1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 21:194 edits
    Just wondered. As much as I revile Christians, they can make some good music:

Like this, a take off of an old gospel song I heard sung by Doc Watson, Down in the Valley to pray, in this case Down in the River to pray, from the movie Brother where art though but live with Allison Krauss and choir: (After the chicken commercial🙁

YouTube&NR=1

I really love Allison Krauss even if she is a christian🙂 Some of my best friends are Christian!

Here is the one I heard long ago by Doc Watson and his buddies Clint Howard and Fred Price whom he played with back when he was just getting famous in the late 50's and early 60's.

Amazing musician, guitar player, singer more amazing that he is blind.

Down in the Valley to pray:

YouTube&feature=related
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 21:26
    I'm sure they do. Just not in English.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 21:294 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm sure they do. Just not in English.
    They don't, I lived in the middle east for 3 years and all I ever heard was single singers singing out on a loudspeaker for prayer time. Never heard Muslim choir music. Doesn't mean it didn't exist of course, but I never heard it or heard of it.

Here is a Bulgarian choir singing a christmas song:

YouTube

Beautiful!

Bulgarians can really sing! Here is one about shepherds getting buried in a mountain:

YouTube&feature=related

Muslims are missing out on a whole art form. Why?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 23:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Like this, a take off of an old gospel song I heard sung by Doc Watson, Down in the Valley to pray, in this case Down in the River to pray, from the movie Brother where art though but live with Allison Krauss and choir: (After the chicken commercial🙁

http://www.youtube.com/ ...[text shortened]... .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtrIH6tvmM&feature=related
    Well, the current popularity of communal sing-song worship is completely alien to the longer Christian tradition. It was simply not common to have the congregation sing together during the liturgy, except obviously when the credo is chanted. In Catholicism, singing was generally reserved either to the choir which would be behind the altar rails, although there may be male and female choristers in the loft above. The congregation may sing hymns after the completion of the liturgy though. In Orthodox churches, in contrast it was and remains quite uncommon even to have a choir. Usually one man chants with the rest of the choir chanting only at select points. It is easy to see a lot of similarities between Orthodox and Islamic chant.

In short, the Islamic chant you hear is just something retained from early Eastern religious music, something similar to Orthodox liturgical chant.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 01:47

Listened to both, enjoyed them both too.
    Thank you very much.
    Kelly
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 01:52
    Why don't muslims sing religious songs together?
    Do you reckon your generalizing question applies to the people in the world's largest Muslim majority country?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 01:52
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Well, the current popularity of communal sing-song worship is completely alien to the longer Christian tradition. It was simply not common to have the congregation sing together during the liturgy, except obviously when the credo is chanted. In Catholicism, singing was generally reserved either to the choir which would be behind the altar rails, alth ...[text shortened]... ing retained from early Eastern religious music, something similar to Orthodox liturgical chant.
    You need to find a good Pentecostal church, the singing that goes on there will
    lift your soul. I've gone to a couple where the music incredible, both were
    Assembly of God churches. The church we go to now has a lot of talent and
    good music, but it isn't the same.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 02:071 edit

http://www.youtube.com/ .

YouTube

One of my favorites along the same style you posted.
    I like rock'en roll style typically, but when the music is good, it is good.
    Kelly
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 02:09
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You need to find a good Pentecostal church, the singing that goes on there will
    lift your soul. I've gone to a couple where the music incredible, both were
    Assembly of God churches. The church we go to now has a lot of talent and
    good music, but it isn't the same.
    Kelly
    Well, personally, I think's a bit irreligious to go to church to enjoy the music. That should hardly be an important point in deciding which church to go to. Personally though I do like Gregorian and Byzantine chants.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 02:11
    Well, personally, I think's a bit irreligious to go to church to enjoy the music. That should hardly be an important point in deciding which church to go to. Personally though I do like Gregorian and Byzantine chants.
    I don't go to just enjoy the music, if that were the case I'd still be going to
    another church. That said, the music is better is some places than it is in
    others. It helps when you have something worth singing about!
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 04:02

We will convert you with our music.

Mwhahahahah.

Edit: If you play the music backward you will hear the words, "Vote GOP, vote GOP, vote GOP".
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 05:16

Thanks. I think of "comfort" when I hear these songs.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 05:26
    Ah, then what should one be looking for when shopping for a religion? A price tag? The warranty? A warranty would be nice. Something like: "This religion is guaranteed to be the ONE TRUE RELIGION that will get you into heaven or your money back."
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 01:25
    Have you ever been in church that makes worship *singing/music* a major part of its service?
    Kelly
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 01:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Have you ever been in church that makes worship *singing/music* a major part of its service?
    Kelly
    Singing and music is a major part of almost every Christian service.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree