1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 00:28
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    that WAS alive and passed on...

And didn't Mohammed live at one point as well? Moving mountains and all that business?
    Mohammed's miracles were attributed to him centuries after his death. He makes no claims of miracles in the Koran.

That Jesus died and rose from the dead was a creed of the early church two years after His resurrection.
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 00:44
    There's so many misstatements in this post, I don't know where to start.

Haha. You looked prepared to me.

James was killed 50 years before Josephus' writings and is not mentioned at all in Josephus.

Note: I said 'they had access to royal records. Josephus looked it up and found that Herod had summoned 'James, the brother of Jesus'. Look for it, you'll find the reference. I believe it's in Antiquities.

There is no historical record of Nero blaming the Christians for a great fire in Rome; this is pure myth. Tacitus called the story of the resurrection a "pernicious superstition"; hardly a ringing endorsement of your "self-evident" truth.

Already shown to be wrong. By yourself. Thanks for being honest.

George Washington chopping down the cherry tree was in an early biography of his. I think George had something to do with a significant political movement; maybe you could tell me what it was.

His chopping down the cherry tree sparked a political movement??

I'm tired of your absurd tomb argument; even according to your Bible, Pilate considered Jesus unimportant - why would he bother to guard his tomb?

The Jews who rejected Jesus were the driving force. I'm glad you mentioned the Bible. Pilate didn't want to kill Jesus. The Jews demanded it. His job was to keep the peace, and they would have rebelled if he didn't order Jesus' death. And the Jews demanded a Roman guard for His tomb as well. And they likely sent some of their own.

Pilate didn't even know who Jesus was!! How many tombs of executed prisoners were guarded by Roman soldiers, Darfius?

The Jews wanted Jesus put to death because He claimed to be the King of the Jews. Pilate knew this. But this is irrelevant, as Pilate wasn't the one worried about guarding the tomb. The Jews were.

I not consider the Bible "proof" of what it asserts, as I do not consider any ancient history as proof in and of itself. In the Illiad, Achilles can only be killed by shooting an arrow into his heel; do you believe that to be a historical fact because the book has places in it that we know existed? Of course not. Claims which are extraordinary require solid evidence; the actual evidence for the Resurrection is near zero. Believe in it if you choose, but stop pretending there is any independent proof of it besides some of Jesus' discuiples claiming it happened.

Achilles didn't spark a movement. There's no acrheological evidence at all proving he's real. No historians mentioned him. The Bible has always been right. I choose not to disregard it because of a bias against it. By the way, what is extraordinary about Jesus rising from the dead due to God's influence? If God created the universe, it would be a simple matter for Him to raise His son to validate His claims.

The independant proof is the early church surviving despite persecution. Paul. The apostles. The Jews leaving Judaism. No body. Millions today claiming to feel the Holy Spirit. Jesus' miracles. No contemporary writings disclaiming the claims of the very vocal apostles.

Take a leap of faith and admit His resurrection is the best excuse we have for the evidence, ask Jesus into your life and you'll feel the results from God Himself. What is difficult about that? It will provide all the proof you need.
  3. Graceland.
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 01:461 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Bite me, Pcaspian.

Christus, the founder of that name, was put to death as a criminal by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea, in the reign of Tiberius, but the pernicious superstition - repressed for a time, broke out yet again, not only through Judea, - where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also, whither all things horrible and disgraceful flow from all quarters, as to a common receptacle, and where they are encouraged. Accordingly first those were arrested who confessed they were Christians; next on their information, a vast multitude were convicted, not so much on the charge of burning the city, as of "hating the human race.

When I'm wrong I'm wrong, but the passage hardly shows that this author put very much stock in Christianity.

no1, as much as I love your new found zest for the scriptures, you remind me of my first year psychology roomate. Gotta walk before you can dance...

Had I the energy to debate I would, but its holiday time.
    Some advice :
    -----------------
    1. Read the entire Bible atleast once.

If you claim you've done this already, I call you a liar. Only a true Christian could read through the entire Numbers without skipping most of those chapters 😉

2. Stop tying to find answers or references to support your view of the scriptures, but rather try to find the unbiassed view. If you want God to eb a bad guy, you can find verses to support that view, if you want god to be a mellow dude, again you can find verses to support that view. If however you want to find out who God is, searching for verses to support your view is the wrong way to go about finding out the truth.

3. Don't cheat at chess. Cheating is for losers.

pc

4. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 02:55
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Why you should only pray to Jesus.
    I sometimes hear televangelists include this in their prayers: "Devil, we bind you." It seems to me that they are praying directly to Satan when they do that. Is that forbidden?

Also, what is the statute of limitations on devil-binding? The same evangelists can be heard repeating the binding weeks later. Why can't binding last for eternity instead of for hours or days?
  5. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 03:06
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I truly hope you're just trying to help. If you are, please forgive me for what I'm about to say.

Having poor grammar at times does not make RB less correct than you. Neither does excellent grammar make anyone any more correct than anyone else.

Quite true - it just makes him bloody hard to understand. He could try using his computer dictionary...or he could ask the good LORD to divinely inspire his writing so he made sense.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 03:48
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    Jesus was born of woman, that makes him human, humans can't live 2000 years, therefore jesus is dead, end of story.
    Ah, if you read your Bible it says he is alive.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 03:50
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    I sometimes hear televangelists include this in their prayers: "Devil, we bind you." It seems to me that they are praying directly to Satan when they do that. Is that forbidden?

Also, what is the statute of limitations on devil-binding? The same evangelists can be heard repeating the binding weeks later. Why can't binding last for eternity instead of for hours or days?
    They don't pray to satan, and at the end of the Pray they say in Jesus name, so that means they were praying to Jesus.
  8. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 03:551 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    They don't pray to satan, and at the end of the Pray they say in Jesus name, so that means they were praying to Jesus.
    Well, technically they shouldn't use "you" to refer to Satan in a prayer that they are addressing to Jesus.

If a Christian somewhere in the world every minute of the day prayed that Satan be bound, would Satan still find a way to loose himself?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 04:111 edit
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    [b/] Bite me, Pcaspian.

Christus, the founder of that name, was put to death as a criminal by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea, in the reign of Tiberius, but the pernicious super ...[text shortened]... .

3. Don't cheat at chess. Cheating is for losers.

pc

Are you accusing me of cheating in the forums?
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 05:28
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Last month you've never even heard of James's ossuary, yet now you're some expert.
    I was disappointed to discover that the 'brother of Jesus' part was discovered to be
    a forgery. The 'James bar Josef' part, however, seems authentic.

I'm not criticizing, just observing.

Nemesio
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 06:01
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I was disappointed to discover that the 'brother of Jesus' part was discovered to be
    a forgery. The 'James bar Josef' part, however, seems authentic.

I'm not criticizing, just observing.

Nemesio
    Of course neither were in his earlier book. and the 2nd book did cover the same topics. as was as it's also likely tha James was the brother of the High Priest Jesus
  12. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 10:26
    RBHill wrote...

Praying to Mary or Buddha or to a muslim god or anyone else these people are all dead.

This is an inadequate understanding of Buddha.

When the Buddha reached his full enlightenment under the Banyan tree he "died" to his former nature and was awakened to his deathless and immortal consciousness. This consciousness had nothing to do with the body. Resurrection of his fleshly form was unnecessary because he had transcended all conditional association with phenomena of any sort, including his own body.

To become a Buddhist, one "takes refuge" in the Dharma (the teachings), the Sangha (the community of practitioners) and the Buddha. To "take refuge" in the Buddha means to set one's intention firmly and with resolve to realize what the Buddha realized, and in so doing to attain to one's own deathless and timeless consciousness. This is the Buddhist version of "redemption" and "rebirth" that the Christian undergoes in Christ. Now you may not agree with this, but you must understand that this is what a Buddhist believes, and so is valid within the subjective framework of his faith.

When the Buddha's body died, he underwent a process called "Mahaparinirvana" -- translated from Sanskrit, means, roughly, the "great release into Nirvana". That is, he entered into the Absolute realm of pure freedom and immortality.

The reason a Buddhist can "take refuge" in the Buddha, even 2,500 years after his Mahaparinirvana, is because the Buddha-mind is omnipresent and locatable within all of us via the correct application of the Buddhist Eigthfold Path. According to Buddhism the "buddha-mind" is our true birthright and is beyond the body and all matter in time and space. It simply waits for us to discover it.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 10:573 edits
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    RBHill wrote...

[b]Praying to Mary or Buddha or to a muslim god or anyone else these people are all dead.

This is an inadequate understanding of Buddha.

When the Buddha reached his full enlightenment under the Banyan tree ...[text shortened]... l matter in time and space. It simply waits for us to discover it.[/b]
    he has 3 out of 3 wrong
    Catholics pray for Mary to pray
    Allah is the Judeo-Christian god

And you already addressed the Buddhist issue
    Im not sure but is there an " Our Buddha " prayer ?
  14. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 11:13
    "Our Buddha, Who Art Watching over the Frog's Pond..."

Kidding.

Here...

1. Buddham sharanam gacchami: "I take refuge in the Buddha," the Enlightened One, the Teacher, the one whose life gives living proof that it is possible to transcend the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.

2. Dharmam sharanam gacchami: "I take refuge in the Dharma" the Teaching of the Buddha detailing the path to the attainment of Nirvana

3. Sangham sharanam gacchami: "I take refuge in the Sangha” the "association" of those monastic and lay disciples of the Buddha committed to following the Dharma (his teachings).
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 11:38
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    "Our Buddha, Who Art Watching over the Frog's Pond..."

Kidding.

Here...

1. Buddham sharanam gacchami: "I take refuge in the Buddha," the Enlightened One, the Teacher, the one whose life gives living proof that it is possible to transcend the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.

2. Dharmam sharanam gacchami: "I take refuge in the Dharm ...[text shortened]... se monastic and lay disciples of the Buddha committed to following the Dharma (his teachings).
    lol

Seem more like statements about a way of thinking than a prayer

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree