1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:34
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yes, the USA increasingly resembles a totalitarian regime, like China. A disgrace, isn't it.
    South Africa hasn't exactly go a squeaky clean human rights record either, eh Bosse 😉
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:41
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    South Africa hasn't exactly go a squeaky clean human rights record either, eh Bosse 😉
    No, but we had a regime change, so now people aren't sent to prison for voicing their opinion. Unlike, say, a Chinese teacher who posts pictures on the Internet.

So when are you going to defend 're-education through labour'? Or are you limited to your pathetic pot-and-kettle defence?
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:49
    No, but we had a regime change, so now people aren't sent to prison for voicing their opinion. Unlike, say, a Chinese teacher who posts pictures on the Internet.

So when are you going to defend 're-education through labour'? Or are you limited to your pathetic pot-and-kettle defence?
    No, they don't get senyt to prison. They just disappear.

My adopted home country is Thailand as you know. However, China was my station for 3 years. I speak and know the language. I speak and know how to live the culture. It is less regimed than your readings from other sources have suggested to you.

In fact, as I have said many times on this site, it is less of a police state than most of Europe. As for your nativity..... I cannot comment. It would insult you!
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:503 edits

In America, forced "Re-education" is used to prevent kids from listening to Rock music, and stop them being Gay in the bible belt.

I don't need to go far to find examples mate. I see Your own President, the honorable Mr Mbeki is doing a sterling job of keeping Zimbabwians from losing their righeous government.

An emerging nation of 1.3 billion is trying to change, and i think that it is ludicrous to hop up and down the way you all are. Like i said, it doesn't take much searching to find injustices in your own countries, and most political commentators agree that change is happening. Change doesn't happen over night, your own country can attest to that.

I wonder where China is in the list for Gun crime, or knife crime....below Both the US, and SA i'd guess.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:58
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    most political comentators agree that change is happening.
    That's more interesting than squabbling. Please say more.

For the record I only hop up and down when people are flatly denying the obvious, such as routine human rights abuses in China. Better to agree that they are happening but say that change is coming than use the argument that people haven't the right to comment because other, different abuses are occurring in their own countries.

As for Zimbabwe, Mbeki's quite infuriating, but negotiations are proceeding, albeit at a tortuously slow pace ... http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-08-08-zimbabwe-powersharing-deal-close
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:02
    Originally posted by mikelom
    No, they don't get senyt to prison. They just disappear.
    Flatly idiotic.

No further words wasted on you, crap-eater.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:05
    Flatly idiotic.

No further words wasted on you, crap-eater.
    racist!

FIXED! 😛

Let's face it. You can't handle your own environment so you look for elsewhere to attack! 😠
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:16
    Originally posted by mikelom
    It is less regimed than your readings from other sources have suggested to you.
    Maybe if they allowed total media freedom and freedom of expression, we could get all the 'sources' we need...

I'd like to make up my own mind and not have one person who lived there for a little while just try to shout about how the place isn't too bad over the voices of dying Tibetans.
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:231 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Maybe if they allowed total media freedom and freedom of expression, we could get all the 'sources' we need...

I'd like to make up my own mind and not have one person who lived there for a little while just try to shout about how the place isn't too bad over the voices of dying Tibetans.
    And the voices of dying Ethiopians and Darfurs and , as Hucks kindly pointed, Zimbabwe. They matter less than Tibetans? Or is it not just unruly to now accept the wrongs of the western countries purely because the Olympics are in China?

China does more positive for Tibet than the US does for Iraq, or even the US does for itself!!

Edit: And I am not shouting.... I am reasoning in what I KNOW I have experienced and seen..... unlike you!
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:59
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I am not denying anything, including history of abuse of human rights.

I am saying that in the 3 years of my experience bug changes for the better are indeed happening..... China maybe (maybe) becoming westernised...... or at least looking for honest democracy.

Are you happy with Gordon Brown? Happiness is not about the rule - it is the democratic choice which hasn't - until 5 years ago - honestly existed in the east - not just China.

It is not embarassing to make reference to other countries where the same atrocities (and more extreme - and denial by the super power of west) occur.

By the way, oppression is increasing in the west as liberation takes its way in the east. FEAR is of the west.... not the EAST.....because China and the other eastern countries will eventually bank the world. That's the fear of Europe and America - BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING LEFT. Production is ceasing and the service industries - which is all they have left - are being out run by smarter more educated easterners!....

I am not embarassed in the least! 😉
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 14:051 edit
    That's more interesting than squabbling. Please say more.

For the record I only hop up and down when people are flatly denying the obvious, such as routine human rights abuses in China. Better to agree that they are happening but say that change is coming than use the argument that people haven't the right to comment because other, different abuses tuously slow pace ... http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-08-08-zimbabwe-powersharing-deal-close
    I just think it is the hieght of arrogance to dismiss the failures in your own country, and attack another in such a way as seems to be happening. I mean, four American cyclists wore face masks to prevent from smog........ON THE PLANE OVER. What type of inbred ingrates are you guys sending over there (bosse, i know you're not American, that was a general point....how are Imigrants from Zimbabwe treated in South Africa anyway?) ?

I wonder how many years we would have to go back before these charges of human rights abuse could be thrown back at the country making the accusations.....for America, i think they would have to duck before they speak.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 15:23
    So violations of human rights by the Chinese government are somehow excused because they're not the only ones violating human rights? 😕
  14. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 15:25
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    When China starts treating its own people with respect for their basic human rights, stops occupying and oppressing Tibet, and stops threatening war against Taiwan then I'll possibly consider giving them a little respect. Until that day, they will richly deserve all of the scorn that can be heaped upon them. And I think that the IOC deserves every b ...[text shortened]... an oppressive regime. That was an absolute travesty and I will not be watching that spectacle.
    Well said.
  15. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 16:22
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So violations of human rights by the Chinese government are somehow excused because they're not the only ones violating human rights? 😕
    No...that means.."Clean up your own act before you attack others" 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree