14 Jul '09 20:49
    Will God accept all religions?
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 20:53
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Not "will" He hasn't and never will HE started THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, Martin Luther rejected His teachings and that started the protestants (protesting) and it went downhill from there.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 20:58
    To answer this question you must ask, why would God accept all religions?
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:08
    Any god is attached to only their religion, or is attached only to their followers' views of what is a/the legitimate religion.

So, no.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:12
    Is there a God?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:21
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Any god is attached to only their religion, or is attached only to their followers' views of what is a/the legitimate religion.

So, no.
    How can you possibly claim to know this? If there is a god, he certainly would not consider himself bound by human religions. There may be a god, with all earthly religions being imperfect strivings toward him. In this sense, there is no "Christian" god, or "Islamic" god, there would only be a god who patiently watches mankind flail away in their misguided attempts to understand him.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:22
    Why would god accept ANY religions?
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:29
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Not "will" He hasn't and never will HE started THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, Martin Luther rejected His teachings and that started the protestants (protesting) and it went downhill from there.
    Modern humans (Homo Sapiens) have been around for about 200,000 years. Christianity has been around for only 2,000 years. Therefore it has only been possible to be a Christian for 1% of human history. Why did god let 99% of human history (to date) go by before creating his "one true religion?" It does rather seem that your Catholic Church was created by man, and not by god.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 22:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Modern humans (Homo Sapiens) have been around for about 200,000 years. Christianity has been around for only 2,000 years. Therefore it has only been possible to be a Christian for 1% of human history. Why did god let 99% of human history (to date) go by before creating his "one true religion?" It does rather seem that your Catholic Church was created by man, and not by god.
    Well, you are not really the first person to propose this argument. Theologians have speculated over this problem for yonks. I think the standard catechical response is that it was just the right moment for a Messiah. As the Scripture says, Jesus came 'in the fulness of time', so to speak, at the right juncture in history, when civilisation was both ready to accept the truth and when mankind desperately needed redemption from sin. And anyway, as the Bible shows, revelation is supposed to be gradual thing. God tells Moses things he didn't tell Abraham.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:01
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Well, you are not really the first person to propose this argument. Theologians have speculated over this problem for yonks. I think the standard catechical response is that it was just the right moment for a Messiah. As the Scripture says, Jesus came 'in the fulness of time', so to speak, at the right juncture in history, when civilisation was both ready t ...[text shortened]... s, revelation is supposed to be gradual thing. God tells Moses things he didn't tell Abraham.
    That only pushes the problem back a bit. If we accept (for simplicity's sake) that Judaism started around 2,000 BCE, then the whole Abrahamic religious family occupies only 2% of human history. By that timeline, god left humans alone for the first 98% of their history. He then introduced monotheism, but at 99% decided they had screwed it up badly enough to require a savior.

If we go back further, evidence for the first intentional burials dates to around 100,000 BCE. If we accept this as the origin of religious feeling, then it occupies only that last one half of human history.

In light of all this, I find it difficult to believe that the Catholics (or anyone else) really knows what they're talking about. Of course none of this proves there is no god, but it does seem unlikely that if there is one that humans have any idea who, or what, it is.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:07
    That only pushes the problem back a bit. If we accept (for simplicity's sake) that Judaism started around 2,000 BCE, then the whole Abrahamic religious family occupies only 2% of human history. By that timeline, god left humans alone for the first 98% of their history. He then introduced monotheism, but at 99% decided they had screwed it up badly enough to ...[text shortened]... but it does seem unlikely that if there is one that humans have any idea who, or what, it is.
    So the whole time you are arguing about Religion but don't believe in God?

No the Bible says humans have been around for some 6000 years maybe, God didn't just leave humans to fend for themselves, He gave them a conscience, dates back to Adam and Eve.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:181 edit
    So the whole time you are arguing about Religion but don't believe in God?

No the Bible says humans have been around for some 6000 years maybe, God didn't just leave humans to fend for themselves, He gave them a conscience, dates back to Adam and Eve.
    No, I don't believe in god.

Could you please show me where the bible says humans have been around for 6,000 years? I don't seem to be able to find that passage. However, I do see that we have human fossil evidence that is dated to far more than 6,000 years ago. How do you reconcile the two?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:20
    That only pushes the problem back a bit. If we accept (for simplicity's sake) that Judaism started around 2,000 BCE, then the whole Abrahamic religious family occupies only 2% of human history. By that timeline, god left humans alone for the first 98% of their history. He then introduced monotheism, but at 99% decided they had screwed it up badly enough to ...[text shortened]... but it does seem unlikely that if there is one that humans have any idea who, or what, it is.
    All you have done is state the same argument. The same reply stands. 2000 years could have been the ideal time for a saviour. And it has to be admitted that that was possible the ideal time for evangelism with the rise of empire, increasing literacy and development of a merchant economy. Word could spread.
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:48
    No, I don't believe in god.

Could you please show me where the bible says humans have been around for 6,000 years? I don't seem to be able to find that passage. However, I do see that we have human fossil evidence that is dated to far more than 6,000 years ago. How do you reconcile the two?
    A footnote on Saint John's chapter 13, verse 1, "Before the festival day of the Pasch"; This was the last pasch of the ministry of Christ, and according to the common computation, was in the the thirty-third year of our Lord; and in the year of the world 4036 so that means the world has been around for 6012 years.

So human fossils can't have been "far more than 6000 years ago" since humans have only been around 6012.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 00:24
    A footnote on Saint John's chapter 13, verse 1, "Before the festival day of the Pasch"; This was the last pasch of the ministry of Christ, and according to the common computation, was in the the thirty-third year of our Lord; and in the year of the world 4036 so that means the world has been around for 6012 years.

So human fossils can't have been "far more than 6000 years ago" since humans have only been around 6012.
    You are right on the time period that mankind has been on the earth. But the earth itself self is very much older.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree