1. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 17:08
    why is it that arsenal striker Eduardo is going likely to be fined for his dive in the celtic match in champions league qualifier. I understand it was bad but all players do it, state your veiws...
  2. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 17:311 edit
    He dove. He should be reprimanded. But three things:

1) Diving's a bookable offense. How does an offense that will get you a yellow card in play suddenly warrant a two match ban if discipline is administered after the fact?

2) If Platini and/or UEFA care about salvaging their very last shred of credibility, they'll have to apply this sort of justice consistently. That means no more pass for the likes of C Ronaldo, Drogba, etc.

3) Furthermore, if Platini and UEFA do, by some miracle, apply the rule consistently, don't expect to see the Italian team at the World Cup, as all of their players will be serving bans. 😉
  3. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 18:24
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    He dove. He should be reprimanded. But three things:

1) Diving's a bookable offense. How does an offense that will get you a yellow card in play suddenly warrant a two match ban if discipline is administered after the fact?

2) If Platini and/or UEFA care about salvaging their very last shred of credibility, they'll have to apply this sort of just ...[text shortened]... t to see the Italian team at the World Cup, as all of their players will be serving bans. 😉
    I agree with 1 completely and it's not like it won arsenal the tie at all! Many players do it consistently like the 2 you named but there is no punishment, why? fair point about the italian team. lol
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 20:33
    yea nd platini is italian so ders no way:L
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 23:59
    Saw the game, 100% dive - dives have to be stopped, give him a 10 year ban
  6. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 00:25
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    YouTube

Ban Gerrard too?
  7. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 11:37
    yeah it was a dive but as was quoted above dives are a bookable offence ,not a ban...
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 12:36
    Originally posted by jacko13
    yea nd platini is italian so ders no way:L
    Thought he was French 😉
  9. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 12:45
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Thought he was French 😉
    too true
  10. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 19:21
    Originally posted by cadwah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

Ban Gerrard too?
    Ahem it appears that I need to point out that I am not a Liverpool fan 😛
    I may sometimes point out to Man Utd jerks the error of their ways when slating Liverpool though.
  11. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 19:23
    Originally posted by BIGWAD
    yeah it was a dive but as was quoted above dives are a bookable offence ,not a ban...
    I concur that they are a carded offence but I also gave my opinion of what the sentance should be if I was in charge 😉
    A 50/50 ball find argue the toss
    A totally wrong claim needs to be stamped out and 3 game 5 game bans would soon put a stop to divers
  12. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 19:35
    I concur that they are a carded offence but I also gave my opinion of what the sentance should be if I was in charge 😉
    A 50/50 ball find argue the toss
    A totally wrong claim needs to be stamped out and 3 game 5 game bans would soon put a stop to divers
    There is also a suggestion then on whether we should bring video reply into the game like rugby. We have to measure pro's and cons but if it would stop diver then bring it in! As an arsenal fan I think it is bad that people like Drogba and Ronaldo get off with it. It comes back to uefa's commitments to it.
  13. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 20:40
    There is also a suggestion then on whether we should bring video reply into the game like rugby. We have to measure pro's and cons but if it would stop diver then bring it in! As an arsenal fan I think it is bad that people like Drogba and Ronaldo get off with it. It comes back to uefa's commitments to it.
    I would not like to see video during a game but would be happy enough to see it after the game with offenders punished.

A few seasons ago, my team had a player sent off for head butting. The game was 0-0 at that point and we appeared in control & most likely to score. It was our attacking midfielder/play maker that was sent off.
    After the game they reviewed the footage and the red card recinded as the defender clearly feint a head butt when in reality no contact or threat of contact was even made.
    I was disgusted that they saw fit to recind the red card but without punishment to the defender. He clearly intended to get our player sent off.
  14. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 20:56
    So, when will Rooney's two match ban be handed down?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 22:33
    why is it that arsenal striker Eduardo is going likely to be fined for his dive in the celtic match in champions league qualifier. I understand it was bad but all players do it, state your veiws...
    i doubt it would have made much of a difference to the result, arsenal played some beautiful football, why mar it with a pansy diving incident. the technology is there, why it is not utilised i do not know. football has consistently opposed its use under the ludicrous guise that it will detract from the game etc etc etc, and that bad decisions are part of the game. Refer the matter to a panel of three officiating referees that have access to the technology, which they shall utilise to form a consensus and render judgement, not post game, but during it and have the offending player removed. it will take literally very few minutes, whence in the interim, pretty scantily clad ladies could hand out free beer and munchies for all concerned.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree