1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 20:57
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    That's just not good enough.

Hearsay does not stand up in a court of law.
    Only facts will do.
    No one can see evidence for God that don't believe in Him, they will always
    see an excuse not to agree this is evidence. Only God can reveal Himself
    to you, I cannot show you God. God does draw us, you'd not even entertain
    the question if God wasn't working on you drawing you to Him. Reaching
    out to God is only done when God draws, it will not be done while living in
    one's own selfish life. The only court that matters with this question is the
    one of our hearts, not proof through science, science is blind to God, and
    you need eyes to see.
    Kelly
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 21:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It certainly is worth investigating. But oddly enough whenever I bring up the topic on this forum, the theist show no interest whatsoever in investigating, instead they are only interested in asserting and affirming their beliefs. You will not find one single theist on this site publicly asking 'does God exist, lets, investigate it scientifically' you wi ...[text shortened]... gle theist asking 'is there life after death, lets discuss it or investigate it scientifically'.
    Agreed...but to bring tangible evidence is not possible. The best I can do is direct you to churches where miraculous healing is taking place.

As I have stated already
    Heb 11:6
    But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
    NKJV

Many will testify that these rewards are not speaking of future, but the here and now...

If countless people have bought into this, many with their lives, indeed it is worth investigating. But the way is right before your eyes. God values faith for some reason I do not completely understand.
    But I don't understand exactly how electricity works either, it just does.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Believing that aliens exist and believing that it is possible for aliens to exist are two different things.
    Yes, of course.

I don't mean that any old belief in aliens is valid. If their evidence is "there was a UFO that couldn't possibly be man-made so it must be ALIENS!" - I wouldn't take that seriously. But if they present evidence that, based on the size of our galaxy and the presence of many other galaxies / solar systems, it is likely that other life exists somewhere, that might be reasonable. I might not agree with their evaluation of the evidence, but I would not think them a kook for believing it.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 22:28
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, of course.

I don't mean that any old belief in aliens is valid. If their evidence is "there was a UFO that couldn't possibly be man-made so it must be ALIENS!" - I wouldn't take that seriously. But if they present evidence that, based on the size of our galaxy and the presence of many other galaxies / solar systems, it is likely that other life e ...[text shortened]... agree with their evaluation of the evidence, but I would not think them a kook for believing it.
    Again, is saying that other life is likely to exist the same as believing that other life exists? I would say no, it isn't.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 22:32
    Again, is saying that other life is likely to exist the same as believing that other life exists? I would say no, it isn't.
    Does belief have to be 100% certain or can it be just more likely than not? If not, what level of certitude is required before one can say they hold a belief?
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 22:361 edit
    Does belief have to be 100% certain or can it be just more likely than not? If not, what level of certitude is required before one can say they hold a belief?
    Well this is the whole argument isn't it?

It's my contention that if you know something to be
    factual and true, then you can have absolute belief in it.

But Christians and other religious denominations don't have 100% belief.

A lot of what they believe in is based on faith.

I know a lot of people who put faith in things only to discover
    that they made a mistake and their faith in what they had put
    faith in had let them down once they had discovered the real truth.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Oct '13 23:47
    Well, I certainly don't think a 51% probability assessment equals belief. It may be the case that it does have to equal 100%. I am 100% certain that evolution is true. Therefore I believe in evolution. I am not 100% certain that a god does not exist. Therefore I do not believe in god's non-existence. I think it is unlikely that a god exists, but I will stop short of claiming to believe in his (its) non-existence.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Oct '13 02:25
    Well, I certainly don't think a 51% probability assessment equals belief. It may be the case that it does have to equal 100%. I am 100% certain that evolution is true. Therefore I believe in evolution. I am not 100% certain that a god does not exist. Therefore I do not believe in god's non-existence. I think it is unlikely that a god exists, but I will stop short of claiming to believe in his (its) non-existence.
    I think it's interesting that science doesn't like to use the term 'law' anymore. Probably because there were exceptions discovered to Laws like Newton's Laws of Motion. Einstein only got 'theory' status for Relativity even though it has been well-verified.

I tend to share that thinking. I am not sure how likely one must think that some proposition is for it to be called a belief, but I think it is often less than 100% (though substantially more than 51).
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Oct '13 02:28
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Well this is the whole argument isn't it?

It's my contention that if you know something to be
    factual and true, then you can have absolute belief in it.

But Christians and other religious denominations don't have 100% belief.

A lot of what they believe in is based on faith.

I know a lot of people who put faith in things only to discover ...[text shortened]... faith in what they had put
    faith in had let them down once they had discovered the real truth.
    That's the difficulty - people do know that the god stuff is 'factual and true' - or at least they think they do. I know many people who sincerely think they know this stuff. I used to be one of them.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Oct '13 05:02
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Agreed...but to bring tangible evidence is not possible. The best I can do is direct you to churches where miraculous healing is taking place.
    So you first admit that 'tangible evidence is not possible' then you try to present some 'tangible evidence'. Please make up your mind.
    Are you saying that churches where miraculous healing takes place cannot be investigated? If not, why not? And if not, why did you mention them?

You asked whether or not it would be worth investigating, yet the moment we start to discuss it, you start to back track and say that it cannot be investigated. Instead you choose to believe despite the lack of evidence and you refuse to investigate anything that might be evidence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree