Why do protestants prefer Paul over John?

Why do protestants prefer Paul over John?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Mar 16
4 edits

You mean I don't commit to what you thought you mind read me thinking. When I say "I never said" its because I never said, and you are attributing to me stuff I do not hold nor have claimed to hold. Its not that I 'don't commit to them' its that I don't hold them at all. The problem is you keep wanting me to commit to stuff you made up about me. Sorry, but I am not interested in playing that game.

I am reading through your response. And as I read, "What I mean," will be demonstrated.

tw:
What Richard Carrier shows is that the most rational explanation (and in some cases, the only rational explanation) is that fiction is being written.

me:
In which cases. Give TWO that there is no other explanation except fiction is being written in the Gospels.

If you back off now and rationalize that I don't understand what you wrote, I will probably point out that you don't want to commit to what you wrote.
TWO cases in the Gospels - IT CAN ONLY be fictional writing -

tw: Go watch the debate again, Carrier lists several.

That is what I mean by non-committed. This is a disguised tactic to avoid committing to two top arguments that you claim show fiction writing.

Oh, there were now "several" such arguments, none of which you will commit to specifically. I have to go watch it again. I've been through the video probably more times than you. Some of Carrier's reasons to identify fictional myth making I have already posted a number of responses to.

Moving on then.

me:
So then, if I don't accept his argument and refute it .... well, it doesn't matter because acceptance is not required. Another unassailable posture.

tw:
No, you have misunderstood. You are free to try and refute his argument. You didn't. You misunderstood his argument.

You are absolutely free to declare something has not be refuted. For rebuttal is not persuasion.

And I am free also to say, it is ridiculous to think Carrier has proved that the Gospels are mythical fiction writing.

Not because two thieves dying reminds him of two brothers ambitious to be on the left and right, it is not demonstrated.
Not because there is a Lazarus in the Gospel of Luke and another Lazarus in the Gospel of John, it is not demonstrated.
Not because the writing about Jesus' death and resurrection reminds Carrier of the story of Daniel and the Lion's den, it is not demonstrated.
Not because Carrier thinks God SHOULD have handled and resurrection of the Son of God in a manner similar to what Richard Carrier prefers, it is not demonstrated.
Not because there is some apparent symbolism in the way in which the Gospel writers wrote some things about Jesus, IE, "And the third day a wedding took place..." ( John 2:1), is fictional myth proved.

And I am not going to mention all or more of Carrier's points in this post.
This is a representative sample of failed arguments to prove his point IMO.

Clearly, the better explanation is that a miracle occurred.
No, that is most definitely not the better explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree.

me:
This argument is something like saying "We know God could not have created the world because that would interfere with the separation of church and state."

tw:
No, not at all.
Its like saying: We know that Last Thursdayism is a perfectly valid philosophy, but if you want anyone else to buy into it, you have to provide evidence.

I don't know what Last Thursdayism means or is suppose to mean.
I do know what it means to start from an Atheist's a priori assumption that God does not exist and miracles do not happen. [/quote]

I do know what it means for Richard Carrier to say something like "historians have to figure natural causes first before supernatural ones."

The posture is right. But I think what he really means is that supernatural events in history should never be considered. He's an atheist, after all.

me:
Richard Carrier is a historian. He is also an Atheist who has a metaphysical bias that not miracle could occur in human history. Or naturalistic explanation should be sought before supernatural explanations.

tw:
Correct.

I don't think he has any intention whatsoever to consider God's existence or that a miracle could occur. But he would take on a posture that he be open to consider that a miracle of resurrection occurred.

Actually, he's no more open to this then you are.
Carrier enjoys his celebrity with Internet Infidels and atheists.

It is unlikely that the disciples proclaiming that Jesus rose from the dead, would include in thier "fiction" that the opposing body of critics buried their Master.
And how do you know that? It seems perfectly likely to me.

And another thing, while I think of it. The contraversy over exactly WHERE this tomb is argues, I think, that the disciples down through the subsequent years were more occupied with the fact that He was not buried but was alive.
Or they knew he was entirely fictional. Note Carriers argument that if Jesus were a real convicted convict they would not have been so eager to announce to the world that he was walking free.

[quote]
It is Carriers position that no such 'powerful enemies of Jesus' existed because neither did Jesus.

So you commit to Jesus never existing then ?
So you commit that Jesus never existed so no enemies of Jesus ever existed ?

If you don't then that is a second example in this post of you being what I call - non-committal. You'll probably say - No, that is just Richard Carrier's argument.

tw:
The authorities of the time seemed remarkably unconcerned about the new cult claiming that an escaped convict was on the loose.

Since the first century CE Judiasm, a major world religion, has structured much of itself around the rejection of Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah.

So you're committing now to say that the criticism of Jesus by Jews, and on the other hand the criticism of Jews by Gentiles (rightly or wrongly) has been a dispute over a non-existent person who had no enemies ?

If you rationalize that you are not saying that, then I would hold that as the third example in this post of your non-committal argumentation.

tw:
But I must note here that I do not need to 'commit' to explaining this to you. Its not as if I have any strong opinions on the matter.

So in the matter of the historicity of Jesus, you, twhitehead have no strong opinions ?
I think you do.

I think Carrier makes some very good points.

But when I asked for TWO top ones, you said go watch the video and find several.
I think the more I watch the more I will notice how weak his points really are.

One thing I can think of at the moment that I would look into more was his reference to a stone from the community which produced the Dead Sea Scrolls. I looked it up and found it an interesting observation.

"Interesting" isn't enough though to establish his saying a resurrection of Jesus is a good explanation for what happened in Jerusalem and to the 11 apostles.

It is not up to me to defend him or commit to anything. I would be interested in anyone who can show that he has made serious errors or can show that his general argument has flaws, but so far you have utterly failed to do either and seem more interested in finding a way to attack me personally by assigning to me views I do not hold or deliberately and maliciously suggesting I have said things I have not.

I have not utterly failed. You are not really interested in what you say you are interested in. You're interested in holding on to an Atheist position. Don't call this "mind reading". I am reading your mind as expressed in your written responses.

And what I see is you saying, as usual, whatever I might say about the reasonableness of the Gospel accounts, you can propose a alternative invalidating concept, with a little help from a fellow atheist historian.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Mar 16
1 edit

Sloppy writing on my part.

"Interesting" isn't enough though to establish his saying a resurrection of Jesus is [not] [edited] a good explanation for what happened in Jerusalem and to the 11 apostles.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Mar 16

Originally posted by sonship
That is what I mean by non-committed. This is a disguised tactic to avoid committing to two top arguments that you claim show fiction writing.
It is neither non-committal nor disguised. You write such lengthy posts bringing up new often irrelevant stuff in every one that I simply cannot address every single line you write. In this case I simply can't be bothered to go back and re-watch the video then type it all out for you at which point it will turn out that you don't even understand what I said and will attack a strawman that you made up and then you will try ten other dishonest tactics to try and cover your tracks.
I am not committed to dealing with you tired old tactics.

You know what I meant and you know I am right.

And I am free also to say, it is ridiculous to think Carrier has proved that the Gospels are mythical fiction writing.
Neither I nor Carrier has made that claim.

I don't know what Last Thursdayism means or is suppose to mean.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Last_Thursdayism
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Last_Thursdayism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalos_hypothesis

But I think what he really means is that supernatural events in history should never be considered. He's an atheist, after all.
I highly recommend you learn to take words at face value instead of always trying to mind read what people mean when what they say is something completely different. Address the arguments made not the arguments you made up.

So you commit to Jesus never existing then ?
No. I do not have enough information do decide either way. I think Carrier makes a good argument in other videos that Jesus is most likely entirely mythological, but I haven't got enough knowledge in the field to know whether Carrier's arguments are well founded. I hopped to see some counter arguments but nobody wants to discuss it.

If you don't then that is a second example in this post of you being what I call - non-committal.
No, its an example of you expecting me to commit to something you made up ie you want me to believe something I don't and commit to something you want me to believe.
Will you commit to the story about an Apple falling on Newtons head leading to him discovering gravity? No? Are you being non-commital?

So you're committing now to say that the criticism of Jesus by Jews, and on the other hand the criticism of Jews by Gentiles (rightly or wrongly) has been a dispute over a non-existent person who had no enemies ?
Irrelevant.

If you rationalize that you are not saying that, then I would hold that as the third example in this post of your non-committal argumentation.
No, it is the third time you are making up something you want me to believe.

So in the matter of the historicity of Jesus, you, twhitehead have no strong opinions ?
I think you do.

You think wrong.

Don't call this "mind reading". I am reading your mind as expressed in your written responses.
And then claiming that I think things I don't. Your reading comprehension is abysmal.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Mar 16
1 edit

No. I do not have enough information do decide either way. I think Carrier makes a good argument in other videos that Jesus is most likely entirely mythological, but I haven't got enough knowledge in the field to know whether Carrier's arguments are well founded. I hopped to see some counter arguments but nobody wants to discuss it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give me two of your favorite arguments from Richard Carrier so it can be discussed.
I tried to ask you before. You said to go listen to the video and find several (or some such similar thing).

So I ask again. From the video, in your next post to me - two of Carrier's arguments you are most impressed with.

If you list them, I will go back and listen if I need to.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Mar 16

Give me two of your favorite arguments from Richard Carrier so it can be discussed.
I tried to ask you before. You said to go listen to the video and find several (or some such similar thing).

So I ask again. From the video, in your next post to me - two of Carrier's arguments you are most impressed with.

If you list them, I will go back and listen if I need to.
I do not have favourites. I listened to the video once and thought he made a very good argument that the gospels contain mythical material ie were made up and written for purposes other than recording history.
All I have seen so far from you in response is something along the line of "Yeah it does look mythical but maybe, just maybe, God intended it that way.'. Hence my reference to Last Thursdayism. Have you read the references I gave on that yet?
I do not have enough Biblical knowledge to support any of Carriers claims and do not know how well founded they are, but the fact that you didn't seem to dispute his facts, suggests he got most of it right. I have no real interest in doing the necessary research to see if he is right and am even less motivated given that it would almost certainly turn out that he is right and it would not phase you one bit ie there would be no point.

The best I can do for you is put forward my own understanding as it has always been prior to ever hearing of Richard Carrier:
The story of Jesus' birth in a manger and three wise men following a star and coming to visit him then Herod ordering a whole lot of babies killed etc. Even the story of his mother being visited by an angel. None of that seems to me to be the sort of thing a writer many years after his death would have knowledge of. It seems to me the best explanation is that those parts of the story were made up. Now I am not necessarily looking at the supernatural elements of the story, but saying that if we take the story from a purely non-supernatural historical perspective, are those parts of the gospels reliable historical records or not? I say, clearly not.
Now you might very well counter that the information came to the writers via divine inspiration or some such, but that would be to entirely miss the point and misunderstand what I am saying just as you appear to not understand Richard Carriers argument.

Can I also ask you this: do you believe the story about thousands of corpses rising from the dead soon after the resurrection and roaming about through Jerusalem is a true story ie do you believe that happened?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Mar 16
3 edits

I do not have favourites. I listened to the video once and thought he made a very good argument that the gospels contain mythical material ie were made up and written for purposes other than recording history.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that more than just history was being written. But history was being written too. You say "other than". I say history and more were being penned.

All I have seen so far from you in response is something along the line of "Yeah it does look mythical but maybe, just maybe, God intended it that way.'. Hence my reference to Last Thursdayism. Have you read the references I gave on that yet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. I did not read about it.
I was looking for what you are not ready to discuss yet.

I do not have enough Biblical knowledge to support any of Carriers claims and do not know how well founded they are, but the fact that you didn't seem to dispute his facts, suggests he got most of it right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agreed with a claim or two of his. I did dispute some of his interpretations of things.

He says, there are literary devices in the writing of the Gospels. I can't possibly argue with that. I agree.

There are probably some literary devices in The Diary of Ann Frank too.
Now some of the things Carrier pointed to as symbolism was really his imagination gone kind of wild.

The sequence of the events is different in John from Matthew. Matthew seems to have had a kind of purpose in placing events in the order that he did, to communicate a deeper meaning. So that not just history was being written, I would not disagree with.

I have no real interest in doing the necessary research to see if he is right and am even less motivated given that it would almost certainly turn out that he is right and it would not phase you one bit ie there would be no point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think happened to the body of Jesus ?
How would you explain the empty tomb ?
Do you think His disciples stole away the body and lied about the rising of Jesus ?

Do you think they actually believed He had risen but He had not ?
How did that come to be then ?
Any proposals?

Matthew tells of a story that circulated around Jerusalem until the present day that he was writing, that the disciples had stolen the body of Jesus.

"And as they were going, behold, some from the guard came into the city and reported to the chief priests all that had happened.

And after the chief priests had gathered with the elders and had taken counsel, they gave a large sum of money to the soldiers, Saying, Say this,

HIS DISCIPLES CAME BY NIGHT AND STOLE HIM AWAY WHILE WE SLEPT.
[excuse the caps]

And if this comes to the governor's ears, we will persuade him and make sure that you have nothing to worry about.

And they took the money and did as they were instructed. AND THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN WIDELY SPREAD AMONG THE JEWS UNTIL THIS VERY DAY." (Matt. 28:11-15)

Do you believe that the writer of the Gospel of Matthew, believed that this account of a stolen body of Jesus (whether true or false) was still circulating around the Jewish population at the time this account was being written ?

Do you believe such an account (true or false) was indeed circulating around ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Mar 16
3 edits

The best I can do for you is put forward my own understanding as it has always been prior to ever hearing of Richard Carrier:
The story of Jesus' birth in a manger and three wise men

Excuse me. What it SAYS ... is that THREE gifts were offered.
It does not SAY only three wise men came.
And it is not impossible that other gifts were brought BESIDES the three that are mentioned to have been given.

It mentions PLURAL "wise men" .
That simply means more than one wise man.
It mentions that plural wise men brought three gifts.

Continue.

following a star and coming to visit him then Herod ordering a whole lot of babies killed etc. Even the story of his mother being visited by an angel. None of that seems to me to be the sort of thing a writer many years after his death would have knowledge of.

Excuse me. It could be written of IF Mary or Joseph or one of those shepherds or one of those GUARDS, had latter CONTRIBUTED to the journalistic research the Gospel writer was doing to recollect the history.

Am I right ? If eyewitnesses TO the events, or a combination of eyewitnesses of the events ASSISTED the Gospel writer, then the Gospel writer WOULD have that information.

Please consider Luke informing his audience -

" Inasmuch as many have undertaken to draw up a narrative concerning the matters which have been fully accomplished among us,

Even as those who from the beginning became eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us,

It seemed good to me also, having carefully INVESTIGATED all things from the first, to write them out for you in an orderly fashion, most excellent Theophilus,

So that you may fully know the certainty of the things concerning which you were instruct4ed." (Luke 1:1-4)

It seems to me the best explanation is that those parts of the story were made up.

Then you have to account for men simultaneously publishing a document full of exhortations which amount to an extraordinary high level of honesty and morality will lying through their teeth and grinning all along.

"We are going to LIE, LIE, LIE outrageously. But at the same time we are going to write about a man's teaching of the highest level of integrity and moral perfection ever and dedication to ethical uprightness, a dedication that cost Jesus His life and is likely (and did) cost the lives of us the apostles of Jesus."

Now I am not necessarily looking at the supernatural elements of the story, but saying that if we take the story from a purely non-supernatural historical perspective, are those parts of the gospels reliable historical records or not? I say, clearly not.
Now you might very well counter that the information came to the writers via divine inspiration or some such, but that would be to entirely miss the point and misunderstand what I am saying just as you appear to not understand Richard Carriers argument.

I didn't make that point above. I made the point that eyewitnesses testimony surely could have contributed to the compilation of historical facts. Though on the spiritual side I do believe in the divine inspiration of Scripture. It is not necessary to appeal to that to address your doubt above.

Some of the shepherds may have still been alive to testify.
Some of the guards may have still been alive to testify.
Some of the neighbors who witnessed the events may have still been alive to testify.
They may have testified BEFOREHAND and these accounts were well known.

Can I also ask you this: do you believe the story about thousands of corpses rising from the dead soon after the resurrection and roaming about through Jerusalem is a true story ie do you believe that happened?

I do not believe corpses appeared. I believe resurrected human beings appeared.
I do not believe "walking dead" appeared TV style or Hollywood horror movie style.
I believe some prophets were resurrected and appeared as Matthew says.
But he doesn't say much about it. And I have no idea where they went afterwards.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Mar 16

No. I did not read about it.
I was looking for what you are not ready to discuss yet.
But how can we have a discussion if you don't know what I am saying? My point about Last Thursdayism is key to what I have been saying. I am starting to suspect you do know what it means by wish to appear ignorant so that you don't have to address it.

The sequence of the events is different in John from Matthew. Matthew seems to have had a kind of purpose in placing events in the order that he did, to communicate a deeper meaning.
Actually those who have studied the Gospels in detail would say that it is more than just 'a kind of purpose'. There are key differences in many parts of the gospels that have to do with sophisticated literary devices or specific theologies being pushed or the target audience. For example I have heard that Matthew is targeted a Jews, whereas Mark is targeted as non-Jews.

I have no idea. I strongly suspect that the body never went missing in the first place. I think it is possible that Jesus is entirely mythological and it is possible he existed and was crucified. I think it unlikely that claims about his body being missing are historical.

I have not done enough research on the matter to hold an opinion.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Mar 16

Excuse me. It could be written of IF Mary or Joseph or one of those shepherds or one of those GUARDS, had latter CONTRIBUTED to the journalistic research the Gospel writer was doing to recollect the history.
Of course it is theoretically possible. I however find it highly unlikely.

Am I right ? If eyewitnesses TO the events, or a combination of eyewitnesses of the events ASSISTED the Gospel writer, then the Gospel writer WOULD have that information.
Is that what you believe happened?

Then you have to account for men simultaneously publishing a document full of exhortations which amount to an extraordinary high level of honesty and morality will lying through their teeth and grinning all along.
That is remarkably common amongst Christians and other religions today. I see no reason why it would be different back then. Of course they wouldn't describe it as 'lying through their teeth'.

"We are going to LIE, LIE, LIE outrageously.
I very much doubt that the gospel writers thought their audience would believe every word to be factual history. It think they fully expected their audience to be more sophisticated than that and understand the literary devices being used.

Some of the shepherds may have still been alive to testify.
Some of the guards may have still been alive to testify.
Some of the neighbors who witnessed the events may have still been alive to testify.
They may have testified BEFOREHAND and these accounts were well known.

But do you think they did?

I do not believe corpses appeared. I believe resurrected human beings appeared.
I do not believe "walking dead" appeared TV style or Hollywood horror movie style.
I believe some prophets were resurrected and appeared as Matthew says.
But he doesn't say much about it. And I have no idea where they went afterwards.

So Jesus' resurrection wasn't particularly unique from a historical perspective. Surely the appearance of all those resurrected prophets would be far more interesting than one missing body? Yet we have only Matthew recording it in all historical record of the time. Kind of destroys all your other arguments.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Mar 16
5 edits

But how can we have a discussion if you don't know what I am saying? My point about Last Thursdayism is key to what I have been saying. I am starting to suspect you do know what it means by wish to appear ignorant so that you don't have to address it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a similar way you admit that you do not know the text of the New Testament. So it is easy for you to be impressed with Dr. Carrier who often plays fast and loose in his references to passages.

You may be impressed but I am not always that impressed because I have read carefully the NT.

I am watching even more of Richard Carrier now. I have gone on to another debate and Q and A, with questions to both debaters from the audience.

Actually those who have studied the Gospels in detail would say that it is more than just 'a kind of purpose'. There are key differences in many parts of the gospels that have to do with sophisticated literary devices or specific theologies being pushed or the target audience. For example I have heard that Matthew is targeted a Jews, whereas Mark is targeted as non-Jews.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally speaking, I have no objection to each evangelist having his own particular emphasis. And each has his own particular portrayal of the character of Jesus.
He is a King here in Matthew.
He is a Slave there in Mark.
He is a most normal and moral Man in Luke.
He is God Himself incarnate in John[b].

This and other writer specific characteristics of each evangelist has been known.

The fact of the matter is that Jesus Christ as a very profound person requires discussion from different angles and targeted towards somewhat different interests.

This indication does not render the writing not historical.
[b]

I have no idea. I strongly suspect that the body never went missing in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you strongly suspect that ? Do you strongly suspect there existed no body of Jesus to go missing for that matter ?
Do you suspect Jesus was never born and thus had no body to do anything ?

I think it is possible that Jesus is entirely mythological and it is possible he existed and was crucified. I think it unlikely that claims about his body being missing are historical.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if you only suspect it and do not commit to it, no position is always the easiest to defend.

The early sect of the Docetists didn't believe He could possibly be physical. There reasons were not because there was no Jesus. But their reasons were that they believed He was too good to BE physical.

This is history. Your very early Christian apologetics was not aimed at critics who said "What Jesus? Who is this Jesus? We never heard of any Jesus!." Rather the very early apologetic was aimed at critics who said -

[b]"Jesus, He could not have been physical. He was too good to be material. The material world is bad. This man could not have been flesh and blood like us."

It was to this criticism that John addressed his postscript that blood and water was seen coming out of His body on the cross.

" But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water. " (John 20:34)

Now listen to the emphatic additional comment the writer makes, which stands out as a unusual personal note in the whole Gospel of John.

"And he who has seen this has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he says what is true, that you may also believe." (v.35)

1.) Who actually wrote this is secondary, though I believe it was John.

2.) Finding some logical fallacy in the argument, like "But he says he knows that what he writes is true" is also secondary. It is not that important to refer to rules of logical argument right here.

What is important, I think, is that the writer goes out of his way to underscore this particular matter among many matters that he could have emphasized.

IE. "Look, I saw blood, human blood and water pouring from the wound in His body. He was not a phantasm. He was not an immaterial appearance as the Docetists or Gnostics would argue. He was a genuine man who can BLEED. I saw Him BLEED blood and water."

And in the First and Second Epistle of John we have the same emphasis. The writer is not arguing for the existence of a Jesus. He is inoculating his audience against the error that Jesus was too good to be physical. He WAS a man come in the flesh.

" For many deceivers went out into the world, those who do not confess Jesus Christ coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.(v.7)

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not say to him, Rejoice! For he who says to him, Rejoice, shares in his evil works." (v.11)

Look at the document historically. It was very important that the consciousness be preserved in the early church that Jesus not just existed - but He came in human flesh as a genuine human man.

I have told you this before. You still don't get it. Historically, you don't get it.
Your suspicion would be worth more if we had documents evidencing debate that the mere existence of any Jesus of Nazareth was hotly contested.

But you don't read the New Testament, don't know even the bulk information given there. So it is easy to brush the whole matter aside with "I doubt there was ever a body to be missing."

" ... it would have been impossible for Christianity to come into being in Jerusalem if Jesus' body were still in the grave. The Jewish authorities would certainly have produced it as the shortest and completest answer to the whole affair. But all they could do was claim that the disciples had stolen the body. Thus, the hypothesis of religious enthusiasm, in failing to explain the absence of Jesus' corpse, ultimately collapses back into the hypothesis of conspiracy and deceit, which, Paley remarks, has pretty much been given up in view of the evident sincerity of the apostles, as well as their character and the dangers they underwent in proclaiming the truth of Jesus resurrection." W.L. Craig

Since you probably don't trust William Lane Craig on anything, I refer you to skeptic best selling author Bart Erhman.

" ... the earliest accounts we have are unanimous in saying that Jesus was in fact buried by this fellow, Joseph of Arimathea, and so it's relatively reliable that that's what happened. We also have solid traditions to indicate that women found this tomb empty three days latter."
[My bolding]

Hard to bury anyone in a tomb who has no physical body, don't you think ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Mar 16

I have not done enough research on the matter to hold an opinion.

Well, with your quite superior reading comprehension to my own "abysmal" level, why don't you gird on a bit of courage and READ at least Mark or Luke from the crucifixion of Jesus to the end of those gospels.

I am up to my ears in Richard Carrier now, listening to his ideas. He writes that the real myth is that Jesus was buried in heaven ! He never was on the earth. He was a celestial mythic figure, according to Carrier, who gradually took on an earthly existence.

Now, I'll tell you what I think Richard Carrier has done. He has taken his extensive knowledge of non-canonical writings of every spurious kind and used them to say - "The Gospels were made out of these other ideas."

He has taken his knife of textural criticism to cut up in hundreds of pieces the New Testament and thoroughly separate from each other the pieces. "Divide and conquer" - an old technique. "Kill the beast, by cutting it up into pieces." Then Carrier stitches together the pieces with the threads of his voluminous knowledge of apocryphal and spurious religious writings from whatever century he wants, and tries to re-invent Jesus.

To make an analogy with, let us say, a American rock star - Elvis Presley. Now I can vouch that a rock star Elvis Presley was a real person. Yet a whole lot of nonsensical things about Elvis Presley have been said and claimed and written in scandal magazines, pop entertainment magazines, Elvis memorabilia shops, Elvis sightings, Elvis wannabe imitators, etc. etc.

Two thousand years from now, some future historian could collect all the nonsensical things written around Elvis worshippers and claim -

"It is doubtful that Elvis Presley ever existed. The myth was produced out of all this material I have researched. From this piece and that piece and this piece and that piece, gradually a historical person was concocted who never really lived."

I do not like to put the two men to compare with each other. But the point is made. Richard Carrier has lain his hands on a plethora of spurious and some more serious religious literature to argue that these are the sources of a wholly imaginary person.

He calls Paul outright a liar. "Paul lied" about this and that, Carrier says. I think Carrier is projecting his own style onto an Apostle Paul.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Mar 16

Well, with your quite superior reading comprehension to my own "abysmal" level, why don't you gird on a bit of courage and READ at least Mark or Luke from the crucifixion of Jesus to the end of those gospels.
Because I just can't be bothered. And no, it wouldn't take courage, just time. I am not scared of reading the Bible any more than you are scared of reading the Harry Potter books.

Now, I'll tell you what I think Richard Carrier has done. He has taken his extensive knowledge of non-canonical writings of every spurious kind and used them to say - "The Gospels were made out of these other ideas."
And he makes a remarkably good case.

To make an analogy with, let us say, a American rock star - Elvis Presley. Now I can vouch that a rock star Elvis Presley was a real person. Yet a whole lot of nonsensical things about Elvis Presley have been said and claimed and written in scandal magazines, pop entertainment magazines, Elvis memorabilia shops, Elvis sightings, Elvis wannabe imitators, etc. etc.

Two thousand years from now, some future historian could collect all the nonsensical things written around Elvis worshippers and claim -

"It is doubtful that Elvis Presley ever existed. The myth was produced out of all this material I have researched. From this piece and that piece and this piece and that piece, gradually a historical person was concocted who never really lived."

And would they not have a good case? Can you not think of any similar figures that were in fact mythical? Would you like me to list a few?

He calls Paul outright a liar. "Paul lied" about this and that, Carrier says. I think Carrier is projecting his own style onto an Apostle Paul.
And of course I believe that you project your own style onto the Bible too.
What you seem to misunderstand is that Carrier is not necessarily saying 'This is the only possible interpretation, and I know exactly what Paul was thinking when he wrote this'. Instead he is giving reasonable interpretations as to what Paul might have been on about. So to counter him you need to stop repeating over and over that Carrier hasn't PROVED that the new Testament is entirely Myth, but instead provide some reason to think that your interpretation is better than Carriers. And importantly, any argument you use should apply equally well to any historical document. So if I apply your reasoning to other religious books of other religions we should not suddenly change the methodology, but you should stick to the methodology and accept the conclusions.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Mar 16

Because I just can't be bothered. And no, it wouldn't take courage, just time. I am not scared of reading the Bible any more than you are scared of reading the Harry Potter books.

Just because it is a good case (if it would be) doesn't make it true.
Plenty of consistent arguments lead to conclusions which are false.

And he makes a remarkably good case.

---------------------------------------------------------

That is easy to be said by someone too apathetic to actually read the documents he is critiquing.

And would they not have a good case? Can you not think of any similar figures that were in fact mythical? Would you like me to list a few?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am more interested in realizing that historians have probably more reason to believe in the historicity of Jesus than in that of Alexander the Great or Tiberius Caesar.

And of course I believe that you project your own style onto the Bible too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of your most prominent examples from this thread ?
Don't fall back on an argument from apathy.

(And notice, I didn't say you were necessarily wrong. I just request a couple of examples)

What you seem to misunderstand is that Carrier is not necessarily saying 'This is the only possible interpretation, and I know exactly what Paul was thinking when he wrote this'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said Paul lied.
Dr. Richard Carrier has not a tenth of the honesty Paul had, less than a tenth probably.

Here I don't care if he used the word necessarily or not.
I lost respect for the good "Dr." by so much, I find it difficult to waste any more time with him.

Instead he is giving reasonable interpretations as to what Paul might have been on about. So to counter him you need to stop repeating over and over that Carrier hasn't PROVED that the new Testament is entirely Myth, but instead provide some reason to think that your interpretation is better than Carriers.

Again, easy for you to say, hiding behind apathy to actually have to consider the documents seriously.

And importantly, any argument you use should apply equally well to any historical document. So if I apply your reasoning to other religious books of other religions we should not suddenly change the methodology, but you should stick to the methodology and accept the conclusions.

----------------------------------------------------------

You cannot examine my reasoning because you are conveniently hiding behind apathy so as not to examine the relevant documents of the New Testament.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Mar 16
1 edit

Just because it is a good case (if it would be) doesn't make it true.
Plenty of consistent arguments lead to conclusions which are false.
Agreed.

I am more interested in realizing that historians have probably more reason to believe in the historicity of Jesus than in that of Alexander the Great or Tiberius Caesar.
Well then make your case. Richard Carrier, a historian, has made his case that from a historical perspective, the balance of evidence points to Jesus being entirely mythical. If you feel you can make a similar case about Alexander the Great then lets hear it. If you feel Richard Carriers case is not solid then lets hear it. But make sure you know what his case is, as you have till now appeared to miss it entirely.

Two of your most prominent examples from this thread ?
I am getting tired of that ridiculous tactic. Just take my statement at face value.

He said Paul lied.
Dr. Richard Carrier has not a tenth of the honesty Paul had, less than a tenth probably.

Ha ha. And since we are comparing honestly levels, you have a thousandth of either of them. And lets have two examples from the video of Carrier being dishonest, and two examples of Paul being exquisitely honest.

Here I don't care if he used the word necessarily or not.
I lost respect for the good "Dr." by so much, I find it difficult to waste any more time with him.

Your respect is not required. Only your understanding. If you don't understand his argument, you cannot provide counter arguments.
If you can't be bothered, fine, just don't claim to have provided counter arguments.

[b]Again, easy for you to say, hiding behind apathy to actually have to consider the documents seriously. [b]
I am not 'hiding behind apathy' and I do not have to consider the documents seriously. You appear to be still suffering from the delusion that I am a secret theist. I am not.

Moves
06 Mar 16

Thanks. I asked for it. You provided it.
Sometime this week I'll look at it.
I'm waiting.