1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 08:32
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I knew you'd eventually waddle on over here...Lol

What would it take to prove to you that someone could have lived for "900+" years? What kind of evidence would you need to see?
    [/b]
    the scientifical kind. the one you don't get from a book that in an early chapter had the whole universe created in 6 days. with plants being created before there was a sun to feed help them survive. of course, god could have thought "i don't wanna create the sun today, i am in the mood for something green, meh fuk it i will make the sun tomorrow, these shrubberies could survive a day in darkness"
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 08:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Some scholars of scripture believe the 120 years refers to how long God is allowing mankind to continue to live until the worldwide flood and not how old each individual man will live after the flood. However, the 70 to 80 years is the normal life expectancy at the time of Jesus. Jesus was cutoff when He was 35 years of age which is in the middle of the expected life of 70 years of a man at that time.
    Jesus was cutoff when He was 35 years of age which is in the middle of the expected life of 70 years of a man at that time

average age of 70?!?! where did you pull that number from and how are you or your source calculating the average?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 08:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [b]Jesus was cutoff when He was 35 years of age which is in the middle of the expected life of 70 years of a man at that time

average age of 70?!?! where did you pull that number from and how are you or your source calculating the average?[/b]
    supposedly, the average age is very low because lots of infants die.
    apparently, even in that time, if a dude made it to 20ish, he was espected to last until his 60s. provide no wars happened to him, of course.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 08:36
    errr, back to the topic at hand, anyone else has some input on why the gays might want to get married? other than love and what has been already said?

or do we pronounce the time of death.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    apparently, even in that time, if a dude made it to 20ish, he was espected to last until his 60s. provide no wars happened to him, of course.
    I took a look and found one source that said that, in Roman Times, one could expect to live until about 50 if you made it to 15, that is to say, Roman citizens presumably.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 09:09
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    rj claims 70-80 it was more like 50-60 (if you exclude child deaths). but when calculating the average age of death its important to count everybody .

back on topic -

why do homosexuals want to get married? for the same myriad of reasons heterosexuals get married. i got married because it was important to my partner and despite trying to be a modern forward thinking, non-sexist guy....i wanted our future kids to have my surname.......stupid, i know.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 11:04
    [b]Jesus was cutoff when He was 35 years of age which is in the middle of the expected life of 70 years of a man at that time

average age of 70?!?! where did you pull that number from and how are you or your source calculating the average?[/b]
    I am doing no calculating, I am taking the word of the Psalmist.

[b]The days of our lives are seventy years;
    And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
    Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
    For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
    Who knows the power of Your anger?
    For as the fear of You, so is Your wrath.
    So teach us to number our days,
    That we may gain a heart of wisdom.[b]

(Psalm 90:10 NKJV)
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 11:151 edit

The days of our lives are seventy years;
    That we may gain a heart of wisdom.

you wrote '70-80 is the normal life expectancy of man'

the passage you posted says - if you dont die early for a multitude of reasons then you can live to 70-80. suggesting that 70-80 is the maximum a man could live to. this is very different to 'normal life expectancy' which was around 50-60 (excluding children) and around 35 (including children).
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 11:29

[b]The days of our lives are seventy years;
    That we may gain a heart of wisdom.[b]

yeh, why would we take the words of historians, or scientists. let's just all look in the bible for everything from history to quantum physics.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 13:04
    you wrote '70-80 is the normal life expectancy of man'

the passage you posted says - if you dont die early for a multitude of reasons then you can live to 70-80. suggesting that 70-80 is the maximum a man could live to. this is very different to 'normal life expectancy' which was around 50-60 (excluding children) and around 35 (including children).
    It suggests that man's days are numbered and you can expect to live to 70, but even that is not sure, so one should use his time to gain wisdom in order to make oneself approved of God. There is no minimum or maximum age set as for as I can tell.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 13:43
    It suggests that man's days are numbered and you can expect to live to 70, but even that is not sure, so one should use his time to gain wisdom in order to make oneself approved of God. There is no minimum or maximum age set as for as I can tell.
    Will it be going against your god's will if scientists and evolutionary workers come up with a cure for aging so that in 50 years we might still be alive and such, with new borns living to 200 or 400 years?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 14:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Will it be going against your god's will if scientists and evolutionary workers come up with a cure for aging so that in 50 years we might still be alive and such, with new borns living to 200 or 400 years?
    God has already planned for man to live longer regardless of what scientist and evolutionary workers do.

[b]No more will there be in it a child who lives only a few days, or an old man who does not live many years. For the child will live to be a hundred years old. And the one who does not live a hundred years will be thought to be cursed. [b]

(Isaiah 65:20 NLT)
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 17:47
    if the average age of death is around 35, why would you expect to live to 70?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 18:31
    35 is just the center of the bell curve. You could die at 2 days or 120 years even if the average is 35 or 40.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 18:57
    I am not saying that the average age of death is around 35. I was saying that Christ died on the cross at the age of 35 years, which is in the middle of the expected lifespan of 70 announced in the Holy Bible by the Psalmist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree