2. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 06:21
    Originally posted by Elamef37
    Things are pretty close, at the moment, could go either way 🙂
    South Africa are kicking our butts.

Maybe selectors might choose the right team next time.

That Peter Siddle is useless, not sure why he was picked, when you got players like Watson and Tait.

Full credit to South Africa though, they have been on top for most of this test.
  3. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 06:51
    Originally posted by boarman

That Peter Siddle is useless, not sure why he was picked, when you got players like Watson and Tait.

Full credit to South Africa though, they have been on top for most of this test.
    Tait would have been better

Then again, not enough Qld'ers in the team 😀
  4. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 06:57
    Well done to the South African team, winning the first test match. 😵
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 19:54

I don't know man, I thought you guys won most of the sessions, we just batted great on the last day on a flat pitch.

I was wondering where Tait was. Also, is Stuart Clark injured or what?
  6. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 02:09
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I don't know man, I thought you guys won most of the sessions, we just batted great on the last day on a flat pitch.

I was wondering where Tait was. Also, is Stuart Clark injured or what?
    Clark is out for the rest of the summer as he just had elbow surgery.
    An excellent batting display fron Smith and De Villiers and how good is Amla going to be. I think he has a thousand test runs for this calender year i read.
    South Africa kicked our butt from here to breakfast time. We need bowlers. We cant seem to take twenty wickets. Lee's heart is not in cricket at the moment with his marriage breakdown, Siddle did not much either.
    The team needs more New South Welshmen in it. Give Bollinger a go.
  7. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 07:58

I wouldn't have thought that South Africa won most sessions.. Aussies won their fair share too. South Africa knuckled down when they needed to and deserved the win.

On most occasions, 414 is enough to win - but a combination of good batting, a flat deck and an inexperienced and/or poor bowling attack gave the game up. Australia was always going to stuggle post Warne/McGrath but I don't think they've got the right bowlers now!

Lee needs a rest. Siddle had only played 15 first class games!! And 2 of them for Australia. So he needs more time playing for Victoria. Kreja probably needs more time and first class level too. Tait should have played instead of Siddle.. and if not Tait, then Shane Watson. I'd have thought Watson would be no lesser a bowler than Siddle but is a much better batsman.. Hayden needs to go too.

South Africa are going to be very hard to beat from here on. And Australia don't have enough form players to match them!
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 19:41
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Hayden needs to go too.

South Africa are going to be very hard to beat from here on. And Australia don't have enough form players to match them!
    Bit harsh, eh? Hayden is the player most opponents fear, in my book. You can't keep a player like him down for too long.
    Just look at how well Kallis performed after a VERY ordinary year so far...

I think we are pretty well matched, both teams in a rebuilding phase after losing some great players - you guys more than us.
  9. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 04:21
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Bit harsh, eh? Hayden is the player most opponents fear, in my book. You can't keep a player like him down for too long.
    Just look at how well Kallis performed after a VERY ordinary year so far...

I think we are pretty well matched, both teams in a rebuilding phase after losing some great players - you guys more than us.
    I don't think it's too harsh. Hayden hasn't performed for some time now and at 37 years of age, he's getting a bit long in the tooth for a cricketer (or any sportsman!) There are younger players around who could do an equally good job as Hayden, if not better (given current form) Phil Jacques is a player who's been injured but is due back soon-ish and there are 1 or 2 others around putting their hand up for Haydens spot. His reputation is a daunting one for opponents but he is not performing. And age is against him.

Australia's problem is their bowlers - you simply CANNOT replace once-in-a-lifetime players like Warne and McGrath - it will take the edge off any team. You guys have lost some exceptionally talented cricketers and it does deplete you. Who would you consider a player you'd least like to lose? Kallis?

Australia has been spoilt over the last 15 years or so but now we're just going to have to get used to tougher times!

It's a nice thing to hear that you think the teams are pretty evenly matched. I'd say the Aussies are probably number 3 now - behind India and South Africa. If/when one of these teams take over the number 1 spot, it will be well deserved - just like when the Aussies took over from the West Indies 15 years ago.
  10. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 05:04
    Second Test match tomorrow, can't wait 🙂
  11. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 05:08
    Originally posted by Elamef37
    Second Test match tomorrow, can't wait 🙂
    Aussies historically have been the best, right Elame?
  12. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 05:16
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Things haven't been to well off late. But over the last few years or so, yeah been doing all right. 🙂 I reckon so anyway 😉
  13. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 08:23
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    Smookie, merry christmas mate.
    For the last 15 years we were blessed to have a production line of talent in the game of cricket, and we crushed the world under our heels, but they all got old and retired. Oh well!
    The rest of the world is smacking their lips over a tasty meal of our carcasses, the other teams are cheering and helping each other to pound us, but we will kick em between the legs every now and then to remind them we are here still.
    Test cricket to me is like a five day game of chess using real people and finding and taking advantage of weaknesses in opposition players. Great game smookie.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 20:59
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Great game smookie.
    The ultimate sporting 'test', IMHO.

Endurance, imagination, fitness, strategy and all your cricket skills are tested in a test match.

It's the beautiful game!
  15. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 05:33
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Smookie, merry christmas mate.
    For the last 15 years we were blessed to have a production line of talent in the game of cricket, and we crushed the world under our heels, but they all got old and retired. Oh well!
    The rest of the world is smacking their lips over a tasty meal of our carcasses, the other teams are cheering and helping each other to pou ...[text shortened]... people and finding and taking advantage of weaknesses in opposition players. Great game smookie.
    I have great friends here that go on and on about it, slowly checking it out 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree