1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 03:071 edit
    Case in point, last night's Alamo Bowl. Missouri came in with the 7th rated offense in yards gained and scoring over 42 points a game. Their opponent, Northwestern of the Bowl-challenged Big Ten, had a defense rated only 51st in the country and had been blown out by Michigan State 37-20, Ohio State 45-10
    How about them Buckeyes?

Well I have to say that I now have the perspective that there are few teams as good as my Buckeyes except for teams like USC and the best in the SEC after having watched the bowl games thus far. In fact, it gives me much more hope against Texas!!! I guess we will see if my Buckeyes are better than the best in the Big 12.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 03:08
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I thought the win by our Ducks was impressive. You have your opinion, I have mine. 😉
    I misspoke. I meant to say Oregon who beat OKlahoma State was impressive. It was Oregon State who was unimpressive in the Sun Bowl.
    My bad.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 03:57
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I misspoke. I meant to say Oregon who beat OKlahoma State was impressive. It was Oregon State who was unimpressive in the Sun Bowl.
    My bad.
    How could the Beavers be unimpressive? They defeated the mighty Trojans. If they defeated the Trojans, they must be better than the Trojans. Head to head.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 04:10
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How could the Beavers be unimpressive? They defeated the mighty Trojans. If they defeated the Trojans, they must be better than the Trojans. Head to head.
    So, I guess it will be Texas in the championship game against Florida then? Afterall, they beat OU by 10 on a neutral field.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 04:52
    Actually, the only teams that should be playing for a national championship are undefeated teams. After a team has lost a game, that team has demonstrated that it is worse than some other team.

Ole Miss is better than Florida
    Texas is better than OU
    Tech is better than Texas
    OU is better than Tech
    Florida is better than Alabama
    Oregon State is better than USC
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 06:35
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    My bad.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. All I could think was that it was a good thing they didn't stink up the Rose Bowl. 😛
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 15:46

Texas is better than OU
    Finally, we agree on something!!
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 17:20
    Funny.

I think my point is clear enough. The better team loses from time to time. Those games are generally called upsets.

But it seems that people forget that with college football. That's because college football is a beauty contest. Instead of a play off where the top teams fight it out, you try to vote on who is the 'best' team. Then you decide who is best based on one game. If there is an upset, then the inferior team gets called the better team.

In sport contests, it doesn't matter who is the better team, it matters who wins the day.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 17:28
    Funny.

I think my point is clear enough. The better team loses from time to time. Those games are generally called upsets.

But it seems that people forget that with college football. That's because college football is a beauty contest. Instead of a play off where the top teams fight it out, you try to vote on who is the 'best' team. Then you decide ...[text shortened]...

In sport contests, it doesn't matter who is the better team, it matters who wins the day.
    I guess a better system would be for Eladar to just designate which team is the better team and we wouldn't have to waste all that time actually playing the games.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 17:51
    You are without a clue.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 23:05
    I have to hand it to Ole Miss. They thoroughly whipped Texas Tech in the second half. I was impressed (of course I should have remembered the Colt McCoy understudy was running the show for Ole Miss. Snead played pretty well too).

I doff my cap to No1 for his call on this one.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 00:101 edit
    Considering the way Tech played Baylor at the end of the season, this wasn't that difficult of a call. Both Harrell and Crabtree were injured. Harell could still throw the ball, but Crabtree couldn't play.

Having said that, there's no excuse for the poor defensive play. Tech has generally been one of the better defenses in the Big XII. So I have to agree that Big XII defenses aren't very good across the board.

But I think OU still has a shot. Ole Miss beat Florida in the Swamp and OU whipped Tech worse than Ole Miss.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 00:35
    Considering the way Tech played Baylor at the end of the season, this wasn't that difficult of a call. Both Harrell and Crabtree were injured. Harell could still throw the ball, but Crabtree couldn't play.

Having said that, there's no excuse for the poor defensive play. Tech has generally been one of the better defenses in the Big XII. So I have to agr ...[text shortened]... ill has a shot. Ole Miss beat Florida in the Swamp and OU whipped Tech worse than Ole Miss.
    aaaah, but Texas beat OU and lost to Tech by less than Texas beat OU.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 02:04
    You can play with stats any way you like. How about margin of victory instead of margin of loss?

In any case, here are some more stats:

Tech vs SEC tough defense:

24 First Downs
    469 Yards of Offense
    24 Points

Tech vs OU

20 First Downs
    406 Yards of Offense
    20 Points

That was against a healthy Harrel and Crabtree. Perhaps OU's defense isn't so bad after all.

I'm finding this Utah game to be very interesting. Did anyone call this one for Utah?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 03:16
    I would edit my older post, but can't.

I really think Alabama will come back and win this game. Alabama clearly has the better athletes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree