1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 05:58
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    That mentor relationship is one of life's profound pleasures, for sure.
    The imparting of knowledge, of spark, is transcendental.

That's why we study it, to understand who we are.
    My disagreement is not about the drive of science, as much as it is that drive by some people, when it has little or no bearing on the present. Were evolution true, even the best guesstimate at closest relations is millions of years removed. Bearing now? None. Something else, then, drives that drive to know origins.
    If evolution were true, it wouldn't be significant, as all is matter, and matter is all. Eat, drink and be merry.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 06:50
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That mentor relationship is one of life's profound pleasures, for sure.
    The imparting of knowledge, of spark, is transcendental.

[b] That's why we study it, to understand who we are.

My disagreement is not about the drive of science, as much as it is that drive by some people, when it has little or no bearing on the present. Were evolution true ...[text shortened]... rue, it wouldn't be significant, as all is matter, and matter is all. Eat, drink and be merry.[/b]
    Evolutionary biology has huge implications for the present. It is the underpinning of all modern biology. It allows us understanding of the reasons that microbes will always beat us when it comes to antibiotics, and the reasons why we shouldn't use quite so many of those antibiotics. It gives us a handle on genetic diseases, and here's one lesson Hitler should have learned (although we hadn;t worked it out by then) why eugenics doesn't work! Evolution and genetic theory are absolutely necessary!

Likewise, I hope you enjoy the remainder of your Xmas, it's already boxing day here!
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 02:431 edit
    Edit: Also -- with such a huge reproduction rate, has E Coli produced anything but itself?

This statement shows an ignorance of evolutionary theory. No organism has ever "produced anything but itself".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree