraham Lincoln
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 17:023 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them. Abraham Lincoln

Joe, I do not doubt that Abe Lincoln could have once said that. I do not doubt that he once said even stronger things than that.

I just believe at this time, as I said, probably he became a believer in Christ in the latter time.

It is not that hard to simply believe that Christ is alive and available to be reached out to by the heart. One does not have to decide many hundreds of contraversial issues. One simply reaches out in prayer to Jesus Christ for comfort. Christ Himself is faithful and willing to receive men. Christ is eager to welcome people.

At the present time I think, judged by the research presented on that video, eventually Abraham Lincoln reached out to Christ in faith.

According to that research he wanted to make a public confession. But he was assasinated before having the opportunity.

Maybe the research is in error. But there is no particularly extraordinary reason why it should not be reliable. In a moment a man or woman may decide to reach out in prayer to Christ even with many problems.

That is why the classic Christian hymn "Just As I Am" has been so resonant of the experience of many who came to Jesus eventually.

YouTube

I do not think either the title or animation of this video is good. But it contains some useful history just the same.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 17:27
    Feelings and hopes are not to be confused with evidence, or the lack thereof!
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 19:22
    Feelings and hopes are not to be confused with evidence, or the lack thereof!
    Site the evidence presented which you reject.

The only thing I questioned was how did anyone know what Abe was talking about when he was shot.

If there is other evidence you reject, specify it.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 19:25
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Most people seem to think an atheist cannot be elected in this day and age because people who believe in god will not vote for him/her.

I am assuming this is correct. Why is it correct? Do people distrust atheists? Why do spiritual people discriminate against atheists?
    It is because 90% believe in something.

So that is only about 24.6 Million Voters that are athiest's.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Site the evidence presented which you reject.

The only thing I questioned was how did anyone know what Abe was talking about when he was shot.

If there is other evidence you reject, specify it.
    I do not know if Abraham Lincoln became a believer in Jesus Christ or not.

Since the last post I have read more statements pro and con written since the days of the Civil War. It seems to have been a contraversy ever since.

God knows.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '11 00:03
    That's a pitty. 🙁
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '11 02:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That's a pitty. 🙁
    I am sure 1rst century Pharisees could have displayed some selected quotes of one Saul of Tarsus and determine that it was impossible for him to have ever believed in Christ.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 00:04
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It is because 90% believe in something.

So that is only about 24.6 Million Voters that are athiest's.
    So what. That does not explain why theists cannot accept an atheist.

At least 90% of people masturbate too. Should I campaign as a masturbating theist?
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 00:49
    So what. That does not explain why theists cannot accept an atheist.

At least 90% of people masturbate too. Should I campaign as a masturbating theist?
    you don't understand the psychology behind it. christian conservatives are indoctrinated to distrust non-christian theists and they're indoctrinated to distrust atheists even more.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 06:03
    It's very simple: when over 90% of one's constituency believes there is a God/Supreme Being, and one wants to get elected, one SHUTS UP about religious issues. There's a rule in boxing that worls well in politics and life----don't lead with your chin.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 16:49
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    you don't understand the psychology behind it. christian conservatives are indoctrinated to distrust non-christian theists and they're indoctrinated to distrust atheists even more.
    Why would they distrust atheists even more than other theists? Atheists are neutral. Do they believe atheists are doing the work of the devil? What exactly is the root of it?
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 16:51
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    It's very simple: when over 90% of one's constituency believes there is a God/Supreme Being, and one wants to get elected, one SHUTS UP about religious issues. There's a rule in boxing that worls well in politics and life----don't lead with your chin.
    Atheists don't talk about religious issues. They are not religious.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '11 19:09
    Atheists don't talk about religious issues. They are not religious.
    This statement is evidently not true.

First, you don't have to be a theist to discuss theism.

Second, this forum has many atheists on it who discuss many theistic issues.

Third, many issues get claimed as 'religious issues' but which effect everyone religious or not.
    (abortion springs to mind here)

Fourth, in the context of a politician running for office, if you have to appear to be a theist to
    run and get elected then why wouldn't you expect people to lie about their theosity like they
    lie about anything else inconvenient to their election chances?

Fifth, even without evidence to the contrary, you have just made a positive statement that
    requires justification to be taken seriously. Yet you make it with no justification or proof at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree