1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 03:361 edit
    Originally posted by boonon
    The part about an atheistic mind set being foreign to their culture is something I had not thought of.
    I'd have thought the same would have been true, more or less, across Europe (for instance) centuries ago, and even up to relatively recently (a few generations ago, maybe) when religion and religiosity (and the way all the assumptions and perceptions attendant thereto acted to bind communities and even whole societies together) started to weaken.

The atheist in Sumatera was being bullied by theist colleagues at work and they were monitoring his FB activity. And they pounced when he put a declaration about there being no God on his FB "wall". His colleagues were bullying him because they saw him as an anti-social oddball with offensive apostate ideas.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 04:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was just having an Easter Sunday cup of tea with the local 'community chief' and there was data from 2012 on his wall about the little sub-sub-district that is his civic domain:

Budha [Buddhist]........2
    Hindu [Hindu]..............5
    Islam [Muslim].........223
    Katolik [Catholic].......73
    Kristen [Protestant]..33

If there are any atheists in my neighbourh ...[text shortened]... .

What would be the breakdown of adherents to the various religions in your "neighbourhood"?
    Neighborhoods in All Fifty Two States for Your Perusal and Edification:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/08/most-and-least-christian-cities_n_1915050.html

Simply, right scroll >
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 04:43
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Neighborhoods in All Fifty Two States for Your Perusal and Edification
    This is not what really interests me and not what the OP asked for:

"Have a think about the 350 or so people that live nearest to you. What would be the breakdown of adherents to the various religions in your "neighbourhood"?"
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 04:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd have thought the same would have been true, more or less, across Europe (for instance) centuries ago, and even up to relatively recently (a few generations ago, maybe) when religion and religiosity (and the way all the assumptions and perceptions attendant thereto acted to bind communities and even whole societies together) started to weaken.

The atheist ...[text shortened]... re bullying him because they saw him as an anti-social oddball with offensive apostate ideas.
    I think the difference being that " across Europe (for instance) centuries ago, and even up to relatively recently (a few generations ago, maybe) " they tended to be at least as intolerant of other religions as they were of the non religious, but to accept your neighbour even though they follow a false god and reject (your) true god whilst being intolerant of the position of following no god does seem a bit counter intuitive/odd.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 04:581 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is not what really interests me and not what the OP asked for:

"Have a think about the 350 or so people that live nearest to you. What would be the breakdown of adherents to the various religions in your "neighbourhood"?"
    I would have to say 20% devoutish christians, 50% hereditary but lasped christians (these two groups could be split 50/50 between catholic and protestant sects), and 20% atheist, or pagan, with 10% mix of Hindu's, Muslims, and others.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 05:071 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I think the difference being that " across Europe (for instance) centuries ago, and even up to relatively recently (a few generations ago, maybe) " they tended to be at least as intolerant of other religions as they were of the non religious, but to accept your neighbour even though they follow a false god and reject (your) true god whilst being intolerant of the position of following no god does seem a bit counter intuitive/odd.
    I think a lot of people here would feel that having no religious beliefs is "counter intuitive/odd" in so far as the belief in there being one God (which is cited as a core 'belief' of the nation and its citizens in the 1945 constitution) is natural, normal, necessary, self-evident etc. So "following no god" would set one apart from the society and the culture, which is instead stitched together by the monotheism that people have in common rather than disunited by people "rejecting" each others particular monotheistic religionist package.
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    01 Apr '13 09:444 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    A muslim lady gave me a pair of shoes the other day busking. She was nice, but reminded me how quiet and non-existent the Muslim community seemed.

I would really be guessing at the breakdown, so I'll decline.
    if you need any money? i can help! with vouchers me mom works for the red cross. and thats what its all about helping those more in need
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 08:25
    Originally posted by tim88
    if you need any money? i can help! with vouchers me mom works for the red cross. and thats what its all about helping those more in need
    Oh that's a really nice thought, but I am not needy by any means.

I was just wearing my old crappy , holey shoes that day.

Thing is, I get a lot of people coming upto me and asking how it is on the streets,etc. when I don't live on the streets or really have anything that I want or need that I can't get (eventually🙂 )
    So hold onto those vouchers , etc. for those who really need it.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 14:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think a lot of people here would feel that having no religious beliefs is "counter intuitive/odd" in so far as the belief in there being one God (which is cited as a core 'belief' of the nation and its citizens in the 1945 constitution) is natural, normal, necessary, self-evident etc. So "following no god" would set one apart from the society and the culture, ...[text shortened]... disunited by people "rejecting" each others particular monotheistic religionist package.
    So we have learned that counter intuitiveness / oddness is culturally relative.
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 02:491 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    If there are any atheists in my neighbourhood, they did not declare themselves as such, it being a not particularly wise thing to do
    You don't know of any Atheists in your neighborhood? Therefore, you are saying that EVERYONE you know in your neighborhood is a believer in God? Wow. That's pretty cool.

Why is it not wise to declare yourself as Atheist in your neighborhood? Are you saying that doing so would bring harm to you? Do you declare yourself as Atheist, or, do you claim some kind of religious belief just to be safe?

How do you know, and what proof do you have to support your claim that saying you're Atheist in your neighborhood is dangerous?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree