1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 13:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Not why would [b]a scientist lie.
    But why would the whole scientific community lie?

Of course I'm talking about evolution. Why would scientists in
    their pursuit of knowledge lie? What possible motivation is there?[/b]
    If you are going to ask a question like that in a spirituality forum, and addressing Christians I presume, why not just ask "Why is there evil in this world?"
    1 John 5:19
    19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
    NIV
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 13:463 edits

There are scientists who are honest. But I would not say just because one is a scientist he or she is immune to the need for prestige, winning in competition for honors, envy to be credited, and any other failing of frail mortal humans.

Are there things some scientists would WANT to believe because of metaphysical reasons of their own ? Yes. And some can overcome those preferences and some do not.

Another significant problem is charlatans taking advantage of eager scientists.

I saw a program about a man in South America who constantly fabricates ancient coins and artifacts to sell them to ancient relic hunters. You know he can do so without actually coming out and admitting that what they are buying is a forgery. He is very sneaky and covers his tracks. It is really a "Buyer Beware" situation.

But he has sold considerable amounts of fake artifacts which unwary buyers are deceived into thinking that they are obtaining ancient items from Meso American cultures when they are not.

There are people who realize how eagerly people are searching for proofs of various beliefs and theories - secular and religious. And they have no scruples against fabricating items to sell to the over eager and gullible.

It goes around the whole spectrum of beliefs. Someone will sell you a fake thing knowing that you are eager to find something verifying what you want to believe.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 14:042 edits
    Why I Am Not An Atheist - J.P. Moreland Phd. debunks the view that the more scientific you are the more likely you are to be an Atheist.

Myth - " If common people just KNEW what the learned people know they would all have to drop their belief in God, because it is a matter of faith and not reason."

YouTube
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 16:29
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Please, this is a sensible debate...
    Well the scientist lying about global warming! To get money and funding.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 16:43
    Originally posted by sonship
    Why I Am Not An Atheist - J.P. Moreland Phd. debunks the view that the more scientific you are the more likely you are to be an Atheist.
    Give us a summary. How does he debunk it? Does he show that the statistics are forged?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 19:05
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    To get money and funding.
    Tell me more about how that works.
    What is your experience of obtaining funds for research?

Do you think lying gives a scientist an advantage?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 01:541 edit
    25 Hoaxes that Had [People] [edited] Fooled

YouTube
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 02:00

In the case of evolution it is a scapegoat for those who do not want to believe in a God or answer to him. But yet most want to believe in something especially when it comes to our past, so thanks to MR Darwin, there is an answer..
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 02:26

I don't think a true scientist would deliberately lie about his or her research. Politics, egos and money make the scientific community lie. Some of the misinformation is just plain regurgitating what their mentors have spewn. There is big fascist money to be made with the carbon taxing and that is why there is lying.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 02:47
    I am sure there are atheists who do not believe in evoluition.
    I know there are theists who do.
    Theism and Evolution are not mutually exclusive.

What I am trying to debate is why scientists (plural!!!) want to lie about evolution when science is about truth. Forget about the individual hoaxers
    I am talking about a whole community!!

WHY?
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 03:05
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I don't think a true scientist would deliberately lie about his or her research. Politics, egos and money make the scientific community lie. Some of the misinformation is just plain regurgitating what their mentors have spewn. There is big fascist money to be made with the carbon taxing and that is why there is lying.
    Money, to fit in with their controlled colleagues,towing the peer line, and control of the whole community by the elite. Simple as that.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 03:12
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    And yet there are plenty of scientific theories that have replaced previous scientific beliefs which have been shown to be incorrect.

So the idea that the scientific community is wedded to preconceptions that prevent them accepting a different explanation is just another patent lie.
    It isn't a lie, it is a human trait and it isn't limited to scientist on any theory.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 03:522 edits
    I just got done reading an interesting article about scientists at the turn of the 20th century.

http://hnn.us/article/1796

Their preoccupation with eugenics in the US at the turn of the 20th century helped fuel the flames of the Holocaust.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 05:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    I just got done reading an interesting article about scientists at the turn of the 20th century.
    The article is about American Eugenicists.
    Don't make it sound like a world-wide allegiance of scientists!!
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 11:07
    Originally posted by galveston75
    In the case of evolution it is a scapegoat for those who do not want to believe in a God or answer to him. But yet most want to believe in something especially when it comes to our past, so thanks to MR Darwin, there is an answer..
    Countless Christians accept evolution, so do a whole host of other religions making your point ridiculous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree