1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 23:34
    Words to Ponder

"But if your eye be evil, your whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you be darkness, how great is that darkness!" Matthew 6:23 American Standard Version. Applicable to the United States of America, 2013. Comments?
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 23:01
    Are you reading "darkness" to refer to the skin color of the President?

I'm not seeing the connection here.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '13 23:49
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    Are you reading "darkness" to refer to the skin color of the President?

I'm not seeing the connection here.
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    "Are you reading "darkness" to refer to the skin color of the President?
    I'm not seeing the connection here."

"The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light: ho luchnos tou somatos estin (2SPAI) ho ophthalmos. ean oun e (3SPAS) ho ophthalmos sou aplous, holon to soma sou photeinon estai (3SFMI) (Luke 11:34, 35, 36) (Acts 2:46; 2Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 6:5; Colossians 3:22)

Mt 6:22-23 expands Mt 6:19-21, so that the eye becomes an illustration of one's heart.

C H Spurgeon's comments...

22, 23. The motive is the eye of the soul, and if it be clear, the whole character will be right; but if it be polluted, our whole being will become defiled. The eye of the understanding may also be here understood: if a man does not see things in a right light, he may live in sin and yet fancy that he is doing his duty. A man should live up to his light; but if that light is itself darkness, what a mistake his whole course will be! If our religion leads us to sin, it is worse than irreligion. If our faith is presumption, our zeal selfishness, our prayer formality, our hope a delusion, our experience infatuation, the darkness is so great that even our Lord holds up his hands in astonishment and says — “How great is that darkness! “ Oh, for a single eye to God’s glory, a sincere consecration unto the Lord This alone can fill my soul with light. (Commentary)

Eye (3788) (ophthalmos) is the physical organ of sight, one of the chief channels of information for man. A cruel custom sanctioned among heathen nations was the putting out of the eyes of an enemy or a rival, because in this way his power was most effectually shattered (Judges 16:21-NOTE; 2Kings 25:7; Jeremiah 39:7).

The eye, to be useful, was to be "single," not characterized by double vision (cf Luke 11:34). What does an eye do? It enables one to see their way, but it must be a "clear eye" to fulfill this function. Jesus uses the term "bad eye" in a figurative sense, teaching that such an eye tries to focus on worldly possessions (material gain) and on God at the same time which confuses the person ("spiritual double vision" ) and they cannot see their way clearly as they walk through life. Jesus' main point is that believers must maintain a clear, single eye, giving God our sole attention. "Bad eyes" are stingy and covet money and wealth and produce spiritual darkness, which Jesus warns is great!"

Fleming offers an interesting explanation that...

"To illustrate the results of right and wrong attitudes to material things, Jesus referred to a local belief about the results of good and bad eyesight. People believed that eyes were like windows that allowed light to enter the body and keep it in good health. Healthy eyes meant a healthy body (light); diseased eyes meant a diseased body (darkness). A healthy view of material things will result in a healthy spiritual life; but an unhealthy view will mean that the natural spiritual darkness already in the heart will become even darker (Matt 6:22, 23). A person can be a slave of only one master at a time. If people devote their attention to increasing their prosperity and comfort, they can no longer claim to be loyal to God (Matt 6:24)."

Wiersbe adds that...

"Wealth not only enslaves the heart, but it also enslaves the mind (Matt. 6:22, 23). God’s Word often uses the eye to represent the attitudes of the mind. If the eye is properly focused on the light, the body can function properly in its movements. But if the eye is out of focus and seeing double, it results in unsteady movements. It is most difficult to make progress while trying to look in two directions at the same time. If our aim in life is to get material gain, it will mean darkness within. But if our outlook is to serve and glorify God, there will be light within. If what should be light is really darkness, then we are being controlled by darkness; and outlook determines outcome. (Wiersbe, W: Bible Exposition Commentary. 1989. Victor)

Jews considered the eye to be the window of one's soul. It follows that what one allows into his or her mind and thought-life produces desires, which in turn produce action and it is one's actions (or conduct) that reveal who that person truly is."

http://www.preceptaustin.org/matthew_622-23.htm

Hi, UzumakiAi. Thanks for your question; the answer's 'no'. I hope these commentaries help you see the "connection here".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree