1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 05:33
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Hmm. While on the one hand I think it's a bit silly for athletes to point to the sky after every touchdown they score, I can't help but think your statement is a tad absolutist. Righteous people are NEVER supposed to pray for a sports team? Why not?
    You don't see the difficulty here because you're not religious.

God can't be bothered which team wins, EVER.

Why in the hell would a person pray for some team to win, when there are people going hungry, people getting killed, people being enslaved EVERY DAY?

Which team wins is pretty damned far down God's priority list, and for a person to think it is so important that it should get bumped to the top is selfishness taken to a new extreme.

No, no righteous man would pray for that.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 07:01
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    How do you know this?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 13:01
    You don't see the difficulty here because you're not religious.

Why in the hell would a person pray for some team to win, when there are people going hungry, people getting killed, people being enslaved EVERY DAY?

Which team wins is pretty damned far down God's priority list, and for a person to think i ...[text shortened]... d to the top is selfishness taken to a new extreme.

Who said anything about changing God's priority list?

So you're only allowed to pray about hunger, killing, and slavery...I guess people in the first world don't get to pray for much in their local lives, then?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 10:58
    If god can't be bothered saving children from suffering then I don't see how a football match will get his attention.

Besides .. doesn't he already know the results?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 01:47
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If god can't be bothered saving children from suffering then I don't see how a football match will get his attention.

Besides .. doesn't he already know the results?
    Are you talking about children suffering down through the millennia, or just the children that have caught your political eye this last week?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 08:41
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Are you talking about children suffering down through the millennia, or just the children that have caught your political eye this last week?
    The whole lot.
    The Holocaust kids, the starving, the diseased, my daughter.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 08:501 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 09:16
    Which team wins is pretty damned far down God's priority list, and for a person to think it is so important that it should get bumped to the top is selfishness taken to a new extreme.

Then in one fell swoop you judge all people who pray for their sports team to win, as being unrighteousness...is that what you are saying?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 10:10
    Then in one fell swoop you judge all people who pray for their sports team to win, as being unrighteousness[sic]...is that what you are saying?
    unrighteous .. I think that is what she is saying.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 10:46
    Then in one fell swoop you judge all people who pray for their sports team to win, as being unrighteousness...is that what you are saying?
    Nope, you have the cart before the horse.

Not, if you pray for a sports team, then you're unrighteous.

What I am saying is that those who DO pray for a sports team do not understand who they pray to. A righteous man would understand that he's wasting his time praying for something so insignificant. Praying for harmony among spectators, or that everyone involved in the game do their best is one thing. But to pray that one team win is simply not God's will, and it simply cheapens the act of prayer. What I SAID was that a righteous man would never pray that one team win over another team. I did not say that if one does pray for that that they are automatically "unrighteous". There are vanishingly few biblically righteous people on the earth anymore. But that also doesn't make them wicked, sinful or evil, like you apparently would like to suggest I'm saying.

Don't worry about it. I wasn't singling you out.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 15:101 edit
    The whole lot.
    The Holocaust kids, the starving, the diseased, my daughter.
    As you have brought her into this, how is your daughter suffering and is it relevant?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 15:143 edits
    Nope, you have the cart before the horse.

Not, if you pray for a sports team, then you're unrighteous.

What I am saying is that those who DO pray for a sports team do not understand who they pray to. A righteous man would understand that he's wasting his time praying for something so insignificant. Praying for harmony among spectators, or that ever ...[text shortened]... pparently would like to suggest I'm saying.

Don't worry about it. I wasn't singling you out.
    Err no, there is no cart nor a horse...how you have got carts and horses into this is funny. No, actually what you have posted is a load of obfuscation and waffle.

Here is what you said:
    “No, no righteous man would pray for that” (his team to win).

So you are in fact saying that any person who prays for their team to win is unrighteous and in one fell swoop you condem billions under your partisan hammer.

Nice one...

PS ever prayed for your team to win? 😉
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 18:42
    Err no, there is no cart nor a horse...how you have got carts and horses into this is funny. No, actually what you have posted is a load of obfuscation and waffle.

Here is what you said:
    [b]“No, no righteous man would pray for that”
    (his team to win).

So you are in fact saying that any person who prays for their team to win is unrighteous a ...[text shortened]... billions under your partisan hammer.

Nice one...

PS ever prayed for your team to win? 😉[/b]
    I think what she's saying is that if a man is righteous, he would pray for more important things and not be bothered praying about a sports event.

Maybe you're confused with the way she phrased it.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 19:01
    As you have brought her into this, how is your daughter suffering and is it relevant?
    She died.
    No more or less relevant than any child that has suffered.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 19:04
    She died.
    No more or less relevant than any child that has suffered.
    My condolences wolfgang59.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree