Why Folks Hate the Bible

Why Folks Hate the Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
08 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
You see? There you go. [b]"...for those of us who live in the real world,.."

It's obvious you are disgruntled by the Bible.[/b]
You can't actually (validly) conclude that from what I posted. Indeed all you can infer is that

1) I hold all your beliefs about Bible "God" and associated concepts are just complete nonsense.
2) Any questions as to what some fictional character should think of me for committing human invented wrong-doings defined in terms of said fictional character raise no concern on my part.

Moves
08 Jan 12

[b]"Not in the slightest because I, like all other atheists, don't believe in god/s.
I don't think he/she/it/they exists."

Then the whole point of the OP is moot with you. Nice talking to you. See you around. Adios.[/b]
Well this brings us back to the question of who the 'folks' are that you think hate the bible?

The only people who take the bible literally and thus might be bothered by what it says are Christians.

As has been said the only person here who has expressed opinions that might be construed as
hate towards the bible is dasa.

And if that's your total pool of 'folks who hate the bible' then you are really making a mountain out
of a molehill.

If the point of the op is mute with everyone who doesn't believe in the god of the bible then either
nobody (excepting the odd crazy person) hates the bible or you are claiming that Christians hate the bible.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
And?

Why is it that you can't accept that people who don't believe in sin, or god, are [not] going to be
bothered by what you just said?

(sin being that which displeases god, which thus becomes meaningless if god doesn't exist)

EDIT I realise my question is a bit unclear so here is a revised version...

Why is it that you can't accept, tha ...[text shortened]... ng to be
utterly unbothered by being told they are going to die with sin and without god?
"Why is it that you can't accept, that people who don't believe in god or sin, are going to be
utterly unbothered by being told they are going to die with sin and without god?"

What makes you think I don't accept it that people don't believe in God?

But that's not the topic of this thread. The title clearly defined the format, and the body of the post answered.

F

Moves
08 Jan 12

But that's not the topic of this thread. The title clearly defined the format, and the body of the post answered.
Can you think of anybody on this forum who "hates" the bible for the alleged reasons you laid out in the OP?

Moves
08 Jan 12

What makes you think I don't accept it that people don't believe in God?
Because all your 'reasons' for hating the bible, rely on actually believing what it says.

It makes no sense at all that people who don't believe what it says would care what it says.
And those that do believe what it says should be in agreement with it and thus don't hate it
either.

As a follow-up your questions seem to imply also that you are struggling to understand that
people who don't believe in your religion are not going to be bothered by claims it makes
about dying in sin or without god.

You seem to be acting like everyone should be worried by what it says in the bible (because
you believe that it's true) and don't seem to get that nobody outside the Christian faith
does think it's true, and thus isn't going to be worried about it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 12

Try to open your mind avalanch. Hate is a strong word. The title of this thread is designed to illicit a response. ergo, hyperbole.

Obviously hating a book is meaningless. It's the contents of the book that people hate.

God says you're going to die in your sins if you reject His Christ. What is your response to that?
I do not think it's the Bible these people hate so much as God himself.

To them, the Bible is just another book, so I'm sure they don't see the point in hating a book. Now God, on the other hand, they see as the cause of most of man's woes. Seeing through their own baloney to realize that man's woes are man's own fault is quite beyond them.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by Suzianne

To them, the Bible is just another book, so I'm sure they don't see the point in hating a book. Now God, on the other hand, they see as the cause of most of man's woes. Seeing through their own baloney to realize that man's woes are man's own fault is quite beyond them.
Well I suppose I can only really speak for myself, but honestly Suzianne, I'm pretty sure that atheists in general don't blame god for man's woes.

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Well I suppose I can only really speak for myself, but honestly Suzianne, I'm pretty sure that atheists in general don't blame god for man's woes.
Seconding this.

Blaming something you don't believe exists for anything bad is just as dim as praising that imaginary something for something good.

I often say that the god of the bible as described would be an abomination IF it existed.

But it doesn't, so there is no point at all wasting time and energy hating god.

Actually I probably feel stronger emotion towards Dolores Umbridge than towards god.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Jan 12

this reminded me of a scene in pitch black.

but really, saying that atheists hate god is like saying atheists hate darth vader.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
Seconding this.

Blaming something you don't believe exists for anything bad is just as dim as praising that imaginary something for something good.

I often say that the god of the bible as described would be an abomination IF it existed.

But it doesn't, so there is no point at all wasting time and energy hating god.

Actually I probably feel stronger emotion towards Dolores Umbridge than towards god.
ok, maybe I should have said they hate the IDEA of God.

There seem to be a few atheists who do not post often in this forum who still manage to poke their heads in here long enough to post some diatribe about God or Christianity. These posts are often filled with hate. I'm not sure what drives them to do this either.

(Ok, wow, I had to google Dolores Umbridge. Very funny.)

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
this reminded me of a scene in pitch black.

but really, saying that atheists hate god is like saying atheists hate darth vader.
Have you seen the new "Dark Vador" burger some fast-food chain in France is selling now?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Jan 12

ok, maybe I should have said they hate the IDEA of God.

There seem to be a few atheists who do not post often in this forum who still manage to poke their heads in here long enough to post some diatribe about God or Christianity. These posts are often filled with hate. I'm not sure what drives them to do this either.

(Ok, wow, I had to google Dolores Umbridge. Very funny.)
Ah now we're getting somewhere. I certainly feel some negativity towards organised religion in whatever colours it manifests. It appears to me to be divisive and counter-productive to humanity as a whole, and while followers may gain comfort and a sense of belonging, I think it may actually often be deleterious to their spiritual development. I certainly wouldn't say that 'hate' enters into the equation though.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
.. spiritual development..
What is this ?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Jan 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
What is this ?
I could glibly respond "the development of one's spirituality", but I realise that this is not what you're after. Spirituality is a hard quality to pin down I find, but I don't feel it is related to any particular religion. I do feel it is a positive human quality however, and I think it is something that benefits not only the spiritually developed being themselves but also those with whom he or she interacts.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Jan 12

Have you seen the new "Dark Vador" burger some fast-food chain in France is selling now?
i had to search that. simply stunning.
almost as funny as the church of jedi.

http://www.jedichurch.org/