1. Not Kansas
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:32
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Do you experience a quiet place between thoughts?
    Don't you?
  2. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:34
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Don't you?
    No. My mind is like a coke rat on a treadmill.
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:39
    KneverKnight, I'll ask you.

In order to become a master of Zen, did Ryokan practice meditation?

If so, what for?

4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:46
    KneverKnight, I'll ask you.

In order to become a master of Zen, did Ryokan practice meditation?

If so, what for?

I think the point of this was to stop striving to become and learn how to let one's natural self (space between the thoughts) emerge. Tricky.
    I don't know if Ryokan "practiced" meditation, but he probably did meditate.
    I'm not all that well-versed in these things though.
  5. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:50
    I think the point of this was to stop striving to become and learn how to let one's natural self (space between the thoughts) emerge. Tricky.
    How does one learn to stop striving without a method (meditation)?

If I didn't practice meditation my mind would be like a breeding lab full on a picnic.
  6. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:51
    What's in the space between thoughts?
  7. Not Kansas
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 16:58
    How does one learn to stop striving without a method (meditation)?

If I didn't practice meditation my mind would be like a breeding lab full on a picnic.
    Stop practising; perform!
    Sorry, just getting into the spirit here.
    If you are interested in meditation, a good place to start is with "breathing exercises" Just pick a quiet time, get comfy and focus your mind on observing how your body breathes. Just let it happen without trying to interfere. If you hear a noise from outside, just let it pass without judging it.
    But I've said too much, others can help you more than I, eg there are probably resources for this online.
  8. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:031 edit
    Stop practising; perform!
    Sorry, just getting into the spirit here.
    If you are interested in meditation, a good place to start is with "breathing exercises" Just pick a quiet time, get comfy and focus your mind on observing how y ...[text shortened]... ou more than I, eg there are probably resources for this online.
    I'm confused - what is the difference between practicing meditation and 'performing'?

If meditation has no causal relationship with enlightenment, why do teachers instruct in its usage?

I'm as thick as Dogen's brick, t'would seem.
  9. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:16
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Splash
    That devil's pitch fork pricked a hole open in Ryokan's dingy and he fell into the water with a great splash only to discover that he could walk on the water because the gas from all the fish he ate gave him sufficient intertial-repulsive force.
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:19
    That's pretty much it....with one refinement, I'd say -- that being that there is no "self to emerge" from the space between thoughts that is separate from who you recognize yourself to be. What the essence of the enlightenment experience is, is that our very identity is consciousness itself. Delusion occurs when we identify with thoughts and come to believe that we are our thoughts.
  11. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:24
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    Delusion occurs when we identify with thoughts and come to believe that we are our thoughts.
    I don't believe I am my thoughts but it hasn't alleviated my everyday confusion.
  12. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:25
    I'm confused - what is the difference between practicing mediation and 'performing'?

If meditation has no causal relationship with enlightenment, why do teachers instruct in its usage?

I'm as thick as Dogen's brick, t'would seem.
    Why meditate if our natural state already is?

That's the perennial question, and the very heart of the enlightenment paradox.

1. Nothing can be "done" to bring it about, as consciousness is already the case.

2. However -- and this is crucial -- it's not true that we should "do nothing", because if we do, then the ego is simply hijacking the process and utilizing the "need do nothing" idea as a justification for staying asleep.

3. So yes, we must practice...until we realize that our essential nature is already whole and complete. Practice can be compared to "dusting" the mirror of our consciousness. The mirror is already there, perfect in itself. But meditating or observing the mind is equivalent to "dusting", keeping the accumulations of daily thoughts from obscuring the realization of our natural state.

So in the Ryokan parable, he was instructing an advanced student who was ready to go beyond practice and enter into the ultimate practice, which is ongoing awareness of this moment. And in the parable the student in fact had a "satori" (sudden awakening) after Ryokan's words to him.
  13. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:29
    I don't believe I am my thoughts but it hasn't alleviated my everyday confusion.
    I'd say that "not believing" that we are our thoughts is a good foundation but not enough in itself, because this needs to go beyond "belief" into the domain of direct experience. Hence the need for practice...
  14. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:30
    So in the Ryokan parable, he was instructing an advanced student who was ready to go beyond practice and enter into the ultimate practice, which is ongoing awareness of this moment. And in the parable the student in fact had a "satori" (sudden awakening) after Ryokan's words to him.
    Then there is a causal relationship between meditation practice and enlightenment that just wasn't apparent in the story before.

Thank you.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Apr '05 18:33
    That devil's pitch fork pricked a hole open in Ryokan's dingy and he fell into the water with a great splash only to discover that he could walk on the water because the gas from all the fish he ate gave him sufficient intertial-repulsive force.
    the devil laughed , good spiritedly, as he watched and heard Ryokan being jet-propulsed willy-nilly over the lake like an untied balloon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree