1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 04:49
    Alabama lost convincingly. Now we are again at the same, tired theme - the abject failure of the BCS system. How is it we go through this garbage year after year and there is no playoff?

Is Oklahoma, Texas, USC, or Florida better than the Utes? Heck if I know. The Utes looked pretty sharp; they have a helluva defense.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 04:56
    This year the Utes definitely deserved a chance at the MNC. Other years they may be an inferior team playing a weak schedule, but this year they deserve a shot.

A National Championship should be determined on the field.
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 05:12
    Agreed, and once again that doesn't seem to be the case. 😕
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 05:36
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Considering the way Tech played Baylor at the end of the season, this wasn't that difficult of a call. Both Harrell and Crabtree were injured. Harell could still throw the ball, but Crabtree couldn't play.

Having said that, there's no excuse for the poor defensive play. Tech has generally been one of the better defenses in the Big XII. So I have to agr ...[text shortened]... ill has a shot. Ole Miss beat Florida in the Swamp and OU whipped Tech worse than Ole Miss.
    Gee, excuses AGAIN. What a surprise.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 05:36
    I would edit my older post, but can't.

I really think Alabama will come back and win this game. Alabama clearly has the better athletes.
    Clearly.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 06:02
    Alabama does have better athletes. Utah had better coaching and a mismatch on the offensive line.

Of course pass blocking isn't Alabama's strength. Alabama is a much better running team. If they would have stuck to the run, they would have probably defeated Florida. They would have done better against Utah if they would have stuck with the run.

Any comments on how the tough SEC defense was able to shut down Tech?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 06:042 edits
    I will have to pat myself on the back for picking Ole Miss over Texas Tech on a previous thread. Although I did pick Alabama over Utah I did so on the premise that Utah was not a traditional power. In addition, I knew next to nothing about them. How could I? It is not like their games are nationally televised. Having said that, I am glad that Utah won. It is, or at least should be, the death blow to the BCS system. In fact, it is the first time in college football history that the national champion has been decided before the national championship game. They can snub them. They can even "share" the title with the winner of Florida/Oklahoma if they want to but the bottom line is that there be only ONE undefeated team in 1A ball and that be Utah. In addition, they did it in convincing fashion beating Alabama by far more points that Florida did.

Hats off to the 2008 undisputed national champions of college football!!!
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 06:15
    That's why we need a play-off.

Oh, and by the way, the MNC will come from the Florida vs Oklahoma game next week.
  9. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 06:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    In fact, it is the first time in college football history that the national champion has been decided before the national championship game. They can snub them. They can even "share" the title with the winner of Florida/Oklahoma if they want to but the bottom line is that there be only ONE undefeated team in 1A ball and that be Utah. In addition, they did it ...[text shortened]... at Florida did.

Hats off to the 2008 undisputed national champions of college football!!![/b]
    It's happened many times before that a team has gone undefeated and had to settle for 3rd or 4th. I remember the stink about SMU beating several top ten teams and going undefeated in the early 80's, for example.

Utah did not win by far more points against Alabama.. 3 more..

We do need a playoff. I agree.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 11:391 edit
    Alabama does have better athletes. Utah had better coaching and a mismatch on the offensive line.

Of course pass blocking isn't Alabama's strength. Alabama is a much better running team. If they would have stuck to the run, they would have probably defeated Florida. They would have done better against Utah if they would have stuck with the run.

Any comments on how the tough SEC defense was able to shut down Tech?
    They shut Tech's offense down good enough to win easily. Tech averaged 538 yards and 39 points in their three games against the Big 12's best; agsinst a 4 loss SEC team they were held to 469 yards and 34 points. They also ran up 515 yards against another pathetic Big 12 defense. That's 1080 yards allowed by two of the Big 12's elite along with 89 points. My original premise certainly seems vindicated (so far).
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 11:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    I will have to pat myself on the back for picking Ole Miss over Texas Tech on a previous thread. Although I did pick Alabama over Utah I did so on the premise that Utah was not a traditional power. In addition, I knew next to nothing about them. How could I? It is not like their games are nationally televised. Having said that, I am glad that Utah won. ...[text shortened]... at Florida did.

Hats off to the 2008 undisputed national champions of college football!!!
    I (gasp!) agree with whodey. Though the Utes did only win by 3 more points than Florida did against Alabama, they, unlike the Gators, totally dominated the Crimson Tide.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 15:43
    They shut Tech's offense down good enough to win easily. Tech averaged 538 yards and 39 points in their three games against the Big 12's best;

And OU didn't? You are such a hypocrite.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 16:34
    [b]They shut Tech's offense down good enough to win easily. Tech averaged 538 yards and 39 points in their three games against the Big 12's best;

And OU didn't? You are such a hypocrite.[/b]
    OU got to play at home against Tech; the 4 loss SEC team had to play them on a neutral field. We'll see what OU's defense does against Florida on a neutral field (they didn't do too well against Texas on one).
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 17:341 edit
    Now who is coming up with excuses?

That's the second hypocritcal post in a row.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 17:431 edit
    Now who is coming up with excuses?

That's the second hypocritcal post in a row.
    What "excuses"? What "hypocrisy"? Ole Miss WON as I predicted; they don't need "excuses".

You really are a blithering idiot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree