1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 May '12 21:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You are right that complete details do not seem to be there in Genesis to say conclusively that the days are 24 hour days. But from a simple reading of the text, it seems that 24 hour days is what is meant because the week Moses established for Israel consists of 7 (24 hour) days and the seventh day is used as a day of rest from work to remember that God's ...[text shortened]... s the Holy Bible. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!

http://rcg.org/questions/p193.a.html
    A point that you are still missing and it's a really big one is what I quoted earlier on what Paul said and that is "we are still in the 7th day" which is God's rest day. (Heb 4:1-11)

Adam and Eve's creation was at the end of the 6th creative day. The 7th started right as that 6th day ended.
    Also, were Adam and Eve only on the earth for 24 hours after God created them? No of course not as the Bible clearly says Adam was by himself for an extended period of time to do many things, such as naming all the animals before Eve was ever created. Could Adam do that tremendous work in just a few hours??????
    So...if one were to really think this out logically, there is no way none of the creative days would be a 24 hour period. If that were true God's rest day would have been over more then 6 thousand years ago, but according to Paul, we are still in that 7th day.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 May '12 21:55
    The point is that if we present God's word to someone it will have some effect on them. Whether it will soften or harden their hearts, we can not know. Is that the meaning you get from that verse?
    Yes, something like that. The words of the Holy Bible are fertile and powerful. They are not to be toyed with.

I think it is also like radiation. It does a work deep within one's being. It is not always a positive outcome. But agreeing or disagreeing with it may not be the most important factor of the effect it may have on the human heart.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 May '12 22:00
    Well, if you can show me from the Holy Bible that my understanding is wrong, then I think I would be humble enough to change my view.
    I think humility all around would do us all good. I know I need to humble myself constantly. The longer one is a Bible student it seems the more there is the need to humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God.

I also have to open to some possibilties. I think it is a mistake to take Genesis as a exhaustive scientific account of how God did these things.

At the same time I am reluctant to charge it with error. I am reading right now about the Revelatory Interpretation.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 May '12 22:52
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I think it is a mistake to take Genesis as a exhaustive scientific account of how God did these things.
    Baby steps. 🙂
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '12 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    A point that you are still missing and it's a really big one is what I quoted earlier on what Paul said and that is "we are still in the 7th day" which is God's rest day. (Heb 4:1-11)

Adam and Eve's creation was at the end of the 6th creative day. The 7th started right as that 6th day ended.
    Also, were Adam and Eve only on the earth for 24 hours af over more then 6 thousand years ago, but according to Paul, we are still in that 7th day.
    I do not see anywhere that it says we are still in the 7th day after creation. He is speaking of another day and not the actual 1st Sabbath rest day. He goes on to say the following:

For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

(Hebrews 4:8-9 NKJV)

There is another day in the future that the people of God will enter into rest with God. Don't forget what Christ said, after He was said to have not kept the Sabbath because He healed a sick man:

For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”

(John 5:16-17 NKJV)
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 May '12 02:271 edit
    I do not see anywhere that it says we are still in the 7th day after creation. He is speaking of [b]another day and not the actual 1st Sabbath rest day. He goes on to say the following:

For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

(Hebrews m, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.” [/b]

(John 5:16-17 NKJV)[/b]
    So only us humans are in the rest day? So why do you work or do anything that goes against the sabbath?

Anyway in the mind of "RJH" when did God have his sabbath day rest? If you can come up with a scripture to show that it would be wonderful....
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '12 02:44
    So only us humans are in the rest day? So why do you work or do anything that goes against the sabbath?

Anyway in the mind of "RJH" when did God have his sabbath day rest? If you can come up with a scripture to show that it would be wonderful....
    Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

(Genesis 2:1-3 NKJV)
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 May '12 03:101 edit
    Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

(Genesis 2:1-3 NKJV)
    "And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done."

If you notice at the end of the 6 creative days it mentions that "each day had ended".
    No where does it say here that the 7th day has ended.

Your not catching these points at all.

And...you didn't answer my last question. If we are in that sabbath rest day, do you work or do the things that Christains are not to do in observance of the sabbath?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '12 04:041 edit
    "And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done."

If you notice at the end of the 6 creative days it mentions that "each day had ended".
    No where does it say here that the 7th day has ended.

Your not catching these points at all.

And...you didn't answer my l ...[text shortened]... y, do you work or do the things that Christains are not to do in observance of the sabbath?
    You are wrong. It does not say the day had ended. It states what God did and then it says, "So the evening and the morning were the first day." This implies that the day was complete. It continues this pattern until God has completed his work then it says, "So the evening and the morning were the sixth day." It does not actually say each of these days ended, but it implies that they are.

Now there is no need to continue this same pattern for the seventh day because there was no work to describe that was done on that day. So it just begins with the statement that the work had ended and God rested on the seventh day from all His work. The implication is that God rested all day until the seventh day was complete because God sanctified that day at the end. Look at what it says again:

Notice it said "He rested" - past tense. He is not continuing to rest as Christ pointed out.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 May '12 04:18
    You are wrong. It does not say the day had ended. It states what God did and then it says, "So the evening and the morning were the first day." This implies that the day was complete. It continues this pattern until God has completed his work then it says, "So the evening and the morning were the sixth day." It does not actually say each of these days e ...[text shortened]... said [b]"He rested" - past tense. He is not continuing to rest as Christ pointed out.[/b]
    So if he is not resting but we are, how does that work? And if he is not resting, what is he doing?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '12 04:36
    So if he is not resting but we are, how does that work? And if he is not resting, what is he doing?
    I'm retired. I don't know about you. You should be able to figure out how it works for you. Christ only said, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.” I don't believe He tells us what the work is. Maybe He is working on a surprise for us. It is your turn to speculate.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 May '12 13:338 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Baby steps. 🙂
    Without you elaborating on the phrase "Baby Steps" I am not sure what you mean.

May I always be as a "new born babe" desiring the pure milk of the word of God as the Apostle Peter exhorted - "As newborn babes, long for the guileless milk of the word in order that by it you may grow." ( 1 Peter 2:2)

I hope I NEVER lose that longing for the pure, guileless nourishing sustenance of the word of God, which none of man's wisdom can impart.

I wish that I could honestly say that you have written something on this Forum that presented some substantial spiritual maturity that I could look up to. There are plenty of such people. But sadly, I can't count you as among them.

I am not sure you have even gotten born into the spiritual life yet let alone having progress in any maturity.

It is good that you can digest arguments from a philosopher like Alvin Plantingo. Please do not think that this impresses some of us with any spiritual maturity. The Apostle Paul told the philosophical minded in the church in Corinth that they were "babes in Christ".

They may have mulled over Greek philosophers' debates. But spiritually Paul informed them of their infantile situation.

On the other hand Christ said we all have to be as little children or else we would not even enter into the kingdom of God. So I am quite happy to have the trusting attitude towards my heavenly Father as a "baby steps".

There is a child like trust that Christ warns each of us should have towards the Gospel -

" And He called a little child to Him and stood him in their midst and said, Truly I say to you, Unless you turn and become like little children, you shall by no means enter into the kingdom of the heavens.

He therefore who will humble himself like this little child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of the heavens.

And whoever receives one such little child because of My name, receives Me;

And whoever stumbles one of these little ones who believe into Me, it is more profitable for him that a great millstone be hung arund his neck and he be drowned in the open sea." (Matthew 18:2-6)

Some important points I derive from this passage:

1.) We must humble ourselves as a little child to enter the kingdom.

2.) Once we enter we must continue with the trusting attitude of a little child to be deemed greatest in the kingdom.

3.) If God sends a little child to you with the Gospel truth you better not reject the message. Even if it comes from a child far below you in age, you better humbly receive the truth. God will count your receiving the truth from a child equivalent to you receiving Christ.

4.) If you like to damage the faith of Christians you better be careful. If for instance you cause some child Christian to "stumble" in faith you better seek God for forgiveness.

It would be better for you to have had a millstone tied around your neck and be thrown into the open sea. The offending of the faith of even a little child could put you in danger of agonizing retribution at the hands of God. So be careful.

If you have children SwissGambit, look at them tonight and consider " Do I want to stumble these little ones from believing in Jesus Christ ?"
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 May '12 13:48
    Without you elaborating on the phrase "Baby Steps" I am not sure what you mean.

May I always be as a [b]"new born babe"
    desiring the pure milk of the word of God as the Apostle Peter exhorted - "As newborn babes, long for the guileless milk of the word in order that by it you may grow." ( 1 Peter 2:2)

I hope I NEVER lose that longing f ...[text shortened]... er " Do I want to stumble these little ones from believing in Jesus Christ ?"[/b]
    This could imply that it is not only a literal child who has the protection afforded by these threats of divine retaliation against any who would stumble them. All those who heed the advice to humble themselves "as a little child" to enter the kingdom, will gain such protection. As an added bonus, those who, having entered it, continue with the trusting attitude of a little child, will be deemed greatest in the kingdom. Is this non-literal meaning agreeable with scripture?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '12 13:55
    If you have children SwissGambit, look at them tonight and consider " Do I want to stumble these little ones from believing in Jesus Christ ?"
    This reminds me just a little of Dasa accusing people, who don't teach their sons and daughters that his belief system is the only "true" one, of being "child abusers".
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 May '12 14:01
    Originally posted by JS357
    This could imply that it is not only a literal child who has the protection afforded by these threats of divine retaliation against any who would stumble them. All those who heed the advice to humble themselves "as a little child" to enter the kingdom, will gain such protection. As an added bonus, those who, having entered it, continue with the trusting attitu ...[text shortened]... will be deemed greatest in the kingdom. Is this non-literal meaning agreeable with scripture?
    I agree that the passage can be applicable to "adult" children. It is safe to stretch the meaning further. It certainly cannot hurt.

God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.
    God resists the proud.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree