1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 00:05
    Whatever. Lol.
  2. Utrecht
    Moves
    30 Aug '11 20:10
    A club that scouts for brilliant young talents. The only club in the premier league with a positive bankaccount as far as I know. The only english topclub that doesn't spend a ridiculous 40 million or more on one single player. A club that doesn't pay 225.000 a week for some hotshot. And still has the most beautiful play in England. My compliments for such a club. An example for all the deficit teams in europe.
  3. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 11:07
    Originally posted by Sake
    A club that scouts for brilliant young talents. The only club in the premier league with a positive bankaccount as far as I know. The only english topclub that doesn't spend a ridiculous 40 million or more on one single player. A club that doesn't pay 225.000 a week for some hotshot. And still has the most beautiful play in England. My compliments for such a club. An example for all the deficit teams in europe.
    A "positive bank account"? You obviously haven't realised that they have a stadium to pay for.
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 12:051 edit
    Young talents that they can't keep hold of to form a title winning team

It's a positive net spend but I doubt it's a bank account in the black (that stadium wasn't cheap)

Only Chelsea have ever spent £40M or more on a single player

£225,000 per week for Aguero? Looks a steal at the moment

Beautiful play that's won nothing in 6 years
  5. Utrecht
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 18:54
    Well that's their policy. So many clubs, so little prices. Should every club join this expensive ratrace with a chance to go bankrupt? I think not. If this is what it takes to stay financially healthy, so be it and try for the best. For that reason Arsenal deserves much more respect than ManU, ManC, Chelsea, Madrid, Barcelona to name a few.
    In the Netherlands clubs are in big trouble with 'only' 20/30 million deficit and placed under supervision. They are not allowed to buy players without selling, have to get black figures within 3 years etc, or lose their license. Former European topclub Feyenoord is one of them.
    Time for fair rules for all of them.
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 09:51
    Their policy (as a football club) is to exist to win trophies. Whilst I admire their youth and wages policies, they've won nothing for 6 years and are going backwards. Spending money isn't a guarantee of success but Arsenal are proving that not spending will set you backwards.

They have cash to spend on players that can make an improvement to the team - why haven't they been spending it?
  7. Utrecht
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 15:45
    With the same policy during the let's say Henri/Bergkamp/Viera era, they did win prices, didn't they? I see it as a relieve that Arsenal doesn't join the big spenders with hundreds of millions deficit to win a cup. A cup is meaningless when the club goes down.
    I guess the time has changed that even the young talents prefer the bench, or the skybox, for 100.000 or so a week, instead being on the pitch every week for less.
    And as a fan of the game I prefer an attractive team that might lose sometimes, above a boring 1-0 win every week and a cup.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 16:08
    With the same policy during the let's say Henri/Bergkamp/Viera era, they did win prices, didn't they? I see it as a relieve that Arsenal doesn't join the big spenders with hundreds of millions deficit to win a cup. A cup is meaningless when the club goes down.
    I guess the time has changed that even the young talents prefer the bench, or the skybox, for 100.000 ...[text shortened]... er an attractive team that might lose sometimes, above a boring 1-0 win every week and a cup.
    Bergkamp and especially Henry were big buys for the time.
  9. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 17:33
    the only club to lose 8 so far this season. 😀
  10. In your face
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 01:29
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Their policy (as a football club) is to exist to win trophies. Whilst I admire their youth and wages policies, they've won nothing for 6 years and are going backwards. Spending money isn't a guarantee of success but Arsenal are proving that not spending will set you backwards.

They have cash to spend on players that can make an improvement to the team - why haven't they been spending it?
    I'm not sure they have money to spend on players. They have other bills to pay. It's a business and it's being run like a business. Financial survival comes first, winning trophies is secondary.
    I admire Wenger and the teams that he has put together over the last 15 years and the players that he has brought to the stage. I get the feeling though, that he will throw in the towel at the end of this season and I wouldn't blame him for doing so. It must be very frustrating to be in such a position. His management skills deserve more investment.
    There were only really two teams in it last season and now there will be three this season because of ongoing investment over numerous years: Chelsea and Man City have afforded this through billionaire owners and Man U because they are a worldwide brand.
    I'll give it five years and the whole thing will probably swallow iteself up. It has gotten to the point where clubs need to be bought by billionaires just to be competetive, let alone succeed. This continuous, parabolic increase of price tags for players and their wages is impossible to sustain and I think it has just hit its peak. Where is the next wave of finance coming from to continue this upward trend?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 09:25
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    I'm not sure they have money to spend on players. They have other bills to pay. It's a business and it's being run like a business. Financial survival comes first, winning trophies is secondary.
    I admire Wenger and the teams that he has put together over the last 15 years and the players that he has brought to the stage. I get the feeling though, that he ...[text shortened]... hit its peak. Where is the next wave of finance coming from to continue this upward trend?
    With the financial fair play rules starting to bite on 2012 and 2013, it seems like now is the worst possible timing to dump Arsenal's strategy. I haven't read the FFP rules in detail, but I imagine it's still relatively soft for most clubs, but hopefully it will have some bite for the clubs who have become some billionaire's new toy.
  12. Utrecht
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 15:31
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Bergkamp and especially Henry were big buys for the time.
    They became big, but were not that well known when Arsenal bought them.
  13. Utrecht
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 15:41
    Originally posted by Palynka
    With the financial fair play rules starting to bite on 2012 and 2013, it seems like now is the worst possible timing to dump Arsenal's strategy. I haven't read the FFP rules in detail, but I imagine it's still relatively soft for most clubs, but hopefully it will have some bite for the clubs who have become some billionaire's new toy.
    I don't know the rules in detail either, but I wouldn't be surprised when they would be about the same I earlier mentioned how they are implemented in the Netherlands. But I wonder if the UEFA has got the balls to act the same against Madrid, Barcelona and all the others who have a skyhigh deficit.
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 17:341 edit
    They became big, but were not that well known when Arsenal bought them.
    Bergkamp wasn't a big name before he went to Arsenal? hahahaha

Before moving to Arsenal he played for Ajax and Inter (transferred to Inter in 1993 for £12m!) scoring 114 in 237 games. He'd also been in the Dutch side for 5 years and played in Euro 92 and WC 94.
  15. Utrecht
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 10:43
    He was huge in Holland that time, but wasn't that popular in Italy. He scored not enough, he was not pleased with the Italian defenses and he had his comrad players against him for his fear to fly. In macho Italy he was a pussy. The clubs weren't queing for him when he left Inter, were they? So, he was seen as not so big. Wenger did see his greatness, as he did with so may others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree