1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 11:17
    Originally posted by bbarr
    What about them? No.
    You forgot to ask epiphinehas whether he was familiar with them too.
    How do you know?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 12:33
    Cancer might be had to explain with religion, but is very easy to explain with science.

Actually, the development and accumulation of malignant mutations in tumor cells is a good and observable example of evolution.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 19:01
    Originally posted by pulzar
    You forgot to ask epiphinehas whether he was familiar with them too.
    How do you know?
    I didn't forget any such thing. If you have an argument, present it.
  4. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 19:08
    Originally posted by pulzar
    What about material, formal, and efficient causes as well? Or is the whole concept of causation merely a habit of mind as Hume maintained?
    There's nothing Idealistic about Causation.
    PS-Can you post your reference to Hume?
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 19:40
    Originally posted by mdhall

PS-Can you post your reference to Hume?
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hume/

Scroll down to the two sections on causation.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 11:22
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I didn't forget any such thing. If you have an argument, present it.
    I asked you to present your argument refuting Hume's assertion that the concept of causation is merely a 'habit' of mind. Still waiting.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 12:57
    Originally posted by amenhotep4
    I asked you to present your argument refuting Hume's assertion that the concept of causation is merely a 'habit' of mind. Still waiting.
    Hmm. A forum search shows that this is your first post on the forums. 😵
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 14:19
    Originally posted by amenhotep4
    Hume never claimed that the concept of causation was a habit of mind. He claimed that the concept of a necessary connection between cause and effect was an error of projection. What we actually experience in cases of causation (contiguity, priorty and constant conjunction) leads us to mistakenly infer the presence of a necessary connection between cause and effect. Since I am not a thoroughgoing empiricist about concept formation or conceptual content, it is perfectly open to me to claim that our concept of causation is a priori and contains the notion of necessity. Rather than regularity serving as the basis for a projective error, I can claim that regularity provides empirical evidence for a necessary connection.
  9. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 18:10
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Question: Why did God create cancer?

Bad answer that I've heard many times: God did not create cancer. Rather, it came to be as a result of the Fall.

Why it's a bad answer: God himself created the consequences of the Fall, so he's obviously not off the hook for this one.
    god did create cancer, just like god created war, hatred, murder, rape, torture etc....

however, he also created love, kindness, beauty, peace, harmony, laughter etc....

contrary to belief, god did not create only the good, you cannot recognise one without having the opposite to compare it to, god is not all about good, but about balance

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree