Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 17:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]...and I will take a monkeys body in the next life."

I guess you'd be one of the lucky ones! 🙂

Seriously though, how do you know everything you said is true?[/b]
    The Lord is within the heart and as you embrace devotion service as laid out by true religion your truth is experienced from within.
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 17:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Of course he does, but I asked how does he know it's true!

I know the Bible is true because of the evidence. Take for example the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The record is true and beyond doubt.

For just once I'd like to see the evidence that the Word of God, as it is contained in a book we call the Bible, which every blowhard since the resurrection ...[text shortened]... ns, and to make your subjective assertions based upon them over and over again, just as Dasa is.
    Any literature claiming to be of God must not defend and support and encourage animal slaughter and meat eating.

A small child can see this.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 18:41
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Any literature claiming to be of God must not defend and support and encourage animal slaughter and meat eating.

A small child might do better to not eat meat to avoid choking. However, nutritional scientists believe human health is best when small amounts of meat and fish are added to the diet. 😏
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 18:54
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I figured writing a script might have been overkill (though mercifully you chose perl over bash). That said, I think your script needs to be tweaked a little ...

#!/usr/bin/perl

foreach(<> ){
    chomp;
    print (my $line = reverse("\n".$_)); [hidden]sneaky one this, but reversing order here ensures we don't start with a new line and finish with text ...[text shortened]... (i.e. we're not just undoing the chomp)... also we should actually print something![/hidden]
    }
    I carefully tested my code before posting, but you can't copy and paste from emacs, and then apparently carelessly typed something wrong into the post. I don't totally understand how that happened, The code I tested was:

foreach(<> ){
    chomp;
    printf (reverse($_ )."\n" );
    }
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 20:31
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I carefully tested my code before posting, but you can't copy and paste from emacs, and then apparently carelessly typed something wrong into the post. I don't totally understand how that happened, The code I tested was:

foreach(<> ){
    chomp;
    printf (reverse($_ )."\n" );
    }
    Such is the way with coding. The amount of times I have tested, retested, and tested again just for good measure before getting it approved into mainline where then all sorts of embarrassing things my tests should have caught spring into life! 😀

But yeah this one works better.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 20:561 edit
    Such is the way with coding. The amount of times I have tested, retested, and tested again just for good measure before getting it approved into mainline where then all sorts of embarrassing things my tests should have caught spring into life! 😀

But yeah this one works better.
    The problem in this case was that the code I tested wasn't the code I typed. The problem is that I doubt we can persuade Russ to provide an in-post test code snippet feature.

Edit: I like Perl, I can never remember the format (unlike C where I can just bash the keyboard), but it lets you do stuff without being pedantic about how it's done. Unlike python which has the really monstrously stupid feature that whitespace has syntactic meaning beyond a way of separating tokens, worse it matters what the kind of white space it is; tab is different from space-space-space but looks the same on the on screen. Why do people who design languages think this kind of thing is a good idea?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 07:232 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The problem in this case was that the code I tested wasn't the code I typed. The problem is that I doubt we can persuade Russ to provide an in-post test code snippet feature.

Edit: I like Perl, I can never remember the format (unlike C where I can just bash the keyboard), but it lets you do stuff without being pedantic about how it's done. Unlike py ...[text shortened]... e on the on screen. Why do people who design languages think this kind of thing is a good idea?
    I started with perl as my scripting language and was reluctant to give python a go for largely the same reason. However when you think about it, tabs are horrible anyway (they screw up any hopes of seeing how things are aligned when some other application is rendering them) - and since many code conventions dictate we must use spaces instead of tabs we tend to use things like (in vim) set expandtab, or (in emacs) (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil).
    As for correct space indentation in any language, people should do that without being asked anyway.

That python takes away the freedom to write ill-formatted (and arguably write-only code) by enforcing an indentation scheme isn't really that painful if adhering to that scheme is what you do anyway - and from what I've seen so far, python has a lot of nice things going for it. That said, vim's find the end/start of a braced function using things like [[, ]], or % is one thing I'd miss (probably because my bread and butter language is C++ where 10000+ line copy-paste monstrosities are common place (and usually their innards are different from another such monstrosity only because of a couple of lines), and arrow code (deeply nested if statements) is the new black.)
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 07:521 edit

Surely there'd also be some of your proverbial small children who'd be able to see that your vegetarianism is your own personal lifestyle choice and that your claims that God doesn't want you to eat meat is simply your personal belief/superstition.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 23:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    The superficial element is surely mostly provided by you simply repeating over and over and over again that what you believe is the "real Truth" and that beliefs that are different from yours are not the "real Truth". Sometimes, it seems like your ministry here has nothing much to offer other than your own certainty and sincerity. 😉
    I dunno. That was certainly good enough for Paul.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 23:15
    As for correct space indentation in any language, people should do that without being asked anyway.
    But indentation is severely limited when using variable-width fonts. An "m" takes up a lot more space than a "." or even a " ".
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 23:19

But almost every small child likes fried chicken.

You can be the one to tell them a chicken died so they could eat it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '15 00:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I dunno. That was certainly good enough for Paul.
    Was it?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Mar '15 00:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Was it?
    You know, it's really too bad that your questions on these forums are only meant to deride and derail than to ask any real information.

Even if they are meant to ask and learn, then their purpose is overwhelmed by your history in these forums, which is mainly to deride and secondly to obfuscate.

Why comment at all then? Oh, yeah, I guess it's to simply make fun. Well, then, have your fun without me.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Mar '15 02:51
    Yes.............that is true we all did live a long life before.

But what use is along life if we are suffering and are ignorant.

Some trees live for a thousand years but what use is that if you simply stand out in all soughts of weather and do nothing and know nothing.
    yer op is very interesting to read (and then reread, i'm a tad slow),
    thanks...

trees live but a blink of "time", surely you do not dismiss that one the simplest of lives, the life of a tree, doing nothing, except growing with what is given it, budding and blooming at the thawing frost, providing shade from the star, fruiting at the right time, and feeding humans who pay it lil heed...

indeed,
    what use is that???

i am intrigued...
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '15 03:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You know, it's really too bad that your questions on these forums are only meant to deride and derail than to ask any real information.

Even if they are meant to ask and learn, then their purpose is overwhelmed by your history in these forums, which is mainly to deride and secondly to obfuscate.

Why comment at all then? Oh, yeah, I guess it's to simply make fun. Well, then, have your fun without me.
    My point being, I don't think it is anywhere remotely "good enough" for people like josephw and "Paul" to simply repeat over and over and over again that what they believe is the "real Truth" and that beliefs that are different from theirs are not the "real Truth" and that it's not "good enough" for a ministry to have nothing much to offer other than assertions of certainty and sincerity about doctrine. That's what my question "Was it?" signified. If you don't want to expand on your suggestion that what josephw does to propagate his religious beliefs is "good enough" that's fine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree