1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 00:25
    “Nones” on the Rise

"The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14 Percent)."

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/

In my view all human beings believe in (place their ultimate confidence in) someone
    or something, even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves. Your view?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 00:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]“Nones” on the Rise

"The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from ...[text shortened]... ce in) someone
    or something, even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves. Your view?[/b]
    Sadly, this may be true for America, but I have heard Christianity is on the rise elsewhere.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 02:41
    [b]“Nones” on the Rise

"The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from ...[text shortened]... ce in) someone
    or something, even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves. Your view?[/b]
    Matthew 24:3-4 talks about what shall happen before the return of Christ
    and I believe we are close to the end times, so close that maybe the
    Anti-Christ may actually be alive even now.
    Kelly
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 08:29
    In my view all human beings believe in (place their ultimate confidence in) someone
    or something, even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves. Your view?
    My view is that your view is quite obviously wrong, and you would know that if you thought about it for a moment or two. But as per usual, I expect you to not discuss it, but instead, ignore any responses to your question then pose the same question again a few weeks later.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 08:56
    What do you mean by "place their ultimate confidence in" and what do you mean by "even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves"?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My view is that your view is quite obviously wrong, and you would know that if you thought about it for a moment or two. But as per usual, I expect you to not discuss it, but instead, ignore any responses to your question then pose the same question again a few weeks later.
    Hi, twhitehead. It's been awhile. With respect to your comment:
    "My view is that your view is quite obviously wrong...",
    please spell out any errors in my point of view. Thanks. -Bob
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:09
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Matthew 24:3-4 talks about what shall happen before the return of Christ
    and I believe we are close to the end times, so close that maybe the
    Anti-Christ may actually be alive even now.
    Kelly
    Is it a good thing or a bad thing that the endtimes are near? I would assume that theists who feel that they have lived according to the word of a god would consider it a good thing because they will soon be able to live side by side with god, but I'm not sure. Because the way you say it makes it sound quite negative.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:13
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Is it a good thing or a bad thing that the endtimes are near? I would assume that theists who feel that they have lived according to the word of a god would consider it a good thing because they will soon be able to live side by side with god, but I'm not sure. Because the way you say it makes it sound quite negative.
    The end times are going to be bloody, so I don't think it is a good thing
    for that. The fact that we could be closer to God due to the end, well that
    would be true no matter when were born, since at some point we all die
    and after that we go to be with the Lord. The very good thing about the
    end time is very soon evil will be done with once and forever, that is a
    very good thing.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:141 edit
    What do you mean by "place their ultimate confidence in" and what do you mean by "even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves"?
    "In my view all human beings believe in (place their ultimate confidence in) someone
    or something, even if they worship daily at the altar of themselves. Your view?" (OP)

One sentence with simple words describing my view on the article about "Nones" seems to perplex you.
    If you take issue, please state your own view; then we'll have a point of comparison. Thanks.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:19
    He means that people put their confidence in themselves alone and in fact hold themselves as the most important aspect of their lives. Basic self-centred self-assurance.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:23
    "The images are but the cost is not therefore when we entertain the last we know the truth of the child and the world will be for no-one but the few who see what is there but understand little."

One sentence with simple words, but I'm sure you haven't got a clue what I just said.

It isn't clear what you mean by ultimate confidence. I know that I'm not infallible. Does that mean I don't have ultimate confidence in me?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:23
    [b]“Nones” on the Rise

Somewhere in the region of 75% of Americans claim to be Christian.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:25
    "The images are but the cost is not therefore when we entertain the last we know the truth of the child and the world will be for no-one but the few who see what is there but understand little."

One sentence with simple words, but I'm sure you haven't got a clue what I just said.

It isn't clear what you mean by ultimate confidence. I know that I'm not infallible. Does that mean I don't have ultimate confidence in me?
    Who are you relying to?
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:26
    Originally posted by divegeester
    He means that people put their confidence in themselves alone and in fact hold themselves as the most important aspect of their lives. Basic self-centred self-assurance.
    I think many people put confidence in others besides themselves and there are plenty of stories of people who have risked their lives and have died saving someone else. Even complete strangers.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 09:27
    I was replying to GB there divegeester. Our posts crossed in cyberspace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree