1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    02 Jul '13 00:00
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/21/yoga-school-program_n_2733444.html

    My GP recommended yoga classes to me ... I didn't realise I was risking
    being thrown out of the United Church of Atheism for dislocating my limbs!
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    02 Jul '13 00:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/21/yoga-school-program_n_2733444.html

    My GP recommended yoga classes to me ... I didn't realise I was risking
    being thrown out of the United Church of Atheism for dislocating my limbs!
    Afaics, the nonexistent UCA approves of your dislocations. Their nonexistent scriptures say, Let him who will be loosened up, loosen up. Let the tight remain tight.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91623
    02 Jul '13 00:47
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/21/yoga-school-program_n_2733444.html

    My GP recommended yoga classes to me ... I didn't realise I was risking
    being thrown out of the United Church of Atheism for dislocating my limbs!
    No, yoga is not a religion. Seems there is much misunderstanding as to the differences between personal religion, organized religion, spirituality (be it personal or group), nature let alone god.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    02 Jul '13 01:27
    How much is it going to cost to determine whether or not yoga is a religion?
    ... Only in America ... 😞
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    02 Jul '13 12:33
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/21/yoga-school-program_n_2733444.html

    My GP recommended yoga classes to me ... I didn't realise I was risking
    being thrown out of the United Church of Atheism for dislocating my limbs!
    I don't know if anyone here actually does yoga and could answer this question...

    Does yoga normally involve believing in/being told about "spiritual energy" or souls,
    afterlives, gods, or anything supernatural?

    If it simply involves exercise and meditation then it's not religious... even if it originated
    in a religion.

    Even if it does normally involve belief in the supernatural, I don't think it would qualify
    as a religious activity if these kids are only doing the exercise/meditation aspects of it.

    Perhaps in the same way that giving presents, having a tree and decorations at Christmas,
    are not in of themselves inherently religious activities.

    If the exercise regime of yoga has health benefits, and the meditation helps relax and focus
    the kids then I don't see a problem. As long as they are not given any supernatural baggage
    to go along with it.
  6. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    13077
    02 Jul '13 15:50
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I don't know if anyone here actually does yoga and could answer this question...

    Does yoga normally involve believing in/being told about "spiritual energy" or souls,
    afterlives, gods, or anything supernatural?

    If it simply involves exercise and meditation then it's not religious... even if it originated
    in a religion.

    Even if it does normal ...[text shortened]... e a problem. As long as they are not given any supernatural baggage
    to go along with it.
    I believe it varies. But I (briefly) went to a yoga class and there wasn't anything more spiritual than meditation involved. No talk about spiritual energies or souls or anything like that.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    02 Jul '13 23:23
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    I believe it varies. But I (briefly) went to a yoga class and there wasn't anything more spiritual than meditation involved. No talk about spiritual energies or souls or anything like that.
    That was the impression I had.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    03 Jul '13 06:07
    I don't do Yoga because I can't get my body into those contorted positions.

    YouTube

    The Instructor
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    03 Jul '13 20:53
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    I believe it varies. But I (briefly) went to a yoga class and there wasn't anything more spiritual than meditation involved. No talk about spiritual energies or souls or anything like that.
    I went to yoga classes in the UK and it was purely exercise - no meditation
    involved at all. Perhaps yoga has different connotations in the US?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91623
    04 Jul '13 11:34
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I don't know if anyone here actually does yoga and could answer this question...

    Does yoga normally involve believing in/being told about "spiritual energy" or souls,
    afterlives, gods, or anything supernatural?

    If it simply involves exercise and meditation then it's not religious... even if it originated
    in a religion.

    Even if it does normal ...[text shortened]... e a problem. As long as they are not given any supernatural baggage
    to go along with it.
    I do my own yoga when I feel like it. I know some basic positions that are commonly taught.
    I dont see it as requiring any religion behind it. I just see everything as spiritual, especially the things that my mind/body wants to do. After some practice, it's not hard to feel that my mind/body wants to do some yoga type exercises. Good for the circulation and keeps the synapses firing well.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91623
    04 Jul '13 11:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I went to yoga classes in the UK and it was purely exercise - no meditation
    involved at all. Perhaps yoga has different connotations in the US?
    It is a vital component of Vedic custom. Many if not most yoga manuals are derived from age old vedic (Hindu) literature.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    04 Jul '13 14:20
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It is a vital component of Vedic custom. Many if not most yoga manuals are derived from age old vedic (Hindu) literature.
    Yeah but the Kamasutra is also a religious work...

    Yet most people nowadays wouldn't think that you are engaging in a religious
    ritual by following it...

    Or maybe they do...
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91623
    04 Jul '13 14:28
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yeah but the Kamasutra is also a religious work...

    Yet most people nowadays wouldn't think that you are engaging in a religious
    ritual by following it...

    Or maybe they do...
    Yes, I agree. most semi-intelligent people understand that yoga is just yoga. but it does come from a tradtition where physical well being was considered as important as spiritual well being.
Back to Top