1. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 23:591 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    what did god do with his time before he created everything?

Who care.

what made god do it?

Love.

what does god get out of it?

Glory.

what will god do when its all over?

Judge.

if you create some thing can you do what you want with it?

Duh.

if you create something are you the boss of it?

Personal Choice.

does god have emotio ...[text shortened]... o are his emotions similar to humans?

Yes.

does god ever wonder where he came from?

No.
    LMAO - Glory

of course a god has need for a human to workship him. This would be to make God feel better when he was having a bad hair day right?

To apply human terms to a god figure makes it look even more ridiculous. Your God is a selfish glory hunter, this seems to contradict most of what the (New Testament) bible says.

Seems you are guessing....
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:22
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what did god do with his time before he created everything? what made god do it? what does god get out of it? what will god do when its all over? if you create some thing can you do what you want with it? if you create something are you the boss of it? does god have emotions? if so are his emotions similar to humans? does god ever wonder where he/she came from?

could somebody help me with these questions.
    Sensible questions. maybe you should have started with "If there is a god ..."
    I dont see why atheists and theists could not both contribute.

A thread for each question would be better ...
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Sensible questions. maybe you should have started with "If there is a god ..."
    I don't see why atheists and theists could not both contribute.

A thread for each question would be better ...
    Well if it's a question of asking people what they believe the answer to the questions is.

Then the atheist response is that there is no evidence that god exists and that these
    questions are thus meaningless....

Apart from then posting "and how can you POSSIBLY know that?" after every theist response
    there is not much more to offer.

If the OP is interested in what different theists fairy stories actually are then I am not sure what
    contribution to the discussion an atheist could make... of course if you used to be a theist then
    you could say what you used to believe... but then you would be contributing more as an ex-theist
    than as a present day atheist.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:481 edit
    what did god do with his time before he created everything? what made god do it? what does god get out of it? what will god do when its all over? if you create some thing can you do what you want with it? if you create something are you the boss of it? does god have emotions? if so are his emotions similar to humans? does god ever wonder where he/she came from?

could somebody help me with these questions.
    The process of 'de-anthropomorhizing God' is the process that you need understand, along with some other basic spiritual/psycological stuff.
    Firstly there is no being who is called "God" , with a big "g".
    God is very hard to explain because it has so many facets and can possibly the most versatile word I've ever come across for explaining/answering stuff.
    But I could explain 'god' as the focal point of all our energies, that we are all apart of , whether we like it or not,and that we all have "god-seed" within us when we are born and we can "hatch" that seed, or it can lie dormant your whole life.
    So if you want to pursue my line of reasoning I will have to assume that "broadly speaking" you agree with the first 3 lines of my post?(This is pretty much the 'doorway' for me for further conversation 😀 ... and a sense of humour )

If so then let me know and I can continue if you wish.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:58
    its was peoples opinions i was looking for. im not a beliver myself, but im facinated in what and why people do believe.
    Personal experience for me. I feel that is the only real way to connect to the "divine".

If I didn't have those set of experiences in my life , then I would not be into religion/spirituality in any way otherwise .

I think its SOMETIMES sad when kids just follow in their parents footsteps with politics and religion. One needs to think for oneself, and then if they agree, then all good.
    But there is a lack of any serious enquiry into this matter by most young couples (by young I mean 20-30) in my neck of the woods anyway. It seems most people are happy to adopt the new guy/gals religion no worries! They wouldn't give it a second thought.
    It's this LACK of any serious spiritual thinking that makes for things like "Religious Education" for my kids school , but then just preaches christianity 😛

C'mon Aussies, where the hell are yas???? We got a hell of a big country down here- many mysteries,etc. in the outback, eh?
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes he did, because the earth had become filled with violence,
    and his solution to fix this problem was...more violence.

and did he manage to solve the problem after all? nope. violence is still around.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:24
    1. no one can say what God did prior to the creation of time and the beginning of the
    universe (a now scientifically verifiable fact which the Bible writer had somehow
    managed to get correct in the very first sentence of the Bible) In the beginning......

2. Does God have emotion, yes indeed,

(Genesis 6:6) . . .And Jehovah felt regrets that ...[text shortened]...  . .

3. Why did God create the Universe, why does any artist create, simply because they can.
    There are no doubt myriads of things we do not know about Jehovah God, but Rev 20:11-15 says that " new books or scrolls"will be opened after armegeddon. We know some will be used for judging by what is written down in them, but it mentions other books will be opened. Perhaps we may learn more about Jehovah then and after our relationship with him is repaired.
    We know the basics on a small scale now as he has told us what he wants us to know and need to know. That may change sometime in the future...

Revelation 20:11-15
    Good News Translation (GNT)

The Final Judgment
    11 Then I saw a great white throne and the one who sits on it. Earth and heaven fled from his presence and were seen no more.
    12 And I saw the dead, great and small alike, standing before the throne. Books were opened, and then another book was opened,the book of the living. The dead were judged according to what they had done, as recorded in the books.
    13 Then the sea gave up its dead. Death and the world of the dead also gave up the dead they held. And all were judged according to what they had done.
    14 Then death and the world of the dead were thrown into the lake of fire. (This lake of fire is the second death.)
    15 Those who did not have their name written in
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:501 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Of course religious teaching exists irrespective of gods existence.
    I never claimed otherwise.

I simply stated that without evidence backing it it's nonsense pulled
    out of thin air.

Arguing about what god is like without any evidence IS instant fail
    as you put it.

However the OP seems to be asking what people believe... which is
    a perfect ...[text shortened]... my posts.

Particularly when the insults you throw apply much better to your
    own offerings.
    I shouldn't worry about criticism if I were you, i barely read my own posts never mind yours.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:51
    I shouldn't worry if I were you, i barely read my own posts never mind yours.
    That, is evident.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:531 edit
    That, is evident.
    Is that not what I just said or are you displaying a rather uncanny propensity for stating the obvious?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 01:59
    Is that not what I just said or are you displaying a rather uncanny propensity for stating the obvious?
    I was stating that it is evident that you don't bother to read posts, including yours.
    In other words it shows...

Which is probably why you failed to understand my exceptionally clear post, (and riposte)
    and thus made the post I am now responding to...

You really should actually read what people post.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 02:00
    I was stating that it is evident that you don't bother to read posts, including yours.
    In other words it shows...

Which is probably why you failed to understand my exceptionally clear post, (and riposte)
    and thus made the post I am now responding to...

You really should actually read what people post.
    sorry i hardly read that, ill just say it must have been more unadulterated double
    concentrated bum and be done with it.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 02:056 edits
    its was peoples opinions i was looking for. im not a beliver myself, but im facinated in what and why people do believe.
    Opinions!! I have been known to have a few.

As a Christian, I believe that love holds the key to these mysteries, since God is said to be love in the scriptures and because Christ said that love is at the heart of all of God's commands and St. Paul even said that in the end only love is eternal as everything else passes away.

So what is love? If you wish a definition of love, look up 1 Corinthians 13. It is by far Puals best work. In a nutshell it says that it matters little how smart you are, how wise you are or how much faith you have. In the end it all turns to ashes but if you have love you actually have a measure of worth as you effect eternal outcomes. In addition, Paul even admits that his own knowledge of God is like looking at his reflection in a poor mirror, but one day we will behold him face to face and see his glory portrayed as pure love.

So what does love have to do with the price of tea in China? Well a mutually loving relationship demands a choice to love the other back, hence free will exists. Without free will, God would either be loving or hating himself back while in full control. Conversly, with free will an all powerful God could choose to relinquish his full power and control over our free will and our free will only. If so, it would explain his interest in us. After all, as grand and infinite as the universe may be, God would have full control over everything. What would be the point? You may as well play tic tac toe with yourself. 😕

As far as what God did before, it is my view that when God created the universe, he created time. You see, he came from another deminsion other than a material universe. Time is merely a property of such a material universe. Whatever realm he came from or whatever realm the material universe was birthed is and always will be a mystery because we have no point of reference to understand it. This material universe could have been made specifically to create free will in us if such free will is truly the only real point of interest.

Does God hae emotions? You tell me since he is known as the love God. It makes alot of since considering that love holds such importance to us and we have emotions. After all, man was said to be made in God's image. In addition, pretty much anything you create is also a reflection of who you are in terms of what is important to you and makes you tick. I think that God is no different in this respect.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 05:41
    Well if it's a question of asking people what they believe the answer to the questions is.

Then the atheist response is that there is no evidence that god exists and that these
    questions are thus meaningless....

Apart from then posting "and how can you POSSIBLY know that?" after every theist response
    there is not much more to offer.

If the ...[text shortened]... e... but then you would be contributing more as an ex-theist
    than as a present day atheist.
    The question may be meaningless to you but to others with imagination it is not.

Can you imagine JK Rowling thinking to herself " IF magic and wizards existed what would their schooling be like? ..... forget it ... there is no magic .... the question is meaningless ... I'll get to the ironing ...l"

I see no problem with imagining what attributes a supernatural creature who created everything might have - even though the liklihood of such a creature (IMHO) is as close to zero as makes no difference.

Its just a bit of fun! Lighten up.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 09:41
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The question may be meaningless to you but to others with imagination it is not.

Can you imagine JK Rowling thinking to herself " IF magic and wizards existed what would their schooling be like? ..... forget it ... there is no magic .... the question is meaningless ... I'll get to the ironing ...l"

I see no problem with imagining what attributes a s ...[text shortened]... ture (IMHO) is as close to zero as makes no difference.

Its just a bit of fun! Lighten up.
    Not to mention that Rowling would have to pay a lot of acknowledgement here and there to Pratchett!! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree