Would you act differently?

Would you act differently?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by epiphinehas
I see your point and agree. There are no definite answers. I might find theism more reasonable, yet I also admit that I don't know for sure that theism is true or exactly why I find theism more reasonable. Internally, I experience the apprehension of the truth of theism as intuitive, i.e., I just know that it must be so. I say intuitive becaus ...[text shortened]... m seems to depend more on inductive reasoning rather than deductive, but I could be mistaken.
Thanks for that. I suspect that for a lot of atheists, the process is fundamentally the same. That is to say, they have strong intuitions which they organise in the context of their conceptual schema or world view. Logical argument is for retrospective justification and keeping things tidy and consistent. I think that's probably true for me anyway.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by 667joe
If I could some how prove to you that there is no god (for the sake of argument) would you act any differently than you do now in your day to day life? 😠
Of course. But then it wouldn't matter would it?

Moves
14 Dec 09

Originally posted by josephw
Of course. But then it wouldn't matter would it?
To whom?

j

Moves
15 Dec 09
2 edits

My suspicions about some atheists is they cannot believe that a perfect person could exist.

They have a conscience. Their conscience informs them that they are imperfect. The idea of God to them means a ultimate person like themselves - that cannot be true. Why? Because they are aware of their imperfection.

There cannot to them be God because that would mean a person like themelves - an imperfect person, and ultimate imperfect person cannot exist.

God cannot exist for them because persons are imperfect.

Now some atheists have rejected my idea. Maybe they're right. However, what does the standard atheist always do?

He immediately labors to prove that any God's motive is wrong, any God's behavior is wrong, any God's thinking is wrong, any God's intention is wrong.

This or that or the other has to be wrong with what God thinks, does, allows, wants, permits, wills. There cannot exist for them an imperfect Person who is ultimate.

What could possibly be God's motive ? It has to be wrong.

What could possibly be God's desire? It has to be wrong.

They derive from themselves the consciousness of thier own sins and think ANY possible God must be a sinner like themselves. So God cannot exist.

I think this is the subconscious thinking of at least some atheists.

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by jaywill
My suspicions about some atheists is they cannot believe that a perfect person could exist.

They have a conscience. Their conscience informs them that they are imperfect. The idea of God to them means a ultimate person like themselves - that cannot be true. Why? Because they are aware of their imperfection.

There cannot to them be God because that wo ...[text shortened]... d cannot exist.

My abiding hope is that god exists and god is kind and that in the presence of god we will know that all shall be well, all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

I'm an atheist and I reckon we are diverse and I suspect you don't really understand us very well.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by jaywill

There cannot to them be God because that wo ...[text shortened]... d cannot exist.

I'm an atheist. Can't say the thoughts you described have ever crossed my mind.