1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    08 May '05 17:23
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    "Seeing directly" is the basis of meditation. It is the interiorization of consciousness, back in upon itself.

Most of the time, our awareness, our consciousness, is trained upon the objects of the world. These "objects" may be tangible -- physical reality -- or they may be conceptual, as in ideas. To meditate in the deepest sense is to focus o ...[text shortened]... ation of a meditation mindset, as opposed to some moral law that one simply pays lip service to.
    I like " I think : therefore I think I am"
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    09 May '05 03:27
    "Seeing directly" is the basis of meditation. It is the interiorization of consciousness, back in upon itself.

Most of the time, our awareness, our consciousness, is trained upon the objects of the world. These "objects" may be tangible -- physical reality -- or they may be conceptual, as in ideas. To meditate in the deepest sense is to focus o ...[text shortened]... ation of a meditation mindset, as opposed to some moral law that one simply pays lip service to.
    I come to this thread for a dose of sanity-thanks.
  3. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 May '05 04:36
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Thanks very much for your extended answer.

Do you see any simularities with Roman-Catholic teachings regarding the issues you mentioned ?
    Ivanhoe, there are a number of striking parallels between the lives of Buddha and Jesus, which have already been documented in several scholarly books. But the respective traditions that have born their names, Buddhism and Christianity, have differences that cannot really be reconciled, that is, without resorting to elastic-band diplomacy.

The Dalai Lama (the "pope" of Tibetan Buddhism), being an irrepressible optimist, has tried on a number of occasions to seek out the parallels between his tradition and Christianity, and has held many high level meetings and scholarly discussions with Christian authorities. Some of these talks have been compiled into a book called "The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus". The book basically acknowledges Jesus' teachings without dwelling on the Messianic angle.

My own interest is not longer along the lines of any particular tradition. I received Buddhist initiations many years ago but am no longer affiliated with the tradition, or any organized tradition. That's because I came to see that truth must be discovered from within, by being authentically who we are, that is, by uncovering our own deepest and maximum spiritual potential.

Christ uncovered his spiritual potential, and claimed it as such. I do not believe he was saying that others would have to enter into truth via his form. I believe he was pointing to the idea that what he represented was the universal truth or potential that is the birthright of everyone. As such, anyone can uncover or discover that eternal potential, regardless of whether or not they have heard of Jesus.

Buddha taught that as well, but the tradition that transmitted his teachings over the centuries, Buddhism, became less entangled with politics than did Christianity, and thus had no need to turn Buddha into a God. The "buddha-mind" is the awakened or enlightened condition, our spiritual potential, and not the sole copyright of Siddartha Gautama Buddha. Similarly, the "Christ within" is the same spiritual potential, simply going by a different name or lable.

In the famous source book of Taoism, the "Tao Te Ching", the author Lao Tzu says, "the name that can be named, is not the true Name."

This means that any conceptual designation given to ultimate truth is going to be but a finger pointing toward the Moon, as in the Zen parable. The "finger" represents a particular pathway to truth (via Christ, or via Buddha, etc.). The "Moon" symbolizes this ultimate truth. The finger is not to be worshipped or clung to. It's to be used as a pointer toward truth. But we ourselves have to make the journey. And this is why I believe that all religious traditions and pathways on our personal spiritual journey must ultimately be let go of. We enter into truth empty-handed, not armed with books and teachings and symbols of truth. This is because truth is beyond all form or symbol of such. It is the bare, formless essence of what we are. The Taoists call this the "Tao", the Buddhists call it "shunyata", the Christian calls it "Christ" or "God", but in the end it is a direct experience that is free of all illusion.

To be "free of illusion" is to simply see and recognize the truth, which is grounded in present-time reality. Anything else is a creation of abstract thought, and elaborate fantasies of the mind. The main block that keeps us from recognizing the wholeness and completeness of this moment is the mind convincing us that this moment is somehow lacking something. This is because we are dwelling in time, either lamenting something about the past, or constantly anticipating the future. People can, and often do, spend their whole lives lamenting the past or anticipating the future, and thus never noticing the infinity that is inherent to this moment.

The "second coming of Christ" is, I believe, a symbolic teaching about turning within to recognize the fullness of this moment. To be "reborn" or "resurrected in Christ" is to reawaken to one's full spiritual potential, here and now, not in some future fantasy heaven. This is also what Buddha taught, not to waste a precious human incarnation, that enlightenment -- which, stripped of all religious trappings, means the same thing as resurrection or rebirth -- is an intrinsic aspect of this moment, available to any who are genuinely tired of conventional human striving and suffering.
  4. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 May '05 04:41
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I like " I think : therefore I think I am"
    Or, "I thought I was, therefore, I might be, however, regardless of all that, I simply am." 😏
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 May '05 04:49
    Ivanhoe, there are a number of striking parallels between the lives of Buddha and Jesus, which have already been documented in several scholarly books. But the respective traditions that have born their names, Buddhism and Christianity, have differences that cannot really be reconciled, that is, without resorting to elastic-band diplomacy.

The Dala ...[text shortened]... moment, available to any who are genuinely tired of conventional human striving and suffering.
    Excellent post.
  6. Not Kansas
    Moves
    09 May '05 05:02
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Excellent post.
    Yes.
  7. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 May '05 02:26
    A Zen monk was once presented with the problem of how to get a goose out of a bottle without breaking the bottle in any way. The difficulty was, the bottleneck was too narrow for the goose to escape. It could not get out. But the Zen master who presented the problem was adamant that there was a solution.

The monk pondered the problem for hours, days, weeks, months, years. Try as he might, he could come up with no rational solution as to how to solve this problem.

Exasperated, he went back to his teacher and admitted he could not think of the solution. The Zen master simply looked at him. In that moment, the monk's frustration with the process of reasoning reached a pitch. His mind then "shut off" and his "inner eye" of pure non-deductive insight opened wide, tacit and intuitive.

"Nansen!" the Zen master shouted, calling out the monk's name. "The goose is out!"
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 May '05 02:34
    Or, "I thought I was, therefore, I might be, however, regardless of all that, I simply am." 😏
    I is that's why I was yesterday or was I?
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 May '05 03:05

The Dala ...[text shortened]... moment, available to any who are genuinely tired of conventional human striving and suffering.

Thanks again for an extended and interesting answer.
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 May '05 03:08
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I is that's why I was yesterday or was I?
    Yes, Grasshopper. You have understood! You are clearly one sharp pitchfork. 😏
  11. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 May '05 03:13
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Thanks again for an extended and interesting answer.
    Ivanhoe are you ready to convert to Buddhism? I have a monk standing by ready to take your call.

😲
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 May '05 04:28
    Ivanhoe are you ready to convert to Buddhism? I have a monk standing by ready to take your call.

😲

I seldom throw away a spiritual treasure I have found. That must be very appealing to a Buddhist ......
  13. Not Kansas
    Moves
    28 May '05 04:46
    One difference between Christianity and Buddhism is that Christ is considered God and the Budda was (considered) just another human.
    Pick your poison.

14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    28 May '05 08:241 edit
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    One difference between Christianity and Buddhism is that Christ is considered God and the Budda was (considered) just another human.
    Pick your poison.

another difference is the lack of Buddhist Fundamentalists cluttering up the internet search engines with pseudo-science.
  15. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    28 May '05 08:29

Thank you for this post.

Nyxie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree