Australia VS South Africa

Australia VS South Africa

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
02 Jan 09

Originally posted by buffalobill
I feel sympathy for Australia's cricket problems which to my mind have been purely selection-based and it's hard to blame Ponting who's had very few cards to play with (think bridge for an example). But I also really want SA to grind it in with a good win in Sydney. We've eaten dirt for too long.
Great post again William.

In the past 10-15 years, the Australian cricket team has selected itself. The selection panel just did the job for the free buffet at the press conferences.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
02 Jan 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Great post again William.

In the past 10-15 years, the Australian cricket team has selected itself. The selection panel just did the job for the free buffet at the press conferences.
Precisely. Selectors are expected to have a keen insight into the game. To use a legal phrase, they haven't applied their minds, which is odd since some past greats are also Aus selectors. David Boon comes to mind - he of the walrus moustache and the bear waddle. Great player, mind, and don't tell him I told you 😉

You can only gamble on one selection in any Test team - ideally never. If it hasn't been said before, I'm saying it now. I've seen such selections for South Africa in the past and it doesn't work.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
03 Jan 09
2 edits

Its off and racing, the third test. the Aussies won the toss and are batting. 58 for no loss. 12 overs bowled.
Good to see Bollinger get picked. He's a left arm pace bowler. Usefull too.
Edit: 1 for 62, Katich gone, caught in slips of Kallis.
Double edit: Ponting goooone for a duck of Morkel, golden at that. 2 for 63. Righto, thats it!! I'm off to the pub to get rotten drunk! Grumble grumble grumble!

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
03 Jan 09

Originally posted by lordhighgus
Its off and racing, the third test. the Aussies won the toss and are batting. 58 for no loss. 12 overs bowled.
Good to see Bollinger get picked. He's a left arm pace bowler. Usefull too.
Edit: 1 for 62, Katich gone, caught in slips of Kallis.
Double edit: Ponting goooone for a duck of Morkel, golden at that. 2 for 63. Righto, thats it!! I'm off to the pub to get rotten drunk! Grumble grumble grumble!
267/6 at close of play and honours even I would say. It all depends on how Australia continue in the morning. It appears to be a slow scoring wicket, so 320 could be fair. Whether the inexperienced bowling attack will then be enough to contain the SA batting will another thing. On the other hand, it's an inexperienced attack, but the SA batsmen will not have seen them before, so it may work both ways.
Quick prediction: Kallis to make a ton. He'll bat carefully to start with as he always does, get the measure of them and go on. He's also due a big score.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
03 Jan 09

Quick prediction: Kallis to make a ton. He'll bat carefully to start with as he always does, get the measure of them and go on. He's also due a big score.
Acutally, now I say this and think a little more, there's two SA players who have been totally fired up against Australia this tour. Ntini looked a shadow of his old self for virtually the whole year and I thought he was due retirement - he looked tired and grey, was not firing on all cylinders at all, but suddenly against Aus, he seems to be enjoying himself again. A fairly similar thing for Kallis who's bowling with fire and getting wickets. He hasn't hit top form with the bat yet, but watch the coming few days.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
04 Jan 09

The Aussies have been EXTREMELY lucky in this test. Seems the cricket gods don't want SA to get to their rightfully deserved no1 position.

Nicks dropping just short, difficult chances not grabbed by the fielders, the tail-enders again getting away with their streaky shots, Ponting winning the toss (again!) with the pitch deteriorating and now Smith out with a broken finger.

Ah well, I suppose it's a feather in our cap that the Australian team needs all this going in their favour to just win a test against us...

A

Moves
04 Jan 09

The Aussies have been EXTREMELY lucky in this test. Seems the cricket gods don't want SA to get to their rightfully deserved no1 position.

Nicks dropping just short, difficult chances not grabbed by the fielders, the tail-enders again getting away with their streaky shots, Ponting winning the toss (again!) with the pitch deteriorating and now Smith out ...[text shortened]... that the Australian team needs all this going in their favour to just win a test against us...
Well, I'm on the other side of the world and probably glad that I don't get to see any of these tests! But... the Aussies are a complete rabble. South Africa do deserve to be number 1 - they have been thereabouts (near the top) for a while and have obviously needed the Aussies to fall over to get to the summit. Poor form, injuries, retirements etc.. haven't helped the Aussies here.

But it's probably a bit naive of you to complain about Smith being out with an injury.. never good in the middle of a test, of course, but I guess you've forgotten about Stuart Clark, Symonds, Lee.. to a lesser extent Watson as he wasn't in the side but should've played anyway.. so there's a couple of useful players there that have been missed - particularly Clark.

Even if the Aussies win this match, or it turns out to be a draw, I am sure that (on given form) South Africa will take the number 1 ranking in South Africa - wouldn't you prefer to take it there? Maybe some huge crowds can come out to watch eh??

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
04 Jan 09

Originally posted by AussieG
Even if the Aussies win this match, or it turns out to be a draw, I am sure that (on given form) South Africa will take the number 1 ranking in South Africa - wouldn't you prefer to take it there? Maybe some huge crowds can come out to watch eh??
You make a good point there...

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
06 Jan 09

We can still win this one!

😞

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
06 Jan 09

We can still win this one!

😞
Anyones game this. S.A is 1 for 62 (really 2 for 62 with Grahame Smith breaking a finger and having his hand in a cast). Need about 312 more with a full day left.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
06 Jan 09

Anyones game this. S.A is 1 for 62 (really 2 for 62 with Grahame Smith breaking a finger and having his hand in a cast). Need about 312 more with a full day left.
It's possible, but highly unlikely.
Amla, Kallis or de Villiers will need to smack a pretty quick 150 odd to pull it off...

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
06 Jan 09

It's possible, but highly unlikely.
Amla, Kallis or de Villiers will need to smack a pretty quick 150 odd to pull it off...
Given S.A's batting i would be suprised, pleasantly, if you guys lost from here. The pitch is cracked, but playing straight.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
06 Jan 09

Given S.A's batting i would be suprised, pleasantly, if you guys lost from here. The pitch is cracked, but playing straight.
I wouldn't put my money on a SA win because it's going to be hard scoring runs quickly and that pitch is cracking up a lot longitudinally. It looks like badly laid cement at the moment, but Aus found it easy going in the morning ...
I really dunno, Ponting wasn't in the mood for late Xmas presents, but I will put my neck out for Kallis getting a ton and taking us close. The loss of Graeme Smith is going to require the rest of the batsmen to do something extra special.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
06 Jan 09

Originally posted by AussieG

I'll definitely be in the crowd at the Wanderers in early Feb. Crowley, want to make it a twosome?

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
06 Jan 09
1 edit

I'll definitely be in the crowd at the Wanderers in early Feb. Crowley, want to make it a twosome?
Er, sure bill, but without the homosexual innuendo please... 😳