1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 20:41
    This is posted in science also if you prefer post there in a non-religious theme.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 20:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This is posted in science also if you prefer post there in a non-religious theme.

Thoughts?
    Can you tell us what its about?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 21:58
    Ok I thought the title was self explanatory, sorry.

Bee's have barbed stings so when they sting you they can't retract it. When they try to fly off the sting is pulled out along with most of the bee's gut. It dies.

How has this defensive weapon been evolved by this creature as a competitve advantage when it dies if it uses it?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 23:40

Bee's have barbed stings so when they sting you they can't retract it. When they try to fly off the sting is pulled out along with most of the bee's gut. It dies.

How has this defensive weapon been evolved by this creature as a competitve advantage when it dies if it uses it?
    Doesn't seem like evolution thought this one out very good...
    Maybe in a gazillion years it will evolve back into a fish and then a lizard and then a monkey and then back into a bee and get that dang stinger right this time...
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 00:11

Right. It was self expanatory.

Could it be that its the bee's karma to be born a bee. Maybe there is some 'genetic learning' going on through the generations of bees . Living and dying of losing their stingers as the species learns and evolves?

Good question. I'm sure its not the only evolutionary anomolie like that which takes a bit of thought to work out. (assuming it can be worked out)

I got the Bee movie of DVD, (with Jerry Seinfeld), and there is a whole big thing about them hardly ever using their stingers and how they nearly die. I know its just a movie, but in the extras their are quite a few interesting facts about bees .

Maybe they evolved liked that because thats the only way their species could evolve beyond a certain point.
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 01:24

Thoughts?
    Worker bees - which have the barbed stingers - are sterile: that is, they don't pass on their genes to future bee generations. When one stings a mammal or bird (the barb only sticks into mammals and birds) the stinger sticks and pulls out, killing the worker bee. As it dies it releases a chemical into the air which alerts other bees to the danger in the area.
    It kills one bee, but saves many through the alert system.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 05:13

This is the spiritual Forum, therefore I answer the question as there was a intelligent designer behind, like god.

This intelligent designer is rather stupid. This must be one of his worst achivements. Like it is the first thing he did in the designer school, and failed.

If the intelligent designer really was intelligent, he would do it right in the first place. But perhaps he is not a real designer.

If you designed a car as badly as this, then we wouldn't have any car production at all, there would simply be no cars if the driver dies whenever he uses some of the gadgets. Who would by it?

If I was this intelligent designer I would do it correctly right away. Why build in flaws in the design?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 15:20
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This is the spiritual Forum, therefore I answer the question as there was a intelligent designer behind, like god.

This intelligent designer is rather stupid. This must be one of his worst achivements. Like it is the first thing he did in the designer school, and failed.

If the intelligent designer really was intelligent, he would do it right in th ...[text shortened]... this intelligent designer I would do it correctly right away. Why build in flaws in the design?
    Who are you to judge and say it's a flaw?
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 15:39
    bee's are rarely aggresive (except the Africanized honey bee). they do not sting unless they have to, then releasing the hormone that alerts other bees. seems like a pretty good system, the bee dies when absolutely necessary and for the good of the hive.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 15:40
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Actually you seem to have judged it a flaw based on your earlier comment:
    "Doesn't seem like evolution thought this one out very good..."
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 18:01
    As a design it's bad, as evolution it's as it should.
    My name is Fabian, what's yours?
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 15:26
    Doesn't seem like evolution thought this one out very good...
    Maybe in a gazillion years it will evolve back into a fish and then a lizard and then a monkey and then back into a bee and get that dang stinger right this time...
    Evolution doesn't exist God does.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 21:18
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Evolution doesn't exist God does.
    And your evidence for this?
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 22:32
    Originally posted by amannion
    And your evidence for this?
    The Bible.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 23:53
    Originally posted by daniel58
    The Bible.
    Ah yes of course.
    The old circular argument ... the bible is the evidence for god ... why is this? ... well god tells us this ... how does god tell you this? ... it's in the bible ...
    Yeah, that's completely convincing. I'm sold ...

... not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree