1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:142 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Feel free to opt out of this challenging question on Jesus claim to his deity any time you like.
    Actually Jesus was claiming nothing of the sort. How do i know Jesus was claiming
    nothing of the sort? because i know what he states for i have studied the Greek text.
    Do you? no you do not, all you have is your dogma. Feel free to ignore the text when
    matters of Christ's supposed divinity comes to the fore, it would be nothing if not
    consistent. In fact, i dont believe you actually know what Jesus was claiming, do you.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:152 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It is clear that you have not the slightest idea what you are talking about, here are
    your words AGAIN,

Conclusion: One or two words being different, out of context, is hardly a basis for an
    argument.

what words are you talking about? you dont know, do you. what context are you
    referring to, you dont know do you. In fact, its not even u know so much about it, at least
    enough to tell others what they know and do not know.
    Find a translation that supports your claims.

"Before Abraham was born, I am."

is different from

"Before Robbie called me out, tomtom slaphead I am."

I;
    pron.
    Used to refer to oneself as speaker or writer.

am;
    v.
    First person singular present indicative of be.

Conclusion: "I(subject) am(predicate)" is a complete sentence and thus it is not the construct of the sentence in error but robbie whom is in error.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:19
    Actually Jesus was claiming nothing of the sort. How do i know Jesus was claiming
    nothing of the sort? because i know what he states for i have studied the Greek text.
    Do you? no you do not, all you have is your dogma. Feel free to ignore the text when
    matters of Christ's supposed divinity comes to the fore, it would be nothing if not
    consistent. In fact, i dont believe you actually know what Jesus was claiming, do you.
    Why were the people picking up stones to stone him then?

Are you actually going to try to answer the question, or just continue to bluster on about other stuff?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:201 edit
    Why were the people picking up stones to stone him then?

Are you actually going to try to answer the question, or just continue to bluster on about other stuff?
    why did they pick up stones to throw at him on other occasions, because of his divinity, yeah, right.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:21
    why did they pick up stones to throw at him on other occasions, because of his divinity, yeah, right.
    So you accept that Jesus was claiming his divinity?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:224 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Find a translation that supports your claims.

"Before Abraham was born, I am."

is different from

"Before Robbie called me out, tomtom slaphead I am."

I;
    pron.
    Used to refer to oneself as speaker or writer.

am;
    v.
    First person singular present indicative of be.

Conclusion: "I(subject) am(predicate)" is a complete sentence and thus it is not the construct of the sentence in error but robbie whom is in error.
    well duh, there is a greater grammatical structure than the simple verb 'to be', but you
    dont know that, because you dont know what you are talking about. Greek is not
    English, just saying. You may do better if you actually look at the Greek construct,
    there are two verbs in the phrase, 'before Abraham came to be, i am', both linked, by
    a preposition. You really aught to stop concluding things which are nothing of the sort.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:231 edit
    So you accept that Jesus was claiming his divinity?
    i claim you dont know what Jesus was saying, do you. In fact i challenge you to
    demonstrate how you know what Jesus was claiming.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:29
    well duh, there is a greater grammatical structure than the simple verb to be but you
    dont know trhat, because you dont know what you are talking about. Greek is not
    English, just saying. You may do better if you actually look at the Greek construct,
    there are two verbs in the phrase, 'before Abraham came to be, i am, both linked, by a
    preposition.
    Yes, Greek is not English. You cannot accurately translate Greek to English without great understanding of both languages.

there are two verbs in the phrase, 'before Abraham came to be, i am, both linked, by a
    preposition.

Whats yer point? You could say, "I am before Abraham" or, "before Abraham, I am."

"Came to be" is independent of "I am before."
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 22:374 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Yes, Greek is not English. You cannot accurately translate Greek to English without great understanding of both languages.

[b]there are two verbs in the phrase, 'before Abraham came to be, i am, both linked, by a
    preposition.

Whats yer point? You could say, "I am before Abraham" or, "before Abraham, I am."

"Came to be" is independent of "I am before."[/b]
    yeah right, in isolation.

In most sentences where we see a past tense verb and a present tense verb, we
    would assume that the action of the past verb is earlier in time than the action of
    the present verb, (John wrote the book that I am reading. 'Wrote', happened before
    'am reading'.) This is true in most cases in Greek as well as English. But in John
    8:58, this is not the case, and we know its not the case because the preposition
    'prin', 'before', coordinates the relationship between the two actions represented by
    the verbs. This preposition tells us that the action of the verb in the present tense
    'am', happened (or began to happen or was already happening) 'before', the action of
    the verb in the past tense (came to be)

Professor Jason David Bedhun, Truth in translation, accuracy and bias in English
    translations of the New Testament, page 105

A quick glance at Smyths Greek grammar reveals that what we are dealing with in
    John 8:48 is a well known Greek idiom. The pertinent entry is section 1885
    on verb tenses, which states, 'the present. when accompanied by a definite or
    indefinite expression of past time, is used to express an action begun in the past
    and continued in the present. The 'progressive perfect', is often used in translation.
    Thus . . . . 'I have been long (and am still) wondering' . I think you can see
    immediately that this entry applies to John 8:58, where the present verb . 'eimi', is
    accompanied by an expression of the past tense, 'prin Abraam genesthai'.

Professor Jason David Bedhun, Truth in translation, accuracy and bias in English
    translations of the New Testament, page 106

not so, i know that when someone asks me, 'what do you do'?, i do not reply, 'before
    i was a submarine commander Robbie the chess player, i am.' Did it take a great
    understanding of English grammar to know that? No, it is self evident. The
    translators of the Greek text in producing the translation in the way they do have
    ignored basic English grammatical construct.
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 23:11
    Oh no. Another thread filled with arguments over nouns, verbs, predicates, prepositions, present participles, "I know more Greek than you do" ...

😴
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 23:171 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Oh no. Another thread filled with arguments over nouns, verbs, predicates, prepositions, present participles, "I know more Greek than you do" ...

😴
    then why dont you go do something less boring instead, like, lets see, plasticine, or
    lego, or play with your dolls or start your own enthralling thread.
  12. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 23:21
    This thread was doing just fine until you injected your "I know Greek more than anyone else" holier-than-thou, self-aggrandizing .... stuff.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 23:23
    This thread was doing just fine until you injected your "I know Greek more than anyone else" holier-than-thou, self-aggrandizing .... stuff.
    no it was doing fine until your ignorant butt showed up, now either entertain us, or beat it bozo.
  14. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 23:26
    I wouldn't be surprised if you were an alter-ego of Dasa.

All this crap about everyone else is ignorant.. bashing people as ignorant of your wisdom when they disagree.

It's a real turn-off. Ya know?

😴
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 23:311 edit

😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree