1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 23:14
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What makes you believe that works are repulsive to God?
    Nothing makes me believe: that decision is mine and mine alone. However, the word of God calls our righteousness (works for the purpose of gaining the approbation of God) filthy menstrual rags.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:222 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Nothing makes me believe: that decision is mine and mine alone. However, the word of God calls our righteousness (works for the purpose of gaining the approbation of God) filthy menstrual rags.
    What about works for the purpose of helping one's fellow man?

Do you have verses that state 'the word of God calls our righteousness filthy menstrual rags'? Or is this your decision and yours alone?

By the way, you might want to break out Mr. Dictionary and look up both makes and righteousness 🙂
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:491 edit
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Ivan,

Thanks for the glorious cut and paste job, it was awesome. Unfortunately, i have already read the Bible, many times, so if you could go ahed and just type out the point your are trying to make...in your own words...that would be great.

Thanks

TheSkipper
    You've read the Bible many times ? You should read again and study the passages I presented plus the commentary (I bet you never read that) and then read your own first post in this thread.

Noticing your usual sarcasm and disdain I'm not very hopeful about you learning anything about your own and other people's stances.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 00:58
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    You've read the Bible many times ? You should read again and study the passages I presented plus the commentary (I bet you never read that) and then read your own first post in this thread.

Noticing your usual sarcasm and disdain I'm not very hopeful about you learning anything about your own and other people's stances.
    I have found Professor Skippy to be a very sincere contributor to religious ideas in these forums. There is a lot of depth to him that most people don't know about.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 02:20
    What about works for the purpose of helping one's fellow man?

Do you have verses that state 'the word of God calls our righteousness filthy menstrual rags'? Or is this your decision and yours alone?

By the way, you might want to break out Mr. Dictionary and look up both makes and righteousness 🙂
    Funny you should ask.
    Isaiah 64:6
    All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
  6. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 02:28
    What would Jesus do if he were put in charge of your church?

Would Jesus buy a new digital overhead projector or buy food for a soup kitchen?
    Would Jesus buy new hymnals or buy coats for the homeless?
    Would Jesus work at a Christian summer camp or try to reach out to disaffected youths?
    Would Jesus pave a new parking lot for the church or build a ho ...[text shortened]... ost sight of what Jesus stood for? It’s time to TOC.

Anyone know who wrote it?

TheSkipper
    Right on the money. I think the direction the church has gone has alienated a lot of good people. There's a local church where my son used to go with his grandmother. The building is so huge it looks like a Costco (giant warehouse store). They've got all the latest electronic gadgetry and everything else you'd expect at a giant faith-plex--we call it "God Corp.". The church I went to as a child recently burned down. Among the items destroyed in the fire was an $800,000 organ.

These days it seems that people use their religeon to feel better about themselves--to make themselves feel superior to those who are not religeous. In fact, some of the meanest, nastiest people I've ever met are "religeous". I think their idea of "doing what Jesus would do" is to condemn those around them who don't attend church as much as they do.

I agree that we're losing the basic message of Chritianity, which is a genuinely good one. What's really a shame is that so many people (particularly young people) are so turned off by religeon. On the other hand, as an outsider, looking in...who can blame them?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 03:14
    [b]Do you have verses that state 'the word of God calls our righteousness filthy menstrual rags'? Or is this your decision and yours alone?
    Funny you should ask.
    Isaiah 64:6
    All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.[/b]
    Isaiah 64:5-6
    You meet him who rejoices in doing righteousness, Who remembers You in Your ways. Behold, You were angry, for we sinned, We continued in them a long time; And shall we be saved?

For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

You have quite the interesting interpretation. An alternate interpretation would be that these verses address sin and iniquity. That one who lives in sin and iniquity can perform righteous deeds in an attempt to dress oneself up, but God knows what's underneath. In other words, you can slap lipstick on a pig...

Seems like quite a stretch to say that God is repulsed by works. It particularly doesn't make sense if one considers the message of Jesus.
  8. Antwerp, Belgium
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 11:12

Don't you think that it's not up to us to judge people? Everybody has the right to post their ideas here in the forum and if you don't agree with the idea that's no reason to attack him. You can always answer in a polite and calm way.
  9. Gangster Land
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 11:56

Look, call me stupid if you want but in the pages and pages of stuff you pasted into this thread I can see a number of different passages that *could* pertain to my original post (which I did not write, BTW) but I still can't be sure exactly what your point is. Perhaps it is more clear to others? Suffice to say, I don’t get it, could you be more specific?

What would be nice is if you would explain your meaning for me...it is, after all, one of the hallmarks of communication. Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic I just don't know what point you are trying to make. I'm far from the first person to point out how frustrating your cutting and pasting is so you will forgive me if my own impression of your ability to learn is far from promising.

TheSkipper
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 14:031 edit
    Isaiah 64:5-6
    You meet him who rejoices in doing righteousness, Who remembers You in Your ways. Behold, You were angry, for we sinned, We continued in them a long time; And shall we be saved?

For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities s repulsed by works. It particularly doesn't make sense if one considers the message of Jesus.
    I guess we'll have to forget those pesky epistles and the overarching theme of the entire rest of the Bible, instead sticking to a narrowed isolation of random quotes taken out of context. That's a decision only you can make. Just don't blame God for the destruction of a path you chose in complete disregard for His instruction.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 14:04
    Look, call me stupid if you want but in the pages and pages of stuff you pasted into this thread I can see a number of different passages that *could* pertain to my original post (which I did not write, BTW) but I still can't be sure exactly what your point is. Perhaps it is more clear to others? Suffice to say, I don’t get it, could you be more specifi ...[text shortened]... orgive me if my own impression of your ability to learn is far from promising.

TheSkipper
    You never did tell us who wrote it.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 14:481 edit
    I guess we'll have to forget those pesky epistles and the overarching theme of the entire rest of the Bible, instead sticking to a narrowed isolation of random quotes taken out of context. That's a decision only you can make. Just don't blame God for the destruction of a path you chose in complete disregard for His instruction.
    Perhaps in time you'll come to understand the overarching theme of the Bible. Currently, it's pretty evident that you've managed to distort the message in order to continue to live in iniquity. If you truly repent, the message will become clearer. Right now you're lost.

I hope you at least understand that the 'narrowed isolation of random quotes taken out of context' in this case was chosen by YOU.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 15:30
    What would Jesus do if he were put in charge of your church?

Would Jesus buy a new digital overhead projector or buy food for a soup kitchen?
    Would Jesus buy new hymnals or buy coats for the homeless?
    Would Jesus work at a Christian summer camp or try to reach out to disaffected youths?
    Would Jesus pave a new parking lot for the church or build a ho ...[text shortened]... ost sight of what Jesus stood for? It’s time to TOC.

Anyone know who wrote it?

TheSkipper
    Would Jesus watch football or have a favorite team?

Could Jesus vote someone off on survivor?
  14. Gangster Land
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 15:49
    You never did tell us who wrote it.
    I don't know. Just a piece of internet jetsum I guess.
  15. Gangster Land
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 15:49
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Would Jesus watch football or have a favorite team?

Could Jesus vote someone off on survivor?
    I kinda doubt it. What do you think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree