Witness Lee on the Need for Believing

Witness Lee on the Need for Believing

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Dec 21
12 edits

@PB1022

I think the difference here is that the Apostle Paul, who wrote most of the New Testament, had a direct encounter with the Resurrected Jesus Christ on the Road to Damascus and was personally selected by the Resurrected Christ to deliver His Gospel to the Gentiles.

“But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Of course each and every detail is not identical.

I only highlight that Christian workers / teachers have long practiced to set aside an environment where promising (and willing) disciples could be given more dedicated attention.

This is not kidnapping. This is "Would you like to learn more? If so here are some stipulations by which we are willing to train you to serve as we do. Do you agree?"

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Dec 21

Even in the Old Testament Elijah had the school of the prophets.
Throughout church history servants of God set aside arrangements to shepherd
and tutor particularly interested believers. Levels of agreement to concentration
on the tutelage may vary.

You may know that the Navigators advise their students not to read anything but the Bible. I knew a couple of them. Both were fine men of God, very serious and loving and mature. (I am not sure if they still do this). I thought that regulation was extreme, to not read commentaries. But that was my opinion. They were both impressive consecrated men to my feeling regardless.

It is also the case that someone entering into such an arrangement might be unhappy that they did latter and voice their unhappiness with the experience. And that could be for any number of reasons.

John Mark changed his mind about accompanying Paul and Barnabus.