Zen again...

Zen again...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
06 Apr 06

Originally posted by Mister Meaner
(Nicely put by the way)

So where does that leave us? What happens after? To return to my original question: What is the point of Enlightenment? (I don't mean this in a negative "why bother" way. Neither do I buy pie in sky when you die)
So where does that leave us? What happens after?

Strictly speaking, nothing happens after awakening. Life simply goes on. There is just a decreased (or non-existent, depending on how deep the "satori" was) sense of any sort of "doer" within oneself who is "doing" things. In the words of the Buddha...

"Events happen
Deeds are done
But there is no individual doer thereof."

Another way of thinking of that, is that there is less and less resistance within oneself to the movement of life. Or as Kabir put it,

"The fish in the ocean
Is not thirsty."

To return to my original question: What is the point of Enlightenment? (I don't mean this in a negative "why bother" way. Neither do I buy pie in sky when you die)

I could offer several answers to that one, but the deepest one I'm aware of is that ultimately, there is no point to enlightenment itself. And yet, that doesn't mean that it is without meaning. On the contrary, it's profoundly meaningful, the ultimate realization of the human condition. But because it is "ultimate" by definition, it only blossoms in those who are finished with worldly ambitions. As such, it is not a purposeful matter, but rather the natural end result of one who has tired of illusions and seeks the truth of who they really are.

To say that "realizing my true nature" has a "point" to it actually minimizes the whole thing in a way as to be kind of absurd. Enlightenment is nothing special precisely because it is simply the recognition of who we really are.

The spiritual path itself, however, does have a point, and that point is to recognize the false as the false. So all meditation practice boils down to familiarizing oneself with one's mind so that one can begin to see one's falseness, one's unconsciousness, and one's ego. This is why it takes great resolve and courage to walk such a path, because in the end it is so profoundly humbling. And this is true for everyone, more or less.

Once the false is seen as the false, and the delusions of the mind are recognized, then what's left over is our natural state. That is enlightenment.

M

Moves
06 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by widget
Strangely enough, you're very close to the truth 😀 Glimpses of nirvana everywhere you go!

😉 Since I'm not at work today, I'm gardening. In and out of the yard for a break now and then 😛

I have a big pile of leaves burning in the backyard, the crocuses are just about finished, rhodedendrons all budded out and ready to open and the magnolia is in f ) With any luck I'll be able to find an appropriate bottle of wine in my cellar. Cheers!
Shades of Henry David Thoreau. Suits you better than Woody Allen. 🙂

J

Moves
06 Apr 06

Originally posted by widget
YourSELF is the wall that you've built to keep the world out. 😉 So many bricks, each one cemented into place by illusion. 😕 Eventually, of course, you can't see anything beyond that wall. 😞 Safe, now?

Despite this precaution, you, too, will die. 😲 You're dying already. Relax. Live in this moment 😉
HEY!
If you can keep your illusion of dying then I can keep my illusion of mySELF!😀

Been there...

... done that

Moves
06 Apr 06

You expect to live forever in some flea-bag heaven? 😉 Perhaps you are already there. 🙄

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Metamorphosis
Either way, I'd recommend Buddhism for you. Not just because Buddhism is almost purely rational at heart and not really a religion (it's more a study of the mind), but also because of your namesake, Basho's frog. 😏
actually I'm a tad on the Gnostic side and see Christ and Buddha as being close to the source of knowlege (Tao if you must).
However, I'm a simple stompper of frogs so I don't know too much except how to lift my foot.

edit--- and how to put it back down again.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Apr 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
actually I'm a tad on the Gnostic side and see Christ and Buddha as being close to the source of knowlege (Tao if you must).
However, I'm a simple stompper of frogs so I don't know too much except how to lift my foot.

And what is that reaction prompted by, exactly: reflex motility?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
And what is that reaction prompted by, exactly: reflex motility?
become a frog and find out.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Apr 06

become a frog and find out.
Is there a split second of clarity prior to the final reckoning? Otherwise, it wouldn't seem a desirable position to hold. Too, does one kiss the artist formerly known as Prince to become a frog?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 Apr 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Is there a split second of clarity prior to the final reckoning? Otherwise, it wouldn't seem a desirable position to hold. Too, does one kiss the artist formerly known as Prince to become a frog?
I don't know, and since I'm a simple frog stomper , with no inclination to help you find out how to become a frog, you must seek your gnosis elsewhere.

M

Moves
08 Apr 06

What is the sound of one boot stomping?

(Your enlightenment may depend on the answer).

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Apr 06

I believe it goes a sumpin' like this:

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
10 Apr 06

Splash!!! , if it stomps in water

g

Moves
10 Apr 06
2 edits

Splash!!! , if it stomps in water
In the stillness of the night at the pond.....it is quiet and peaceful, that "SPLASH!!!" can fill the universe!

gil

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
10 Apr 06

btw if it land on a frog , the sound is "SQUISH!!!"

M

Moves
10 Apr 06

btw if it land on a frog , the sound is "SQUISH!!!"
Incorrect. Return to your Zendo cushion and meditate harder. Remember to fix your inner gaze on the frog within. Then WAIT. Should your focus be sufficient, the frog will erupt in the flatulating sound of enlightenment. Ribbit, ribbit, ribbit...I gittit, I gittit, I gittit...

That is all for now, Grasshopper.