1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 04:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Among the 265 popes are 43 whose names have been used only once. The list includes Linus, Eusebius, Agatho, Sisinnius, Formosus, Romanus and the improbable Hilarius

I think Hilarius II would be a really cool name name for a pope.
    I was genuinely hoping for a Pope Thomas.

St Thomas is one of my idols in the Bible.

Nemesio
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 04:52
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Pope Benedict has chosen his name because it refers to a "program" he wants to realise during his pontificate. The name tells us something about the Pope's intentions, his intended policies.

Saint Benedict is one of the patrons of Europe. He, and others, brought Christianity, the Christian values and civilisation to Europe. The present Pope has the in ...[text shortened]... enedict XVI will do the same (New Age, moral relativism and the autonomy of the human self).

Saint Benedict is one of the patrons of Europe. He, and others, brought Christianity, the Christian values and civilisation to Europe. The present Pope has the intention of doing exactly the same: the (re-)evangelisation of secular Europe.

Wow. Looks like Darfius, due to his Biblical prophecy conspiracy theory, might know something the rest of us don't!
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 04:521 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio
    I thought his Gospel wasn't even allowed in the Bible. Since it was supposed to be sayings of Jesus, why was the Gospel of St. Thomas omitted (I know you've addressed this before, but I've never actually saw the reasons)?

EDIT: Do you dispute that Hilarius II would be a cool name for a pope?
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:01
    I thought his Gospel wasn't even allowed in the Bible. Since it was supposed to be sayings of Jesus, why was the Gospel of St. Thomas omitted (I know you've addressed this before, but I've never actually saw the reasons)?

There are a couple of reasons. The first is that it was a Gospel used in the Gnostic
    tradition and has redactions and interpretations which are decidely inconsistent with
    the Synoptic accounts (though this didn't stop St John's Gospel from being added).
    The second is that, in its present form, it is a late compilation. While there are seeds
    within the account which are as old as anything in the Synoptics, their form and
    adaptation is the product of hundreds of years of revision. As such, if one is interested
    in as reliable an authority as possible for the transmissions of the words or deeds of
    Jesus, the Gospel of St Thomas is not going to be high on the list of sources.

In any event, I didn't mean the Gospel of St Thomas is one of my idols; I meant that
    the character St Thomas (as described by St John) is one with whom I greatly identify.

EDIT: Do you dispute that Hilarius II would be a cool name for a pope?

It would be sweeeeeeeeeeet, indeed.

Nemesio
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:08
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Well, if I had a bent for circular thought and accepted that I was not autonomous because somebody told me I wasn't, I suppose it might be a real bummer.

But as is, I really couldn't care less. If anything, it should make for some amusing copy-and-paste material from you in the forums. I can see the headlines now:
    "German leader convinces masses to do his bidding."

Which means what ?
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:09

Which means what ?
    In summary, no I'm not really bummed out. Every cloud has a silver lining.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:09

Nemesio

I wonder what his program would be ?
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:11
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    In summary, no I'm not really bummed out. Every cloud has a silver lining.

That's right, Dear Doctor .... never dispair.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:11

Sincerity, admission of weakness, submission to the Holy Spirit, to start with.

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:12

If Cardinal Ratzinger had adopted the name Pope Hilarius II would you still think just as highly of him?
  11. London
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:171 edit

Nemesio
    Personally, I would love to see a Pope Thomas as well; named not just after the Apostle St. Thomas, but also St. Thomas Aquinas, the Angelic Doctor.

ivanhoe - I might expect such a Pope to put the intellectual programme near the top of his list; focussing on nurturing philosophical growth in the Church. I might also expect such a pope to reach out to the Churches in Asia - where St. Thomas the Apostle is the patriarchal figure.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:19
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Personally, I would love to see a Pope Thomas as well; named not just after the Apostle St. Thomas, but also St. Thomas Aquinas, the Angelic Doctor.
    Perhaps I should have said Pope Thomas Didymus, for that is what I meant.

I am surprised that there has been no Pope Thomas Aquinas, now that you
    mention it.

Hmm.

Nemesio
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:21
    If Cardinal Ratzinger had adopted the name Pope Hilarius II would you still think just as highly of him?

They have reserved that name for me, no1 .......
  14. London
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:22
    I think you'd have to pronounce it "Hi-laa-ri-oos". Sounds a little weird, but nothing hilarious. 😉
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 05:22
    Sincerity, admission of weakness, submission to the Holy Spirit, to start with.

Nemesio

I see. You better start working on it then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree