Women's Majors at Bob Jones University

Women's Majors at Bob Jones University

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Great thread. Isn't it just great to see how backward those Xtians really are? A bunch of semi-literate Bible-thumpers is all you would get from that fruit salad of a pseudo-school.

On the other hand I wonder what percentage of Princeton or Harvard actually end up in the third world sharing their hard earned knowledge and skills with people who really n ...[text shortened]... d.

Oh yes, but their real goal is evangelising and prosletysing so all that doesn't count.
I like it! Even if you didn't write it for the reasons that I like it.

Aside: If your looking for a school body that travels the globe helping the needy and poor (while always maintaining an unwavering devotion to inculcate) look no further then that other B-school, BYU. It puts the other xian schools to shame.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by telerion
I like it! Even if you didn't write it for the reasons that I like it.

Aside: If your looking for a school body that travels the globe helping the needy and poor (while always maintaining an unwavering devotion to inculcate) look no further then that other B-school, B[b]Y
U. It puts the other xian schools to shame.[/b]
Pardon my ignorance: Brigham Young University?

Edit: My point in the previous post being that one can't always judge a book by its cover and sometimes the quality of education isn't the only measuring stick to gauge the worth of a facility.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
12 Feb 06

My standard is my experience as both a student of mathematics and an educator at the post-secondary level. "Transcendental Functions" is not a class that should count towards any math major, although it does at BJU. At decent schools that's called "College Algebra," and only students who struggle with math take it. According to BJU, the usual time that ...[text shortened]... the LORD? Should you actually check out BJU a little bit before getting all defensive?
To be fair, I thought that Freaky was referring to the gender-segregation that Dr.S raised. BJU does not have a good a history on racial segregation; they desegregated (racially) in 1975, I think to maintain their tax-status. They dropped their rule prohibiting interracial dating in 2000. I did find this letter from a BJU alumnus to his son, lamenting that BJU dropped the interracial dating rule, which gives a kind of overview of the history.

http://www.nationalist.org/alt/2000/mar/nathan.html

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by vistesd
To be fair, I thought that Freaky was referring to the gender-segregation that Dr.S raised. BJU does not have a good a history on racial segregation; they desegregated (racially) in 1975, I think to maintain their tax-status. They dropped their rule prohibiting interracial dating in 2000. I did find this letter from a BJU alumnus to his son, lamenting tha ...[text shortened]... gives a kind of overview of the history.

http://www.nationalist.org/alt/2000/mar/nathan.html
Yowsers! Is that thing for real???

Yes, Freak was probably referring to sex segregation. In my opinion, sex segregation in junior high or even high school has some real positive benefits, and seperating young boys and girls during school hours may be a good thing. My biggest concern would be whether the quality of the two programs would remain equal.

But we're talking about college, and by then I think it's time to go ahead and let the kids in on the other 50% of the world. Moreover, campuses like BJU restrict male-female interaction outside the classroom as well. BJU's intentions go much further than just keeping the kids focused in the classroom. It's about controlling and indoctrinating. It's not a university in any respectable sense. It's a xian missionary base that offers some vocational training.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Pardon my ignorance: Brigham Young University?

Edit: My point in the previous post being that one can't always judge a book by its cover and sometimes the quality of education isn't the only measuring stick to gauge the worth of a facility.
It is the only way to gauge the worth of a facility whose goal is to ascertain and communicate the rational truth, which is what a university, in principle, is.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
12 Feb 06

Yes, Freak was probably referring to sex segregation. In my opinion, sex segregation in junior high or even high school has some real positive benefits, and seperating young boys and girls during school hours may be a good thing. My biggest concern would be whether the quality of the two programs would remain equal ...[text shortened]... any respectable sense. It's a xian missionary base that offers some vocational training.

My reaction exactly!

I did some cursory searching for those alleged Biblical injunctions against miscegenation. The basic text used seems to be: Deuteronomy 23:2—

“Those born of an illicit union shall not be admitted to the assembly of YHVH. Even to the tenth generation, none of their descendants shall be admitted to the assembly of YHVH.” (NRSV, except for my substitution of YHVH for “the LORD”.)

The Hebrew word rendered by the phrase in bold is mamzer. This is sometimes translated as “bastard,” but that, too, is inaccurate. It basically means, in Judaism, a child born from an incestuous relationship—or an “adulterous” relationship if marriage would not otherwise have been permissible under Jewish law. For example, a child simply born out of wedlock is not mamzer, nor is a child of a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father who are not married (this follows the Jewish matrilineality).

Basically, this is a question of “Who is a Jew?” I’m not sure how rigorously non-Orthodox Jewry (e.g., Conservative or reform Jews) treat this. I did come across a Talmudic saying that a learned mamzer is to be esteemed higher than an unlearned high priest (presumably this refers to Talmud/Torah learning; so a mamzer is not entirely excluded from the Jewish community, at least under rabbinical Judaism).

Some Christians, however, assert that mamzer means “mongrel.” I could find absolutely no Jewish commentary that supports that interpretation.

Florida

Moves
12 Feb 06

One needs to visit the campus and talk with more than just disgruntled graduates or those who reject the truths the school adheres to. This school has a lot of respect among the business community as well as various ministries. Their graduates are sought out due to the quality of training, their integrity, and godly testimony. When you visit the campus you’ll see a genuine concern for others and a commitment to the Scriptures.

It’s not a perfect place. Flawed individuals run it, but they do strive to follow the teachings of Christ. Not everyone who graduates from there continues in the truths they are taught, but many of their graduates have excellent reputations and contribute a lot to the benefit of mankind and yes attempt to further the gospel of Christ.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by Flash
One needs to visit the campus and talk with more than just disgruntled graduates or those who reject the truths the school adheres to. This school has a lot of respect among the business community as well as various ministries. Their graduates are sought out due to the quality of training, their integrity, and godly testimony. When you visit the campus you’ll ...[text shortened]... and contribute a lot to the benefit of mankind and yes attempt to further the gospel of Christ.
Contributing to the benefit of mankind and spreading the gospel of christ are contradictory aims. One cannot do both simultaneously.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Feb 06

One needs to visit the campus and talk with more than just disgruntled graduates or those who reject the truths the school adheres to. This school has a lot of respect among the business community as well as various ministries. Their graduates are sought out due to the quality of training, their integrity, and godly testimony. When you visit the campus you’ll ...[text shortened]... and contribute a lot to the benefit of mankind and yes attempt to further the gospel of Christ.
In the college where I teach, I had a student who had graduated from Bob Jones and needed to get another undergraduate degree because his Bob Jones degree was not considered good enough for teacher certification in my state (and the state standards are not exceptionally high). He attended the school where I teach (a religious school) because it was the only school in the area that would credit any of the work he did at BJU.

Now that he has a degree from a credible school, he is one of the BJU alum in graduate school.

Florida

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Contributing to the benefit of mankind and spreading the gospel of christ are contradictory aims. One cannot do both simultaneously.
I believe contributing to the benefit of mankind can be accomplished by spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Feb 06

I believe contributing to the benefit of mankind can be accomplished by spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
And I believe you are mistaken.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06
2 edits

It’s not a perfect place . . . Not everyone who graduates from there continues in the truths they are taught,
This is exactly what I'm talking about. At a real university, such graduates would generally be celebrated, not depised.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
12 Feb 06
2 edits

Do the following excerpts from the letter by a BJU alumnus that I cited above reflect the views of “a disgruntled graduate” or “those who reject the truths the school adheres to?” (Or, at least, adhered to until very recent history?)

Among biblical Christians, there was also the self-evident fact that God must have distinguished the various bloodlines for a purpose, and mongrelization would thwart that purpose.

It is undeniable that the founder and the administration which brought Bob Jones University into being were thoroughly in favor of the separation and the purity of blood which was preserved thereby.

When I entered BJU in the fall of 1973, there was for sale in the bookstore a 1960 pamphlet by Bob Jones, Sr. called Is Segregation Scriptural? The answer, of course, was "yes." The pamphlet repeated the same arguments which were current among most Christians at the time. Dr. Bob believed that God wanted Negroes to retain their identities. Also, he attributed integrationist agitation and the push for integration and intermarriage to modernists, liberals and one-worlders who wanted to "eradicate boundaries God had set."

There was to be no social integration between unmarried Negroes and Americans; social integration would lead inevitably to intermarriage.

If BJU now says that certain “truths” held until just recently (up to March, 2000!) were wrong, what “truths” should graduates up until just 6 years ago hold to? It must be mighty hard for some of them to just let go of the anti-miscegenation principles that they learned were Biblically-based (without or without a specific verse addressing interracial marriage).

I’m asking the questions because of the generality of your post and the reference to “disgruntled graduates.”

In fairness, here is the transcript of the Larry King interview the day Bob Jones III announced that the rule against interracial dating had been dropped.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0003/03/lkl.00.html

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by vistesd
Do the following excerpts from the letter by a BJU alumnus that I cited above reflect the views of “a disgruntled graduate” or “those who reject the truths the school adheres to?” (Or, at least, adhered to until very recent history?)

Among biblical Christians, there was also the self-evident fact that God must have distinguished the various blo ...[text shortened]... acial dating had been dropped.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0003/03/lkl.00.html
When I read this, I am reminded at how much culture shapes religion. In most places in our country a rule against interracial marriage would be eagerly repudiated. It's no surprise that today while the evils have changed (homosexual unions) the rhetoric stays the same. I can't help but wonder what other rules will be retracted in the years ahead.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Feb 06

So there you go. But then . . . what do you know????
College depends crucially upon free inquiry. It is the time when students learn to question everything they believe. They shape their own paradigm both through rigorous investigation in the classroom and life experience in a safe (relative to the outside world) environment. The student decides for themselves what is right and wrong (as they must in order to be adults) and figures out how they will deal with people who believe and act differently.
Really? I must be some kind of monster then, as my five kids are being taught to think for themselves even before they reach high school. In my family, pre-algebra begins at third grade; algebra in earnest by fourth.
But then, what do I know?