1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Joined
    12 Mar '02
    Moves
    15128
    22 Mar '05 11:44
    now - i feel that i am quite a logical and well-educated person. i went to a good school (in the top 10 in scotland) and am studying maths and computer science at a good univeristy. so, why do you think i have faith?
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Joined
    06 Jan '04
    Moves
    171019
    22 Mar '05 11:56
    Originally posted by genius
    now - i feel that i am quite a logical and well-educated person. i went to a good school (in the top 10 in scotland) and am studying maths and computer science at a good univeristy. so, why do you think i have faith?
    I don't know, but its really your problem.
    When I went to university, there were lots of new things to try out and new people to meet and exchange ideas with. The sort of people you'd never have met before (even at the top ten schools in Scotland). Young, impressionable people try out new things - religion, politics, drugs, sex, beer, lectures. (Not at the same time, of course).
    I had a friend who got into transendental meditation, and ending up teaching it, others who fried their brains with drugs, others who got very political.
    Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    22 Mar '05 12:03
    Originally posted by genius
    now - i feel that i am quite a logical and well-educated person. i went to a good school (in the top 10 in scotland) and am studying maths and computer science at a good univeristy. so, why do you think i have faith?
    Are you asking because you have yet to formulate an opinion based on self-realisation, or because you are curious what others might think the reasons?

    Assuming it is the second, I shall happily lay out my views on this, though you may not like them, I do not intend to cause offence by stating them.

    I believe there are several possibilities for a person to have belief in the supernatural, or specifically in this case, god:

    1)That the person has been habitualised through his early development by exposure to religious doctrine and as such has taken on beliefs to fit into his social/parental/cultural/educational environment.

    2)That the person has yet to truly examine his own self intensely and judge his own reasons for a belief, being is it is a popular stance when brought up in a majority Christian environment.

    3)That the person does not have the mental capacity to fully understand either the implications of his belief, or the case opposing such belief.

    4)It is not entirely impossible that there is a genetic link to the potential for supernatural belief and as such, (for whatever reason it may be present) it may be predetermined that the person in question will find religion attractive. Which religion he/she may choose is another matter. I remain impartial to this awaiting further evidence, but do not dismiss the posibility.

    5)That ther person has gone too long being unchallenged in his belief to ever allow it to falter, lest he risk a collapse of his ego and the factors which govern his persona.

    6)That the person is in moral, emotional, social need and finds some of what religion offers to be a support in his life. Because religion has given them this support, they are unlikely to bite the hand that feeds them and as such will defend their position vehemently.

    7)The person has not studied the processes of reasoning which might offer an alternative view.

    Or any combination of two or more of the above points. There is, I suppose, also the possibility of a mental instability as well, but for the moment I will leave this aside.

    I think it highly unlikely that a person chooses religion actively, with a clear, unbiased mind, no outside influence, after a comprehensive period of self-analysis and under their own speed. I would be interested to hear your reasons and whether you fill any of the criteria above.
  4. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    22 Mar '05 12:09
    you know it in your heart, then it all is , the education why does that bother you? we are taking from the tree of knowledge as eve did learning all the time. only when religion says the sun orbits us or we are the centre of universe, its for the truth to come out with science and as christians to learn,
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    22 Mar '05 12:14
    Originally posted by stoker
    you know it in your heart, then it all is , the education why does that bother you? we are taking from the tree of knowledge as eve did learning all the time. only when religion says the sun orbits us or we are the centre of universe, its for the truth to come out with science and as christians to learn,
    So rather than answering the question you are denying that the question should be asked at all? Anyone that does not question is doing themselves a serious disservice and abandoning their intelligence entirely.
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    22 Mar '05 22:32
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Are you asking because you have yet to formulate an opinion based on self-realisation, or because you are curious what others might think the reasons?

    Assuming it is the second, I shall happily lay out my views on this, though you may not like them, I do not intend to cause offence by stating them.

    I believe there are several possibilities for a perso ...[text shortened]... eed. I would be interested to hear your reasons and whether you fill any of the criteria above.
    I fit none of the above, Starr...I feel left out. 🙁
  7. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    55285
    22 Mar '05 22:49
    Originally posted by genius
    now - i feel that i am quite a logical and well-educated person. i went to a good school (in the top 10 in scotland) and am studying maths and computer science at a good univeristy. so, why do you think i have faith?
    My first answer should be: If you're so well educated, why misspell the title?

    But, on a far more intersting note, I have a very learned friend who has a theory that religion is based in genes.

    One either has a genetic inclination to believe or not.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    22 Mar '05 22:50
    Originally posted by genius
    now - i feel that i am quite a logical and well-educated person. i went to a good school (in the top 10 in scotland) and am studying maths and computer science at a good univeristy. so, why do you think i have faith?
    I think you have faith because you are irrational - assuming you are a Christian. It does depend on what exactly your faith claims, however.

    Or, you may know something I don't - something you cannot or will not communicate to me.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    23 Mar '05 10:39
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I fit none of the above, Starr...I feel left out. 🙁
    Perhaps you would like to lay out the reasons you do believe then, so we can see for ourselves?
  10. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Mar '05 10:45
    Originally posted by Starrman
    So rather than answering the question you are denying that the question should be asked at all? Anyone that does not question is doing themselves a serious disservice and abandoning their intelligence entirely.
    i would never deny anyone the right to question, but my reading of this post was "why do i belive" so i was trying to explain belief from my own personel belief to help the question. as i stated i question religiuos teachings but still belive in my god and when i here teachers of religion tell parishners do you want to go to hell if they question them, i shudder from inside.
  11. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Joined
    16 Nov '03
    Moves
    88863
    24 Mar '05 11:58
    Originally posted by stoker
    i would never deny anyone the right to question, but my reading of this post was "why do i belive" so i was trying to explain belief from my own personel belief to help the question. as i stated i question religiuos teachings but still belive in my god and when i here teachers of religion tell parishners do you want to go to hell if they question them, i shudder from inside.
    Well there is hope for you yet.
  12. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    97738
    24 Mar '05 15:19
    Originally posted by genius
    now - i feel that i am quite a logical and well-educated person. i went to a good school (in the top 10 in scotland) and am studying maths and computer science at a good univeristy. so, why do you think i have faith?
    You believe that you got a good education. And that what life path,that you are on, your education will sustain you.
Back to Top