1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 22:38
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Whilst I hate to agree with Red Night, your discarding of his rebuttal is pathetic. There really is no historical evidence that Jesus died and rose again from the dead. There's plenty of weight of belief, sure, but none of that is actually founded on historical evidence, merely on faith. Attacking his posting style and psychology is childish.
    While I hate to agree with Starrman, under the circumstances I guess I have to.
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    It's not necessarily my point to prove the resurrection occurred.

But why it isn't counterfeited is my point.

I think that it may speak volumes.

Let's assume it's true that Jesus was God and that he died and rose from the dead for a moment.
    If it's true, then so would be the rest of the story. That story says we have a common enemy in the person of God.

But just play along with me for a bit.

Why are there no other resurrected Gods?
    What about Tupac? He came back to life. He's a god to many people, and there's a lot of people who saw him wearing sneakers made in the late 90s when he died in 96!

That's conclusive proof in resurrection.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 02:39
    There is no documented historical evidence that any of those people ever died and rose from the dead.
    They weren't people, they were gods. There is essentially the same amount of evidence that their story is as 'true' as that of Jesus...which is to say: "very little".

The birth-death-rebirth allegory is prevalent in ancient mythology. I understand you're convinced that Jesus' story is historical fact, but many people....including some who have spent their academic lives studying the topic...think otherwise.
  4. the highway to hell
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 15:01
    I eluded to this before, but didn't get a satisfactory reply.

How can it be that in all the world only one individual has ever claimed to be God, was killed for it, and rose from the dead?

I've never heard of anyone else in any other religion make such a claim. I think it's rather odd. One would think there would be many copy-cat types of the same thin ...[text shortened]... because it's true no one else can make the same claim. There just wouldn't be enough proof.
    if we are all god's children, what made jesus so special?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Whilst I hate to agree with Red Night, your discarding of his rebuttal is pathetic. There really is no historical evidence that Jesus died and rose again from the dead. There's plenty of weight of belief, sure, but none of that is actually founded on historical evidence, merely on faith. Attacking his posting style and psychology is childish.
    Eh?

"Really no historical evidence"?! You must have missed that one book with all the letters and books in it from people who lived during the time all of this was happening. In that book, there are eyewitness accounts from multiple sources, including reactions from those unsympathetic to 'the cause.'

If you're nice, I'll even tell you the name of the book... but you'll have to promise to protect my source: it's not like we need all kinds of people privy to this hidden information. I, for one, certainly don't need or want my picture on any magazine covers.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 15:28
    Originally posted by eamon o
    if we are all god's children, what made jesus so special?
    We're not; He's not just special, He's the unique Person of the universe. Check Him out!
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 16:17
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Eh?

"Really no historical evidence"?! You must have missed that one book with all the letters and books in it from people who lived during the time all of this was happening. In that book, there are eyewitness accounts from multiple sources, including reactions from those unsympathetic to 'the cause.'

If you're nice, I'll even tell you the name of ...[text shortened]... formation. I, for one, certainly don't need or want my picture on any magazine covers.
    The book you refer to is not a reliable historical source. It has been altered over time by sympathetic supporters.

Also, if you read it carefully you will see that it really doesn't make a very good case for bodily resurrection. Most of the time, when Christ appears to his closest friends and followers, they don't recognize him until he speaks.

How long did he trudge along the road to Emmaus before his uncle recognized him?

I think it is great that you believe. It is a wonderful gift. Treasure it. But, do not confuse your belief with historical accuracy.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:45
    Originally posted by Red Night
    The book you refer to is not a reliable historical source. It has been altered over time by sympathetic supporters.

Also, if you read it carefully you will see that it really doesn't make a very good case for bodily resurrection. Most of the time, when Christ appears to his closest friends and followers, they don't recognize him until he speaks.

Ho ...[text shortened]... is a wonderful gift. Treasure it. But, do not confuse your belief with historical accuracy.
    Apparently you are privy to some mysterious, secret knowledge that others have yet to find. Are you sure you're not pulling a Joseph Smith, perhaps?
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 23:43
    There is no documented historical evidence that any of those people ever died and rose from the dead.
    There must be some documented evidence, no matter how flimsy. But then, it's exactly the same as your religion then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree