1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 17:02
    I eluded to this before, but didn't get a satisfactory reply.

How can it be that in all the world only one individual has ever claimed to be God, was killed for it, and rose from the dead?

I've never heard of anyone else in any other religion make such a claim. I think it's rather odd. One would think there would be many copy-cat types of the same thing.

I think the reason might be because it is true that Jesus actually rose from the dead. But because it's true no one else can make the same claim. There just wouldn't be enough proof.
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 17:20
    Originally posted by josephw

How can it be that in all the world only one individual has ever claimed to be God, was killed for it, and rose from the dead?

I've never heard of anyone else in any other religion make such a claim. I think it's rather odd. One would think there would be many copy-cat types of the same thin ...[text shortened]... because it's true no one else can make the same claim. There just wouldn't be enough proof.
    There are many people claiming to be God or Jesus... i have one living down the road from me...he sleeps in his garden in a tent and eats leaves and says he is Jesus... there is no proof but he believes it... i dont think we will ever get the proof we need to show Atheists.... i feel God does not need to prove anything as he is God why should he and to US... mere mortals that he created...how dare us question him.... also the amount of closed negativity from Atheists makes it hard for God to get through to...he uses the Theists to try and explain but as has been proven time and time again... Atheists wont and refuse to listen!!!!
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 17:59
    Wait, so, you're saying that the fact that only one person ever claimed to be God, and was killed for it, and supposedly rose from the dead... is somehow evidence that his claim was true? Is that the argument here?

There have been lots of profits who made claims similar to those of Jesus. The Romans and other poweful groups killed lots of people for being religious heretics or questioning the status quo of the time. And there are many stories of physical resurrection in many different cultures. But even if there weren't - even if the claims made about Jesus were totally unique - that alone would still not be evidence that they were true.
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 19:19

I've never heard of anyone else in any other religion make such a claim. I think it's rather odd. One would think there would be many copy-cat types of the same thin ...[text shortened]... because it's true no one else can make the same claim. There just wouldn't be enough proof.
    What makes your belief right & others wrong?
    At the end of the day Christianity is no more likely to be the "true path" than, say, Shintoism which has multiple Gods & a super-Godess called Amaterasu.

Why should I take your word for things when the Japs could be right on the money for all I know?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 19:221 edit

You "eluded" to it? Perhaps you didn't receive a satisfactory reply because you were being too elusive.

I think the reason might be because it is true that Jesus actually rose from the dead. But because it's true no one else can make the same claim. There just wouldn't be enough proof.

This is the worst argument I have seen in a while -- rivalled only by the terribleness of your argument in the "Atheism is insane" thread where you simply make appeals to consequences. Just awful.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 19:29
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Just awful.
    I'm reminded of the Office Space scene where Tom gives his idea about the Jump to Conclusions mat, and Samir just returns a look of utter disgust
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 19:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I'm reminded of the Office Space scene where Tom gives his idea about the Jump to Conclusions mat, and Samir just returns a look of utter disgust
    Yeah, that's about right. Samir's response didn't dissuade Smykowski from going on to make his prototype mat, and somehow I don't think I'll make much impact on josephw, either. One of the truly great movies, btw.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 19:462 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    This is the worst argument I have seen in a while -- rivalled only by the terribleness of your argument in the "Atheism is insane" thread where you simply make appeals to consequences. Just awful.
    Worse yet, it isn't even original. (I know you're shocked.)
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 20:39

Osiris
    Dionysus
    Tammuz
    Adonis
    Caesar Augustus
    Appolonius of Tyana
    Mani
    Socrates

The list goes on and on and on.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 20:40
    Originally posted by darthmix
    Wait, so, you're saying that the fact that only one person ever claimed to be God, and was killed for it, and supposedly rose from the dead... is somehow evidence that his claim was true? Is that the argument here?

There have been lots of profits who made claims similar to those of Jesus. The Romans and other poweful groups killed lots of p ...[text shortened]... Jesus were totally unique - that alone would still not be evidence that they were true.
    The word is ... prophet
  11. The sky
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 20:44
    Originally posted by telerion
    Worse yet, it isn't even original. (I know you're shocked.)
    Darn, you just destroyed my faith. I was thinking:

How can it be that in all the world only one individual has ever made that completely illogical argument?

I've never heard of anyone else in any other religion make such a claim. I think it's rather odd. One would think there would be many copy-cat types of the same thing.

I think the reason might be because the argument is true despite being completely illogical. But because it's true no one else can make the same claim. There just wouldn't be enough proof.

--

And then you came along and said that it's not original, and all my illogic didn't work anymore. 🙁
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 20:51
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    There are many people claiming to be God or Jesus... i have one living down the road from me...he sleeps in his garden in a tent and eats leaves and says he is Jesus... there is no proof but he believes it... i dont think we will ever get the proof we need to show Atheists.... i feel God does not need to prove anything as he is God why should he and to US.. ...[text shortened]... and explain but as has been proven time and time again... Atheists wont and refuse to listen!!!!
    Not the same thing. We're talking world wide publishing of an historical event.

I knew someone that legally changed his name to Jesus Christ. I saw his drivers licence. It didn't make THE Jesus.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 20:55
    Not the same thing. We're talking world wide publishing of an historical event.

I knew someone that legally changed his name to Jesus Christ. I saw his drivers licence. It didn't make THE Jesus.
    World wide publishing, decades after the event.
    It'd be like me writing about the construction of the Berlin Wall.

I wasn't actually there, but I heard a lot about it ...
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Osiris
    Dionysus
    Tammuz
    Adonis
    Caesar Augustus
    Appolonius of Tyana
    Mani
    Socrates

The list goes on and on and on.
    There is no documented historical evidence that any of those people ever died and rose from the dead.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves

I knew someone that legally changed his name to Jesus Christ. I saw his drivers licence. I
    Liar

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree