1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 04:20
    I posted this in the Religious Jokes thread, but since it is actually true, I thought it merited its own thread as well.

Bob Jones University

http://www.bju.edu/academics/umajors.html

Note that several of their undergraduate majors are gender-segregated.
    For example:

Bible, and Bible (Women)
    Camp Ministries, and Camp Ministries (Women)
    Church Music, and Church Music (Women)
    Mathematics, and Mathematics (Women)

(I made that last one up, but their Missionary Aviation major is in fact gender-segregated as well.)
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 06:46
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I posted this in the Religious Jokes thread, but since it is actually true, I thought it merited its own thread as well.

Bob Jones University

For example:

Bible, and Bible (Women)
    Camp Ministries, and Camp Ministries (Women) ...[text shortened]... ade that last one up, but their Missionary Aviation major is in fact gender-segregated as well.)
    The reason these are segregated is because BJU isn't a real university. It's actually a religious camp. Fundamentalist xians send their kids their so that they'll never grow up (like Neverland).

As is the norm in this 4-year cult camps, the math major is about 1/2 to 1 year behind the typical program (at least at decent schools).

And holy crap! You can major in Art, but first choose 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional. I'd hate to see what sort of art comes out of a place like BJU.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 06:55

Bob Jones University

For example:

Bible, and Bible (Women)
    Camp Ministries, and Camp Ministries (Women) ...[text shortened]... ade that last one up, but their Missionary Aviation major is in fact gender-segregated as well.)
    Missionary Aviation??!! Does that mean you only learn to fly in the proper position?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 06:59
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Missionary Aviation??!! Does that mean you only learn to fly in the proper position?
    Awesome.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 13:00

Bob Jones University

For example:

Bible, and Bible (Women)
    They offer a graduate degree in Organ Performance, and the homepage indicates that "Cupid scores big with couples across campus." What kind of school is Bob running down there?
  6. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 13:19
    Sweet zombie Jesus on a pogo stick, their student newspaper sucks.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 13:34
    Originally posted by telerion
    You can major in Art, but first choose 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional.
    Crikey. It all sounds quite 1-dimensional to me.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:21
    Originally posted by telerion
    The reason these are segregated is because BJU isn't a real university. It's actually a religious camp. Fundamentalist xians send their kids their so that they'll never grow up (like Neverland).

As is the norm in this 4-year cult camps,
    And holy crap! You can major in Art, but first choose 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional. I'd hate to see what sort of art comes out of a place like BJU.
    the math major is about 1/2 to 1 year behind the typical program (at least at decent schools).
    Are you sure it's not seven months, one week, two days, four hours, sixteen minutes and thirty-two seconds behind?
    Out of curiosity, what standard of measure are you using?
    Funny the mocking occurs when people either don't understand or agree. Can you back up your stance on de-segregated schooling? Does freedom only exist where contention resides?
    Don't like Renaissance art either, can it be assumed?
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:00
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Can you back up your stance on de-segregated schooling?
    LOL
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:00
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]the math major is about 1/2 to 1 year behind the typical program (at least at decent schools).
    Are you sure it's not seven months, one week, two days, four hours, sixteen minutes and thirty-two seconds behind?
    Out of curiosity, what standard of measure are you using?
    Funny the mocking occurs when people either don't understand or agree. Can you ...[text shortened]... m only exist where contention resides?
    Don't like Renaissance art either, can it be assumed?[/b]
    My standard is my experience as both a student of mathematics and an educator at the post-secondary level. "Transcendental Functions" is not a class that should count towards any math major, although it does at BJU. At decent schools that's called "College Algebra," and only students who struggle with math take it. According to BJU, the usual time that BJU math majors take Calc II is sophomore year. That should be over by freshman year. If you actually look at their description of the major, you'll see that that pace continues throughout, therefore they are off by 1/2 to 1 year.

There's a reason for this though. BJU is not on the top of most kids lists, and even very talented evagelical kids are more likely to attend an elite secular university over a cult camp. It's only natural that their standards are going to be lower.

As for the rest of your aimless questions, I will deal with them briefly.
    College depends crucially upon free inquiry. It is the time when students learn to question everything they believe. They shape their own paradigm both through rigorous investigation in the classroom and life experience in a safe (relative to the outside world) environment. The student decides for themselves what is right and wrong (as they must in order to be adults) and figures out how they will deal with people who believe and act differently. The result of a successful college experience is a student who can think critically, express his or herself creatively and cogently, and interact with people of almost all stripes and beliefs.

BJU on the otherhand seeks to stimey the process of free inquiry by restricting discussion in the classroom and punishing attempts to experience life in any manner that does not fit into an extremely narrow and distorted set of rules. It doggedly represses heterogeneity both through the admission process and through a extremely strict code of conduct. In so doing it actively works to maintain the child mentality that does not question by continually reinforcing the parents' belief system. The result of this is a student who cannot think for themselves and is prepared only to function within a very narrow social group tied closely to their church.

So there you go. But then . . . what do you know????

Do you think interracial marriage is a sin? Should only white kids get an education in the LORD? Should you actually check out BJU a little bit before getting all defensive?
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:14
    http://www.bju.edu/academics/cas/undergrad/divms/math.html

A university cannot offer a mathematics program and teach set theory as an 'elective'. That's equivalent to Spanish majors studying grammar as an elective; it's ridiculous.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:22
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    http://www.bju.edu/academics/cas/undergrad/divms/math.html

A university cannot offer a mathematics program and teach set theory as an 'elective'. That's equivalent to Spanish majors studying grammar as an elective; it's ridiculous.
    Does the intersection of the set of all sets and the set of all real universities that offer set theory only as an elective contain itself?
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 16:34
    Does the intersection of the set of all sets and the set of all real universities that offer set theory only as an elective contain itself?
    Charles Manson: "Dreamers dreaming dreams of dreams dreaming dreamers."
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 18:121 edit
    Yes. I think.

EDIT - Ever since I heard of BJU, and especially now that I know they have a women only Organ Manipulation major, I NEED to go down there and get jiggy with a rebelling BJU chick or three. It's a life quest now.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 18:46
    Great thread. Isn't it just great to see how backward those Xtians really are? A bunch of semi-literate Bible-thumpers is all you would get from that fruit salad of a pseudo-school.

On the other hand I wonder what percentage of Princeton or Harvard actually end up in the third world sharing their hard earned knowledge and skills with people who really need it -- giving up their lives for the poor and destitute of this world.

Oh yes, but their real goal is evangelising and prosletysing so all that doesn't count.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree