1. Donationbvb
    Callisto Fan
    Iowa
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:15
    I was reading about a fellow named Apollonius of Tyana whose life had many similarities to the life of Jesus. He lived at about the same time as Jesus, he performed miracles, preached a philosophy of love, gathered disciples, got punished by Roman authorities and ascended into heaven. So why did Jesus come to be viewed as the savior and not Apollonius. I suspect it has to do with emperor Constantine's conversion. Does anybody know anything else about this?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 04:52
    Originally posted by bvb
    I was reading about a fellow named Apollonius of Tyana whose life had many similarities to the life of Jesus. He lived at about the same time as Jesus, he performed miracles, preached a philosophy of love, gathered disciples, got punished by Roman authorities and ascended into heaven. So why did Jesus come to be viewed as the savior and not Apollonius. I suspect ...[text shortened]... it has to do with emperor Constantine's conversion. Does anybody know anything else about this?
    no do you have a source?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 04:58
    There's a wikipedia article on him: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Tyana - 28k

I'm guessing his name was harder to remember.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 05:52
    Originally posted by bvb
    I was reading about a fellow named Apollonius of Tyana whose life had many similarities to the life of Jesus. He lived at about the same time as Jesus, he performed miracles, preached a philosophy of love, gathered disciples, got punished by Roman authorities and ascended into heaven. So why did Jesus come to be viewed as the savior and not Apollonius. I suspect ...[text shortened]... it has to do with emperor Constantine's conversion. Does anybody know anything else about this?
    The story of Mithras is similar also.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 06:18
    Originally posted by bvb
    Why Jesus? Why not any other fellow who claimed to be the Messiah? Also, what of the Greek gods? What of the Roman gods? What of the Canaanite gods? It gets one to think, no?
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 08:56
    Originally posted by bvb
    Does anybody know anything else about this?
    I don't know. Philostratus only published his Life of Appolonius in 220 AD, well after the Christian church was established and it is a very unreliable source. Appolonius was also apparently working from within a neo-Pythagorian tradition so he didn't offer the sort of dramatic break from tradition that Christ did. The Emperor Septimius Severus was however said to have worshipped him. In my opinion Appolonius was just a bit too high-brow for the masses. Read more here: http://www.livius.org/ap-ark/apollonius/apollonius01.html
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 11:02
    Originally posted by bvb
    So why did Jesus come to be viewed as the savior and not Apollonius.
    Actually a large proportion of people prefer Mohammed to Jesus. There are also quite a number of other "prophets" with large followings.
    There are many reasons why people follow a cirtain person or message or faith.
  8. Standard memberKurtHoegh
    Critical Failure
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 08:34
    Originally posted by bvb
    So why did Jesus come to be viewed as the savior and not Apollonius.
    Of course the real reason was the American government. In the year 2170, when they were done sending elite soldiers back in time to wipe out the dinosaurs, the operation had some leftover fundings. So they decided to spend it by going back in time once more. This time they only went back to 1 B.C., where they saw to it that their man got all the right breaks. This is the reason why Apollonius was shamelessly robbed of his well earned place in history.
  9. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 10:06
    Originally posted by KurtHoegh
    Of course the real reason was the American government. In the year 2170, when they were done sending elite soldiers back in time to wipe out the dinosaurs, the operation had some leftover fundings. So they decided to spend it by going back in time once more. This time they only went back to 1 B.C., where they saw to it that their man got all the right brea ...[text shortened]... s. This is the reason why Apollonius was shamelessly robbed of his well earned place in history.
    It probably would have helped a bit more if they went back to the time when Jesus was actually doing a spot of preaching. Surely that's more effective than trying to set up a 3-year-old for the next 30 years of his life. Half the people you bribe will be dead before they can be any use.
  10. Standard memberKurtHoegh
    Critical Failure
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 10:51
    Originally posted by orfeo
    It probably would have helped a bit more if they went back to the time when Jesus was actually doing a spot of preaching. Surely that's more effective than trying to set up a 3-year-old for the next 30 years of his life. Half the people you bribe will be dead before they can be any use.
    Not at all. They had him pre-programmed from the start. All they had to do was a quick in-and-out job to replace the real Jesus with their android. Of course there were some follow-up operations going on behind the scenes, to make sure that things went along smoothly.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 10:53
    Originally posted by KurtHoegh
    All they had to do was a quick in-and-out job to replace the real Jesus with their android.
    That's the sci-fi Muslim version I guess!
  12. Naestved
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 10:04
    This thread is pretty cool. Nice cross between Terminator and Monty Python's quest for the holy grail...

Nice plot!

Even better if it turns out Virgin Mary gives birth to our little friend from E.T. :-)
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 11:35
    Originally posted by Flixotide
    Even better if it turns out Virgin Mary gives birth to our little friend from E.T. :-)
    Yes, of course. Anything that points to the fictionalization of "Jesus" is to be met with derision and cries of "fake moon landing nuts!". The fact remains that Apollonius of Tyana could very well be the historical figure on which the myth of Jesus was created.

http://www.geocities.com/nephilimnot/apollonius_of_tyanna.html#Comparisons_to_Jesus_Christ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree