1. Subscribermy2sons
    Retired
    Missouri
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 04:04
    It will be fun to see Alabama eat Notre Dame for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Roll Tide Roll and I am not even an Alabama fan.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 23:04
    Originally posted by my2sons
    It will be fun to see Alabama eat Notre Dame for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Roll Tide Roll and I am not even an Alabama fan.
    but you wear a pointy hat, right.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 16:59
    Your football prediction will wind up being as accurate as your stock market one.
  4. Subscribermy2sons
    Retired
    Missouri
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 15:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Your football prediction will wind up being as accurate as your stock market one.
    This game will be more lopsided than the Florida State - Northern Illinois fiasco.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 20:28
    Listen, just because the SEC has won the NCG for the last thousand years in no way means that ND will lose.

Geesh.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 16:03
    Not so fast there son. Oklahoma was supposed to eat ND's breakfast also, remember what happened? ND came to the sooner state and slapped the okies around like little girls. Alabama is a fine team, but they'd better buckle their chinstraps for this one. ND is no pushover!
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 12:41
    Should be a competitive game and I highly doubt Bama will trample ND like it is suggested above. Look at how Louisville manhandled Gators and you get an idea of what a good coach can do to prepare for a big game. NIU had no business being in a BCS bowl and appeared because of NCAA's warped sense of fairness. I think ND will take care of business and win in a close one.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 16:19
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Should be a competitive game and I highly doubt Bama will trample ND like it is suggested above. Look at how Louisville manhandled Gators and you get an idea of what a good coach can do to prepare for a big game. NIU had no business being in a BCS bowl and appeared because of NCAA's warped sense of fairness. I think ND will take care of business and win in a close one.
    NIU was in the game until the 4th even if their offense didn't get much done. They deserved a shot; even with the loss non-automatic BCS conference teams are 5-3 in BCS bowl games.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 00:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    NIU was in the game until the 4th even if their offense didn't get much done. They deserved a shot; even with the loss non-automatic BCS conference teams are 5-3 in BCS bowl games.
    Competitive? I don't think so! Just look at the stats. The score does not always tell it all. Honestly, did you ever feel FSU was at risk of losing this game the way their D was smothering NIU? I concede NIU provided a modicum of excitement, but I agree with a poster above who considers this game a fiasco other non AQ teams past success notwithstanding. I agree with you their offense got nothing done. I agree with you that all those who think this is a slam dunk for Bama are dead wrong.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 18:22
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Competitive? I don't think so! Just look at the stats. The score does not always tell it all. Honestly, did you ever feel FSU was at risk of losing this game the way their D was smothering NIU? I concede NIU provided a modicum of excitement, but I agree with a poster above who considers this game a fiasco other non AQ teams past success notwithstanding. ...[text shortened]... ng done. I agree with you that all those who think this is a slam dunk for Bama are dead wrong.
    It was 17-10 after three quarters. FSU scored on the first play of the fourth, but then NIU quickly drove to the FSU 38 with almost 11:30 to go. The game was still within reach, but the fumble and quick Seminole score following in was crushing. Still, I don't think NIU embarrassed themselves.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 18:38
    10 reasons Notre Dame will win it all
    Gene Wojciechowski [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | January 7, 2013
    MIAMI -- Before Alabama followers make the pilgrimage to Tuscaloosa for the national championship parade route, they might want to consider the worst-case scenario.

Ten reasons that parade might be in South Bend …

1. Motivation
    Notre Dame's defensive and offensive linemen have just about had it with these kinds of questions:

Derick E. Hingle/USA TODAY Sports
    Notre Dame won't just bow down to Alabama's linemen like D.J. Fluker.
    "When you watch game tape of Alabama's offensive line, do you weep uncontrollably and reach for a Binky?"

"Should the U.S. Postal Service issue a commemorative stamp in honor of Alabama's offensive line?"

"Talk about your own insignificance when compared to Alabama's offensive line. And as a follow-up, should Bama's offensive line have been asked to broker a more palatable fiscal cliff compromise between the president and Congress?"

Make no mistake, the Crimson Tide O-line of tackles Cyrus Kouandjio and D.J. Fluker, guards Chance Warmack and Anthony Steen and center Barrett Jones is worthy of its own instructional DVD. But it isn't impenetrable (six sacks by Western Kentucky, three by Georgia, two by Texas A&M, Florida Atlantic, Michigan, Missouri and Mississippi State). And there are rare times when it scuffles a bit.

Notre Dame's players have said all the right things, but behind the forced smiles and public compliments there has to be a simmering resentment of the praise heaped on Bama's O-line. I'm not saying the Tide players don't deserve it. I'm saying the Irish's D-line is upper-echelon SEC quality. I'm saying I wouldn't want to spend my football Saturdays trying to block the front three of Kapron Lewis-Moore, Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt, or linebackers Prince Shembo, Dan Fox, Manti Te'o and Danny Spond.

Anyway, ND's defense is ranked No. 1 in the country in scoring defense, touchdown defense and red zone TD percentage. That doesn't happen because you've got a snappy fight song.

And do you think Notre Dame's offensive line isn't doing a slow simmer as America genuflects at the mention of those Bama linemen?

2. About that red zone defense ...
    Ever read the four volumes written by Robert Caro on the life and times of President Lyndon B. Johnson? Here at the Discover BCS National Championship, we sportswriters call that, "clearing your throat."

ND's red zone defense has to be the leader in the word-count clubhouse when it comes to pregame X's and O's topics. And can you blame us?

Notre Dame has given up the lowest percentage of red zone touchdowns (24.2) of any FBS team in the past nine seasons. The Irish have forced almost as many turnovers in the red zone (five) as they've given up touchdowns (eight).

USC and Stanford can provide more personal details, especially when it comes to goal-to-go situations. In all, ND has given up minus-5 yards (this is not a misprint) on 39 of those kind of plays. Geez, what a surprise they're No. 1 in the nation in that category.

This is another strength-on-strength matchup in the game (Bama's offense is No. 1 in the SEC on goal-to-go situations), but I like the Irish's chances. Remember, two of the three interceptions thrown by AJ McCarron this season were on goal-to-go downs.

3. Motivation -- Part II
    When the Notre Dame-versus-Bama matchup became a BCS championship reality, the smart guys in Vegas made the Tide an 8½-point favorite. Since then, without doing a thing, Bama has become a 9½-point fave.

Meanwhile, the Irish have to double-check the BCS standings, the polls and the win/loss categories to make sure they're not really Ball State. Yep, there it is: Notre Dame is No. 1 in the BCS, No. 1 in both polls and the only undefeated team in Monday night's BCS Championship Game.

If you think this burns Notre Dame's biscuits, you're right. Bama is getting all the respect, while the Irish are moving toward double-digit betting dogs.

Little things matter in big games. Motivation matters in big games. Here's guessing ND coach Brian Kelly has mentioned the underdog status to his players. And will again.

4. Nick Saban versus Kelly

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh
    Brian Kelly is no slouch in the coaching department.
    Bama's Saban deserves any and every accolade he's received. What he has done at Tuscaloosa (and LSU before that) is beyond remarkable. Keep winning these championships, and he's going to need toe rings.

But Kelly didn't just fall off the equipment truck. He has transformed the Irish program from has-been to national somebody again. He and his staff know how to win big games.

From top to bottom of the roster, Notre Dame might have less talent than Bama. But anybody who thinks Kelly is the automatic unequal of Saban on the sideline hasn't been paying attention this season.

5. History lesson
    Just a few reminders that upsets do happen:

In the 2009 Sugar Bowl, Utah was a 9½-point underdog to Bama (hey, just like Notre Dame is this year) and won 31-17.

And here are some other underdog bowl results of interest from the most wonderful time of the year:

Louisville 33, Florida 23 … SMU 43, Fresno State 10 … Syracuse 38, West Virginia 14 … Georgia Tech 21, USC 7 … Clemson 25, LSU 24.

6. Hello, my name is Tyler Eifert
    Eifert is 6-foot-6, 251 pounds, runs like his cleats are on fire and pretty much gives safeties, cornerbacks and linebackers facial tics. If there is one matchup in which Notre Dame has a decided one-on-one edge, Eifert versus Anybody Bama Puts On Him is that matchup.

Bama's defensive backs are on the slightly larger side, but Eifert still has a significant height and weight advantage. And the Tide probably don't want a linebacker trying to shadow Eifert, who played wide receiver in high school at times -- and is split out by ND in some of its formations.

OK, so let's say Bama uses some bracket coverages on Eifert. Fine. But that creates some other opportunities for Notre Dame's offense.

But Eifert's real value is in the red zone, where his physical advantages make him a living, breathing nightmare to cover. (Can you say "corner fade route" or "jump ball situation?"😉

7. Texas A&M 29, Alabama 24
    "Everett Football?"

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
    Could Everett Golson pull a Johnny Manziel and upset Alabama?
    Uh, no. But there are similarities between Notre Dame second-year quarterback Everett Golson and Texas A&M redshirt freshman Johnny Manziel, who led the Aggies past Bama in Tuscaloosa and later won a Heisman Trophy based partly on that victory.

Golson can stretch a defense with his ability to run. Golson can make all the throws. Golson has made a quantum leap from Game 1 Everett to Game 12 Golson. Turn on the game tape of the 30-13 win at Oklahoma in late October, and you'll see what I mean.

Manziel's mobility, quickness and playmaking ability created problems for Bama's defense. Golson can do the same thing.

Can Golson, who at times earlier this season was pulled for backup Tommy Rees, handle the pressure of the BCS championship moment? Right now, everything is trending that way.

The 40-plus-day prep time is going to help Golson. And there's no question he and Kelly are finally on the same playbook page. The sometimes meek, unsure Golson who started the season has been replaced by a confident, game-tested Golson.

Golson's most impressive performances have come on the road and against good teams (at Michigan State, at Oklahoma, at USC). And hey, McCarron won a national championship as a sophomore, so why can't Golson?

8. SEC bruise marks
    I'm an SEC honk. I make no apologies for it. When in doubt, take the SEC team.

But if the bowl season is any indication, the SEC has some soft spots. No. 3 Florida lost. No. 8 LSU lost. Mississippi State lost. No. 10 South Carolina needed a medium-sized, last-minute passing miracle to beat Michigan by five. (Although it was a cool scoring play, wasn't it?)

In all, the SEC is 5-3 in bowl games. Good, but not SEC good.

And at some point, the law of averages catches up with the SEC, right? It can't keep winning every BCS championship, can it?

Right now the SEC streak is six consecutive BCS titles and counting. Bama has won two of the past three.

But maybe, just maybe, the SEC doesn't have the same muscle mass that it's had in previous years.

9. Advantage ND
    I don't want to call them weak spots -- because they aren't. You don't do what Bama has done this season with multiple weaknesses.

But if you asked the staunchest Roll Tider where Bama could be exploited, he/she would say the secondary and at the wide receiver position.

Georgia's Aaron Murray completed 7 of 14 passes of 15 yards or longer against Alabama in the SEC championship. In the past five games, Tide opponents have completed 50 percent of passes on plays 15 yards or longer.

I'm just saying.

And don't get me wrong on Bama's wide receivers. I'm sweet on the starters, especially Amari Cooper. But the Tide are paper-maché -thin at the position. One tweaked ankle, etc., and that instantly would put Bama in a compromised spot.

10. Destiny
    Sure, it's corny. It's a total cliché . But tell me the part where it isn't true when it comes to Notre Dame this season.

The Irish were unranked in the AP poll at season's beginning. Now they're No. 1. Michigan State was supposed to beat them. Oklahoma was supposed to beat them. Surprise!

If you believe in such things as destiny, then you have to believe in Notre Dame. Every time someone has said the Irish can't do something, they've done it.

The Irish are football irrelevant. … Golson might be overmatched. … There's no way they get through this schedule without at least three losses. … The secondary can't recover from injuries. … Kelly can't adapt. ...

Blah, blah, blah.

Th...
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Jan '13 04:52
    Originally posted by sasquatch672

MIAMI -- Before Alabama followers make the pilgrimage to Tuscaloosa for the national championship parade route, they might want to consider the worst-case scenario.

1. Motivation
    Notre Dame's defensi ...[text shortened]...

Th...
    Well that sucked.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Jan '13 05:15
    This game will be more lopsided than the Florida State - Northern Illinois fiasco.
    I think you hit this one on the head!!
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    08 Jan '13 06:53
    Well that sucked.
    I enjoyed all but 14 points of it.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '13 12:44

1. Motivation
    Notre Dame's defensi ...[text shortened]...

Th...
    Worst defensive performance by a much vaunted defense. I truly thought the game would be competitive, but ND embarrassed themselves, could not tackle, kept throwing deep when they could have thrown underneath to keep drives going, did not seem to have a clue. Bad defense, bad coaching, you name it it. Tried their hardest to lose and did! Alabama really outplayed them in every phase of the game! Congrats to Bama and shame on ND! ND did not belong in this game. Oregon did, but got jumped by Bama in a system that stinks. Can't wait for a real playoff!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree