1. Joined
    06 Jul '12
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 19:23
    Are you willing to follow Jesus in order to have treasure in heaven?

“Let us follow the Son of God in all ways and in all walks of life. Let us make him our exemplar and our guide. We should at every opportunity ask ourselves, “What would Jesus do?” and then be more courageous to act upon the answer. We must follow Christ, in the best sense of that word–we must be about his work as he was about his Father’s.” Howard W. Hunter, Ensign, Sep 1994

Quote:
    “To follow Christ is to become more like Him. It is to learn from His character. As spirit children of our Heavenly Father, we do have the potential to incorporate Christlike attributes into our life and character. This process is very complex and very simple at the same time–Ancient and modern prophets described it with three words: ‘Keep the commandments’—nothing more, nothing less.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Ensign, October 2008

What is this great treasure in heaven–eternal life?
    “Because of the Savior, we will live forever. Immortality means that we will never die, but eternal life means to live forever in exalted spheres in companionship with those we cherish, encompassed about by profound love, exquisite joy, and glory. ... Eternal life is a gift from a loving Heavenly Father, offered freely and liberally to all who heed the call of the Man of Galilee, ‘Follow me’ (Matt. 4:19).” Joseph B. Wirthlin, Ensign, May 2002

How can we follow the admonition to “Come, follow me”?

“Jesus both taught and exemplified many personal qualities which we should consider as we try to follow Him. These qualities include love, meekness, humility, compassion, thirsting after righteousness, being prayerful, merciful, and pure in heart. ... He especially cautioned us to lay up treasures in heaven rather than treasures on earth. (See Matt. 5–7.) The admonition to ‘Come, follow me’ and the question ‘What would Jesus do?’ provide powerful guidelines for living–paying more attention to these guidelines will help all of us become more Christlike in our thoughts and actions.” William W. Parmley, Liahona, Nov 2003
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 19:452 edits
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins

“Let us follow the Son of God in all ways and in all walks of life. Let us make him our exemplar and our guide. We should at every opportunity ask ourselves, “What would Jesus do?” and then be more courageous to act upon the answer. We must follow Christ, in the best sense of that ...[text shortened]... of us become more Christlike in our thoughts and actions.” William W. Parmley, Liahona, Nov 2003
    Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Christians are no more willing to follow the teachings of Jesus than non-Christians - the promise of a "treasure" not withstanding . The vast majority seem quite content to follow the teachings of Paul and others instead. It seems that the Pauline doctrine of "Salvation by grace" has more than a little bit to do with this. Imagine if Christians instead embraced Jesus' doctrine of "salvation through righteousness". The world would be a much different place.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 20:26
    I thought you were giving something away
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 23:22
    No.

What else have you got?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 00:40
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Christians are no more willing to follow the teachings of Jesus than non-Christians - the promise of a "treasure" not withstanding . The vast majority seem quite content to follow the teachings of Paul and others instead. It seems that the Pauline doctrine of "Salvation by grace" has more than a little bit to do with th ...[text shortened]... octrine of "salvation through righteousness". The world would be a much different place.
    But no man, by himself, can be righteous enough for God, except Jesus.

This is why Jesus came and took upon himself our sin. This is why salvation is through grace. This is why there is no other way to God but through Christ Jesus.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 00:502 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne

This is why Jesus came and took upon himself our sin. This is why salvation is through grace. This is why there is no other way to God but through Christ Jesus.

From what I gather, this common Christian belief is Pauline in origin.

However, in Ezekiel, God taught "salvation through righteousness" which was echoed in the teachings of Jesus.
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 00:58

“Let us follow the Son of God in all ways and in all walks of life. Let us make him our exemplar and our guide. We should at every opportunity ask ourselves, “What would Jesus do?” and then be more courageous to act upon the answer. We must follow Christ, in the best sense of that ...[text shortened]... of us become more Christlike in our thoughts and actions.” William W. Parmley, Liahona, Nov 2003
    Why do you believe in words that were written by fallible men.

None of these words were written by any GOD or by JESUS CHRIST.

You are deluded if you believe this.

The bible was written by men not by Jesus or any GOD.

It was written by many men. 66 books written by MEN not any GOD over 1600 years.

Men have been proven to be fallible and wrong.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 01:29
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Christians are no more willing to follow the teachings of Jesus than non-Christians - the promise of a "treasure" not withstanding . The vast majority seem quite content to follow the teachings of Paul and others instead. It seems that the Pauline doctrine of "Salvation by grace" has more than a little bit to do with th ...[text shortened]... octrine of "salvation through righteousness". The world would be a much different place.
    I don't belive that Paul even existed.

Prove it!! 😛
  9. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 01:38

Jesus said give all your treasure away, and follow me.

There ain't no treasure.

Unless you're Indiana Jones maybe..............................
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 01:48
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Jesus said give all your treasure away, and follow me.

There ain't no treasure.

Unless you're Indiana Jones maybe..............................
    What do you treasure?
  11. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 01:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    What do you treasure?
    What you got?????
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 12:25

This is not the evangelism forum 😞
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 18:20

If you bothered to engage in debate instead of merely "blogging" whatever thought-for-the-day that happens to be on your mind, you may attract more positive engagement from the forum.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 19:14
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    What you got?????
    All we really have is hope and love. Outside of that the world is a whore house.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 19:191 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If you bothered to engage in debate instead of merely "blogging" whatever thought-for-the-day that happens to be on your mind, you may attract more positive engagement from the forum.
    Look at his posting history. Seems like he's only interested in "spamming" the spirituality forum rather than engaging in discussion. Of late it seems he's started posting the same spam in the general forum as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree