1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 11:27
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/us/pat-robertson-facebook-remark/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

He is one creepy dude. It wouldn't be so bad if he was just a Hyde park soap box preacher but he has millions of fellow duped followers.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 12:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/09/us/pat-robertson-facebook-remark/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

He is one creepy dude. It wouldn't be so bad if he was just a Hyde park soap box preacher but he has millions of fellow duped followers.
    This character's lack of civility and hypersensitivity to himself give the human
    race a bad name, no matter what his real or imagined cause may be. Pitiful.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 14:05

yes, because if it weren't for religion he would have been a stand up guy and not creepy at all. he couldn't have found something else to be creepy about.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 14:39
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes, because if it weren't for religion he would have been a stand up guy and not creepy at all. he couldn't have found something else to be creepy about.
    No, because if we didn't have religion, he wouldn't have any followers.
    You can be the most terrible human being, but if you say "praise God" every now and then, other religious people will cut you some slack and may even let you get away with great evils that they would not grant an irreligious person.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 16:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You can be the most terrible human being, but if you say "praise God" every now and then, other religious people will cut you some slack and may even let you get away with great evils that they would not grant an irreligious person.
    I would clarify by saying that any irrational belief system can have that effect,
    it need not be religious.

Religions however are especially adept and well suited for it.

Particularly with their emphasis of "knowledge by authority" and "Faith" which
    dampens and destroys critical thinking and silences dissenting voices.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 18:10
    So you have to be religious to have followers do you?
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Jul '13 23:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So you have to be religious to have followers do you?
    Fair point, but the difference between religious zealots and the likes of (at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law) Hitler and such is that to be the former with a crap-load of followers you don't need to be a cult of personality and in a position of unquestionable power. Some arbitrary declaration that "G"od hates X, with no further justification, is usually sufficient to rally the masses into hating X also.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jul '13 00:17

I don't see him as creepy, I see him as honest and brave, knowing the flack he would receive. I don't totally agree with him, but I just think he is frustrated at the sin he sees around him on a daily basis.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '13 05:12

Washington (CNN) -- Televangelist Pat Robertson wishes Facebook had a 'vomit' button. So that he could click on it every time he came across a photograph of a gay couple kissing.

Robertson who has repeatedly made clear his disapproval of homosexuality, made the latest comments Monday in response to a question he fielded from a viewer on his Christian Broadcasting Network show "The 700 Club."

The viewer wanted to know how to address images of same-sex couples on social media sites, such as Facebook.

You've got a couple of same-sex guys kissing, do you like that? Well that makes me want to throw up," he said.

"To me I would punch 'Vomit;' not 'Like,'" he added.

"But they don't give you that option on Facebook."

The Instructor
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '13 08:03
    dude, politicians have followers. hitler had followers and not because of religion.

"may even let you get away with great evils that they would not grant an irreligious person."
    dr dre and chris brown each beat up a woman and none were even sorry. kanye is a giant douche. they all still have their followers.

a charismatic psychopath will find a way to get people to follow him. religion is a tool but hardly the only one. those who pervert religion in this way would have found another way if they didn't have religion
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '13 08:17
    dude, politicians have followers. hitler had followers and not because of religion.

"may even let you get away with great evils that they would not grant an irreligious person."
    dr dre and chris brown each beat up a woman and none were even sorry. kanye is a giant douche. they all still have their followers.

a charismatic psychopath will find ...[text shortened]... se who pervert religion in this way would have found another way if they didn't have religion
    Good point. There are a lot of music idols like Elvis Presley and the Beetles that had their following. Then there are the Movie entertainment idols too. However, outside of politicians like Hitler, the religious cult leaders seem to do more harm.

The Instructor
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '13 17:011 edit

a charismatic psychopath will find ...[text shortened]... se who pervert religion in this way would have found another way if they didn't have religion
    So the key is to make smarter humans less susceptible to such manipulations.

I wonder if that would make religions go away?

Looks like it would at least make dictatorships less likely.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 05:45
    So the key is to make smarter humans less susceptible to such manipulations.

I wonder if that would make religions go away?

Looks like it would at least make dictatorships less likely.
    I think you need to get saved. Then you too would be happy and saying...

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 08:51
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Fair point, but the difference between religious zealots and the likes of (at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law) Hitler and such is that to be the former with a crap-load of followers you don't need to be a cult of personality and in a position of unquestionable power. Some arbitrary declaration that "G"od hates X, with no further justification, is usually sufficient to rally the masses into hating X also.
    I think the silly use of Hitler in defence of an obvious fallacy is compounded by your inference that people followed him because he was religious.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '13 19:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think you need to get saved. Then you too would be happy and saying...

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor
    Yes, I am SO afraid of hell. HELP ME LARD HELP ME.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree