1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:19
    Originally posted by chappy1
    I would guess that is because the Bible indicates that in this life one must suffer (ie: Jesus suffered therefore what makes you think you're so special as to not suffer?)
    …what makes you think you're so special as to not suffer?
    ..…

You mean she thought I have to be special to have the ‘right’ not to suffer? That really sucks.
    I suppose I better flagellate myself as nobody else is currently giving me grief and I currently have no hideous illnesses (actually I don’t think there is such thing as ‘rights’ so I would be persuaded by this line of reasoning anyway).
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:50
    Originally posted by chappy1
    I would guess that is because the Bible indicates that in this life one must suffer (ie: Jesus suffered therefore what makes you think you're so special as to not suffer?)
    Jesus already died for our sins, why do we have to be crucified as well?

one man (the son of God! for Christ's sake!) being tortured is not enough?, do we all have to have miserable lives as well?
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '09 16:321 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Jesus already died for our sins, why do we have to be crucified as well?

one man (the son of God! for Christ's sake!) being tortured is not enough?, do we all have to have miserable lives as well?
    The Christians did to apply the Holy Spirit to "put to death the practices of the body" as Paul wrote.

This is putting to death habits of the fallen old man based on the fact that Christ's death on His cross is available to us to apply in our lives.

Many things cannot be healed. They must be terminated. They cannot be reformed. They can only be put to death and replaced with the new nature.

To bear the cross in the Christian life is not to suffer. It means to put to death the old habits by applying the Spirit of Jesus to our life.

You may think of it this way - as a drink of rich orange juice contains many nutrients and vitamins for our health, so also the Holy Spirit.

The ingredients of the Holy Spirit consist also of the death of Christ. When we take into us the Holy Spirit and apply Him to various areas of our life, His death on the cross "kills off" many nagative things within us.

In the growth of bones there is anabalism and catabalism. Catabalism breaks down. Anabalism replaces and builds up. The Christian life is a process of the death of Jesus putting to death various bad characteristics of the sinful life. And it is the Holy Spirit recreating and building up the new nature of rughteousness.

There is the constant process of inward death and resurrection. So on the death side, the Christian believers is taught to apply the cross of Jesus to the old nature. This is a matter of faith.

This is a matter of having faith that we have been crucified with Christ. We apply the cross which is in the Holy Spirit because we see the vision that we, like Paul, have also been crucified with Christ.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    31 May '09 17:052 edits
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The Christians did to apply the Holy Spirit to [b]"put to death the practices of the body" as Paul wrote.

This is putting to death habits of the fallen old man based on the fact that Christ's death on His cross is available to us to apply in our lives.

Many things cannot be healed. They must be terminated. They cannot be reformed. They can only b Spirit because we see the vision that we, like Paul, have also been crucified with Christ.[/b]
    …To bear the cross in the Christian life is not to suffer. It means to put to death the OLD habits by applying the Spirit of Jesus to our life.
    (my emphasis)

What “Old habits”?
    Can you give me a specific example of one of these “Old habits” that non-Christians (whether theist or atheist) like myself have?

…The Christian life is a process of the death of Jesus putting to death various bad characteristics of the SINFUL life.
    ..…
    (my emphasis)

I am curious; do you think that a non-Christian life is “SINFUL”?
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    31 May '09 17:08
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The Christians did to apply the Holy Spirit to [b]"put to death the practices of the body" as Paul wrote.

Many things cannot be healed. They must be terminated. They cannot be reformed. They can only b ...[text shortened]... Spirit because we see the vision that we, like Paul, have also been crucified with Christ.[/b]
    what old habits are you referring to?

are you saying that we should give up our sexual pleasure? If God didn't want us to have sex then why did he give us genitals?

Does he like teasing people?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 May '09 17:08
    Did Jesus have sex ever?
    If yes, with whom?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    31 May '09 17:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Did Jesus have sex ever?
    If yes, with whom?
    No, I don't think he did (there is no evidence that suggests that anyway).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree