1. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 01:06
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Having said that, I must say, all things considered, I find Christian belief far more reasonable than atheistic belief.
    Well, I suppose some believers find it less reasonable, but just carry on believing anyway.

Interesting use of the term 'evidence' by the way.
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 01:25
    Originally posted by 667joe
    If I could some how prove to you that there is no god (for the sake of argument) would you act any differently than you do now in your day to day life? 😠
    I'd have to say no. My behavior isn't based on fear of an afterlife, but on how I think people should be treated regardless of an afterlife. I try to be generally kind and generous and helpful. Whether or not there is one or a zillion deities is irrelevant.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 01:36
    Originally posted by galveston75
    A Christian that follows the Bible and examples in the Bible of God's viewpont of gays, would not "bash" them, but would not fellowship with them in anyway unless they were to stop the practice of homosexuality which is completely "forbidden" in the scriptures.
    A Christian would never hate another man as Jesus told us to love our enemy but Jesus never said to "fellowship" with ones who practice sin willfully.
    Why is homosexuality a sin?
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 01:43
    A Christian that follows the Bible and examples in the Bible of God's viewpont of gays, would not "bash" them, but would not fellowship with them in anyway unless they were to stop the practice of homosexuality which is completely "forbidden" in the scriptures.
    A Christian would never hate another man as Jesus told us to love our enemy but Jesus never said to "fellowship" with ones who practice sin willfully.
    So sin is OK as long as it is not willful? Also, since every one sins, who are you going to associate with? Name me a sin that is not willful.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 02:05
    If I could some how prove to you that there is no god (for the sake of argument) would you act any differently than you do now in your day to day life? 😠
    No. A philosophy of life would be pathetic if it were governed by the prescence or abscence of a supreme being.
  6. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 02:09
    So sin is OK as long as it is not willful? Also, since every one sins, who are you going to associate with? Name me a sin that is not willful.
    Some (at least one, anyway) religions teach that in order for a sin to be committed, it has to be done willfully and knowing that it's a sin. For example (not that either are sins, but as an example) there's difference between accidentally knocking a lamp over because you tripped and breaking it, and picking up a lamp and bashing it against something and causing it to break. Although the end result (broken lamp) was the same, there is a difference in intent.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 03:49
    Are you not able to find scriptures that talk about homosexuality and see what consiquences there were for committing the act? Do you know the differance between an unintentional mistake and willfull act? Do you know the differance between getting mad at someone and for a brief second wish they were dead or the actual act of killing them? Do you know the differance between thinking for a brief minute you'd like to have your neighbors possessions and actually stealing them?
    So...if a person has the desire to have a sexual preferance with someone of the same sex that is not good in God's eyes, but to act on that desire and practice that, it is a wilfull sin. No differance then acting on the urge to murder as both of those acts are condemened by God and at one time were both punished by death.
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 06:05
    Are you not able to find scriptures that talk about homosexuality and see what consiquences there were for committing the act? Do you know the differance between an unintentional mistake and willfull act? Do you know the differance between getting mad at someone and for a brief second wish they were dead or the actual act of killing them? Do you know the ...[text shortened]... urder as both of those acts are condemened by God and at one time were both punished by death.
    Why does god consider homosexuality a sin?
  9. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 06:08
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Some (at least one, anyway) religions teach that in order for a sin to be committed, it has to be done willfully and knowing that it's a sin. For example (not that either are sins, but as an example) there's difference between accidentally knocking a lamp over because you tripped and breaking it, and picking up a lamp and bashing it against something a ...[text shortened]... o break. Although the end result (broken lamp) was the same, there is a difference in intent.
    So you agree, if it is not willful, it's not a sin, or, in other words, all sin is willful. Thank you!
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 06:17
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]Having said that, I must say, all things considered, I find Christian belief far more reasonable than atheistic belief.

Well, I suppose some believers find it less reasonable, but just carry on believing anyway.

Interesting use of the term 'evidence' by the way.[/b]
    So it is more reasonable to believe in virgin birth, resurrection, transubstantiation, walking on water, living in a whale, making the earth stop spinning, and eternal damnation than to be an atheist?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 07:46
    Why does god consider homosexuality a sin?
    God created humans with the command to repoduce with Adam & Eve. Without that the human race would die.
    God also created humans and as a result has the right to make laws which would govern our health. If you look at most laws and principles in the Bible, most really revolve around life and health issues and the importance of life. And not just human life but all life on earth.
    Sexuality was designed by God to be clean and a purposeful event for us all. But by the nature of the act performed by two of the same sex, it is not a natural act and as a result contact with diseases can be contracted as in the case of AIDS as well as other health complications.
    God in foresight could see that the nature of same sex acts would expose ones to unclean parts of the body that were not intended for that use, especially with males.
    So in God's eyes it is not only unclean but against what he designed us for. And if one just looks at nature and the animal life, one can see the way that sexual relations are to work. Homosexuality does not exist.
  12. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 11:58
    So it is more reasonable to believe in virgin birth, resurrection, transubstantiation, walking on water, living in a whale, making the earth stop spinning, and eternal damnation than to be an atheist?
    That's a false dichotomy. Not all believers are so literal minded.

But epiphinehas above regards christian belief as more reasonable than atheism. I was just making the point that most people are in this position, (thinking their own world view is the most reasonable), whilst a few recognise that in fact they don't hold religious beliefs in the same register as everyday beliefs. They might realise that their religious beliefs, viewed from an everyday perspective are unreasonable, but nonetheless still believe them.
    I suppose it is a bit of an obvious point, but there you go.
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 13:05
    By your reasoning, lesbian sex should be approved of because there is even less chance of disease than hetero sex. Last time I checked. Hetero sex spreads plenty of disease. By the way, if the bible approved of homosexuality, would you approve also?f

The basic question is, is something good because it is good, or is it good because god says it is good? Remember, the bible also approves of slavery. Is slavery therefore good?
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 14:32
    By your reasoning, lesbian sex should be approved of because there is even less chance of disease than hetero sex. Last time I checked. Hetero sex spreads plenty of disease. By the way, if the bible approved of homosexuality, would you approve also?f

The basic question is, is something good because it is good, or is it good because god says it is good? Remember, the bible also approves of slavery. Is slavery therefore good?
    You really need to dig a little deeper on your reading the Bible and try to get the reasons why such things as slavery were approved by God and not jump to such reactions. Perhaps if you had the correct understandings of the Bible you may view it differently with all that you disagree with.
    Anyway the slavery your assuming was allowed by God is not the slavery we had in this country not to many decades ago.
    But to explain to you in a short, the slavery in the Bible was for ones that were indebted to someone for something they did such a steal, or say kill an ox for example of another person. If the person at fault could not repay the value of that ox then he had to work for that person until the debt was paid off with labor. The maximum time period that the slave had to work was not over 7 years or if the Jubilee year came first.
    Also if a person had no income due to circumstance in life, he could sell himself into slavery in order to survive but in time could buy himself out and go as a free man again.
    And there were very strick laws on how slaves were to be treated. No cruilty allowed.
    Also any homosexual acts by either sexes are condemed in the Bible.
  15. Maryland
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 15:43
    The type of slavery you discuss is considered wrong and illegal today. And again, the only reason homosexuality is wrong to you is because god says so. If homosexuals enjoy sex (especially if they are disease free) what harm or concern is it to you? Would it be OK with you if it could be proven to you that god did not exist?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree