1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    I gave five reasons why people do hate the Bible.

What does naming names have to do with the topic avalanch?

Can you stay on topic for even just one post?
    You give reasons why people might hate the bible, but I see no reason to believe that anybody actually does hate the bible. Do you have reason to believe this? How is requesting this information not on-topic?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:161 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I detest some of the things [b]in the bible, but only because certain people in today's world
    view it as a literally true moral guide.
    I don't hate the book itself.

As a historical document I certainly don't hate it, and some of the old hand written versions
    made by the medieval monks are exquisite works of art.

Certainly none of the reaso ...[text shortened]... p look like even vaguely plausible reasons why
    I should dislike, let alone hate, the bible.[/b]
    So it doesn't bother you that the God of the Bible says you're separated from Him by your sins, and that if you die without Christ you will be separated from the life of God for all eternity?
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:18
    So it doesn't bother you that the God of the Bible says you're separated from Him by your sins, and that if you die without Christ you will be separated from the life of God for all eternity?
    Probably not - and for those of us who live in the real world, why should it bother us!?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    But avalanchethecat's post was on topic.
    So far only googlefudge has actually addressed the topic of the OP.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:23
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Probably not - and for those of us who live in the real world, why should it bother us!?
    You see? There you go. "...for those of us who live in the real world,.."

It's obvious you are disgruntled by the Bible.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:231 edit
    Not in the slightest because I, like all other atheists, don't believe in god/s.
    I don't think he/she/it/they exists.

It's like expecting me to be upset about a book that says I am separated from the queen of
    the fairies because I don't put milk and honey out every night.
    The queen of the fairies doesn't exist, so I'm really not bothered.

You have to believe that god exists and the JC was his son and that the bible is true for any
    of those 'reasons to hate it' [to] matter or apply.
    And presumably anyone who does believe all that is already a Christian and thus doesn't hate
    the bible because they think that they are close to god and in with JC and all that.

Which is why you are getting questions as to why you think 'folks' (whoever folks are) hate the
    bible for those reasons because those reasons make no sense to us?(me at least) and are
    certainly not reasons I/we have for hating the bible.
    In fact as stated I don't hate the bible.

I think that as a moral guide it's abominable, but then I don't view it as a moral guide, I view it
    as a historical source and piece of art. And as has been said... why would I hate that?
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:25
    You see? There you go. [b]"...for those of us who live in the real world,.."

It's obvious you are disgruntled by the Bible.[/b]
    It may be obvious to you, but it certainly doesn't come across that way to me. Just because somebody doesn't ascribe a divine nature to scripture doesn't mean they hate it!
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:26
    You see? There you go. [b]"...for those of us who live in the real world,.."

It's obvious you are disgruntled by the Bible.[/b]
    He's saying exactly the same thing as me, but with fewer words and more pith.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:29
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You give reasons why people might hate the bible, but I see no reason to believe that anybody actually does hate the bible. Do you have reason to believe this? How is requesting this information not on-topic?
    Try to open your mind avalanch. Hate is a strong word. The title of this thread is designed to illicit a response. ergo, hyperbole.

Obviously hating a book is meaningless. It's the contents of the book that people hate.

God says you're going to die in your sins if you reject His Christ. What is your response to that?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:322 edits
    Try to open your mind avalanch. Hate is a strong word. The title of this thread is designed to illicit a response. ergo, hyperbole.
    In your OP you offered several reasons why a person might "hate" the Bible. However you don't offer any examples of people who actually say they "hate" it. Do you know anyone who does?

God says you're going to die in your sins if you reject His Christ. What is your response to that?

Sounds like a deeply partisan religionist's assertion and a deeply partisan religionist follow up question.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:35
    He's saying exactly the same thing as me, but with fewer words and more pith.
    So pithiness is a viable weapon in you arsenal of debate tactics?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:361 edit
    And?

Why is it that you can't accept that people who don't believe in sin, or god, are [not] going to be
    bothered by what you just said?

(sin being that which displeases god, which thus becomes meaningless if god doesn't exist)

EDIT I realise my question is a bit unclear so here is a revised version...

Why is it that you can't accept, that people who don't believe in god or sin, are going to be
    utterly unbothered by being told they are going to die with sin and without god?
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:38
    So pithiness is a viable weapon in you arsenal of debate tactics?
    I was simply saying that he was saying the same things I was but with fewer words.
    I don't think this represents a tactic in any definition of the term I know of.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:40
    Not in the slightest because I, like all other atheists, don't believe in god/s.
    I don't think he/she/it/they exists.

It's like expecting me to be upset about a book that says I am separated from the queen of
    the fairies because I don't put milk and honey out every night.
    The queen of the fairies doesn't exist, so I'm really not bothered.

You h ...[text shortened]... historical source and piece of art. And as has been said... why would I hate that?
    "Not in the slightest because I, like all other atheists, don't believe in god/s.
    I don't think he/she/it/they exists."

Then the whole point of the OP is moot with you. Nice talking to you. See you around. Adios.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 15:42

Obviously hating a book is meaningless. It's the contents of the book that people hate.

When you say 'God says...' what I read is 'according to my faith which I am able to bolster by my interpretation of biblical scripture God says...'.

I don't view the bible as divinely inspired scripture however. Personally I see no reason to treat it any differently than any other primary historical source material. Consequently I am entirely unconcerned regarding any threats you feel it might contain. This in no way means I 'hate' the bible, 'god', 'Jesus' or any of those people who hold it and them in high regard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree