1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 16:47
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Yes, you were right, but I did mention that I was not certain about that game. The first half was all OSU but the second half did them in.
    Actually all I saw was the first half when the Cowboy defense played very well. I was stunned when I saw the final stats; Oregon must have gained 400 yards in the second half.
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 18:053 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Actually all I saw was the first half when the Cowboy defense played very well. I was stunned when I saw the final stats; Oregon must have gained 400 yards in the second half.
    The Cowboys defense played well, and the Ducks defense did not play well in the first quarter. After that, the Ducks became more physical on both sides of the ball.

In the 3rd quarter it was clear that the Ducks had all the energy on defense. Also, the Cowboys were not able to run the ball the entire game.

On offense, I thought the turning point was in the 3rd quarter when the Ducks, who get plays off pretty quickly, ran a hurry-up series that was amazingly fast and the Cowboy defense never really recovered from that. We were able to run the ball in the second half and they weren't.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 01:311 edit
    We'll see after the rest of the games are played.

Of course, there's only one Big XII game that interests me.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 01:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    We'll see after the rest of the games are played.

Of course, there's only one Big XII game that interests me.
    The Pac-10, which is having a "down year" according to you, is 4-0 in bowl games.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 02:13
    The Pac-10, which is having a "down year" according to you, is 4-0 in bowl games.
    Did you happen to notice that the bulk of the Pac 10 teams are playing in the lower tier bowls? I only saw one rep from the Pac 10 in the 6 major bowls: Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton & BCS Championship), and that is USC. I saw three from the Big 12 in the 6 major bowls, three from the SEC, two from the Big 10, two from the Big East and one from the Mountain West.

That is not too impressive for a great conference, is it?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 05:15
    I believe I said the SEC is having a down year. Although LSU defeated GT, that same GT team defeated UGA a few weeks back.

As far as the Holiday Bowl goes, I believe that was a match up between the Big XII #4 vs Pac-10 #2. If it wasn't for a couple of key injuries, the Pokes probably win that game. Injuries are part of the game, but when trying to compare which team is 'better', only a simpleton would not take those kinds of things into consideration.
  7. SubscriberSmookiePonline
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 08:01
    I believe I said the SEC is having a down year. Although LSU defeated GT, that same GT team defeated UGA a few weeks back.

As far as the Holiday Bowl goes, I believe that was a match up between the Big XII #4 vs Pac-10 #2. If it wasn't for a couple of key injuries, the Pokes probably win that game. Injuries are part of the game, but when trying to compa ...[text shortened]... h team is 'better', only a simpleton would not take those kinds of things into consideration.
    GT and UGA play every year. It doesn't seem to matter which team is better. If you've been in Atlanta, you'd know that.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 13:032 edits

As far as the Holiday Bowl goes, I believe that was a match up between the Big XII #4 vs Pac-10 #2. If it wasn't for a couple of key injuries, the Pokes probably win that game. Injuries are part of the game, but when trying to compa ...[text shortened]... h team is 'better', only a simpleton would not take those kinds of things into consideration.
    You know what excuses are like, don't you? You have creative ones for every single incorrect assessment of yours. For once, I'd like to see you man up .

Oklahoma State was ranked higher than Oregon last I checked. Oregon also lost to Boise State (at home) and at Cal besides being routed by USC. Yet then managed to handle the Cowboys, who played both Texas and Oklahoma tough.

Let's see what excuse you'll roll out when Ole Miss beats Texas Tech.

BTW: Here you said "USC plays a weak schedule" http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=99139&page=12

and on the next page, first post, you said "they [USC] play in a conference that is down". Of course, to you and SC every conference but the Big 12 is "down".
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 13:051 edit
    Did you happen to notice that the bulk of the Pac 10 teams are playing in the lower tier bowls? I only saw one rep from the Pac 10 in the 6 major bowls: Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton & BCS Championship), and that is USC. I saw three from the Big 12 in the 6 major bowls, three from the SEC, two from the Big 10, two from the Big East and one from the Mountain West.

(Shrug) I'd hardly consider the Cotton a major bowl anymore. Including it skews your numbers as it is now set up as a game between Big 12 and SEC teams.

The Cotton Bowl features a Big 12 Conference representative against a representative from the Southeastern Conference (SEC).

http://www.football-bowl.com/bowls/cotton-bowl.html
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 18:14
    (Shrug) I'd hardly consider the Cotton a major bowl anymore. Including it skews your numbers as it is now set up as a game between Big 12 and SEC teams.

The Cotton Bowl features a Big 12 Conference representative against a representative from the Southeastern Conference (SEC).

http://www.football-bowl.com/bowls/cotton-bowl.html
    What? All of the bowls have alliances except for the BCS title game. The Rose Bowl is Pac 10 vs Big 10. Toss it out and there are no Pac 10 teams. If you are going to discount the Cotton, you have to discount them all. You surely can come up with a more compelling and reasonable arguement than your weak response. Man up and admit you just got strung up by your own biases....again.
  11. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 20:52

You forgot to include in that the ACC(VT).
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 22:12
    BTW, you forget the Gator Bowl where Nebraska plays disappointing Clemson. I'll still take the Tigers.
    Guess you like the taste of Cornhusks in the morning!!
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 22:16
    What? All of the bowls have alliances except for the BCS title game. The Rose Bowl is Pac 10 vs Big 10. Toss it out and there are no Pac 10 teams. If you are going to discount the Cotton, you have to discount them all. You surely can come up with a more compelling and reasonable arguement than your weak response. Man up and admit you just got strung up by your own biases....again.
    The illogic of you guys is really staggering. The Cotton Bowl has to be between a SEC and Big 12 team; it's hardly evidence of the superiority of those conferences that they put a team in the game! The Rose Bowl, as part of the BCS, doesn't have to be between the Big Ten and PAC-10 anymore.

Please try to make a less retarded argument next time.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 22:20
    Originally posted by golfer1
    You forgot to include in that the ACC(VT).
    you are correct...my bad. The brakdown should have been:

Big 12 - (3) Texas, OU, Texas Tech
    SEC - (3) Florida, Alabama, Mississippi
    Big 10 - (2) Penn State, Ohio State
    ACC - (1) Virginia Tech
    Big East - (1) Cincinnati
    Mountain West - (1) Utah
    Pac 10 - (1) USC
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 22:231 edit
    Guess you like the taste of Cornhusks in the morning!!
    Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day!

It all comes down to the Texas Tech-Ole Miss game as far as I'm concerned. If the Big 12 is really as good as you say it is, the Red Raiders should win easily. Of course, if that is true, Texas should smash Ohio State as well.

EDIT: The Big Ten even managed to win a game today, raising their bowl record to 1-4.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree